namgrunt

FEELING MANUPILATED?

As for spoiling the vote that could likely benefit the liberal party

I live in Calgary. There will be no Liberals elected in Calgary. :ph34r:

Don't get used to it. With the oil industry and growing economy you must have noticed Albertas population growing significantly and not because albertans are having more babies. Where are these newcomers from and what are their political beleifs?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Anyone thinking McCain is "liberal" really ought to take a good hard look at where they themselves fall on the political spectrum.

At what part of our history did the meaning of the term "liberal" change? I have always considered the founding fathers were the definition of liberals, yet I sense most people (from both sides of the political spectrum) would argue with me.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I have similar problems in Canada. I currently view the "Conservative Party of Canada" as the lesser of all evils. But even they do things that make me shake my head. I am seriously considering spoiling my ballot next time around (which could be this Spring, Summer or Fall). I know it is pretty much a wasted vote.

Too bad "Libertarian" has never really caught on in either country.

I'm from Canada. This is the last US presidential election in which I won't be able to vote. I will be a US citizen by the time of the 2012 presidential election--perhaps even by the 2010 midterm election if I'm lucky. So I'm looking at this election with a bit more of a sense of personal stake in the process than with past American elections, because I will be voting when the winner is up for re-election.

In my view the most important thing about this election is that the strong tradition of democracy in the US--sorely tested in 2000 and perhaps in 2004--be restored. I think this is far more important than who wins. We need a president who comes into office on Jan 20, 2009 with a strong mandate--something Bush has never had. That, more than anything, is what will restore faith in America worldwide.

It appears--barring something completely unforeseen--that the new president will one of three people: Clinton, McCain, or Obama. I'm not going to say which of these three I prefer, although I do have a personal preference. But I will say that there is a certain undefined--but very real--presidential "aura" that presidential candidates who are serious candidates acquire at a certain point in the race. All three major candidates, IMHO, have that presidential aura. (Bush, on the other hand, has never had that "presidential aura" despite being president for seven years.) That is why I am quite optimistic about the future of America and think the naysayers are wrong about America's alleged imminent demise.

As for Canada, I'm still legally a Canadian citizen, but to vote in a Canadian election, I'd need to sign a statement saying I eventually plan to return to Canada--something I don't feel comfortable doing as an intending US citizen. I will say, though, that I'm a little surprised that Canada--supposedly more liberal and progressive than the US--has four white men as the leaders of the only parties with seats in the House of Commons. The US has proven to be more progressive in giving people of other demographics a serious chance at the presidency--and that is a bit surprising given the role Canada likes to play internationally.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

As for Canada, I'm still legally a Canadian citizen, but to vote in a Canadian election, I'd need to sign a statement saying I eventually plan to return to Canada-

Really? I don't recall the constitution saying that anywhere. I voted from Mexico last time and i don't recall being asked to sign anything like that.

Sometimes I like the way you think
You should agree with me more :P:D

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Really? I don't recall the constitution saying that anywhere. I voted from Mexico last time and i don't recall being asked to sign anything like that.

I just checked the Elections Canada website. It was confusing at first. I entered my last Canadian address to register to vote, and it seems there is currently a byelection in progress in my old electoral district, so I was redirected to the different (and more stringent) requirements for byelections. However the following appears to be the general form for use for general elections when there is no byelection:

Elections Canada

The form requires one to sign the following statement: "I intend to return to Canada for the purpose of resuming residence. My probable date of return is..." and then you need to provide the month/year.

Are you sure you weren't asked to sign something like this? It is odd if the constitution doesn't require this but it seems pretty definite what they want you to sign. I think at one point in the past the form may have required signing something different but I'm sure I looked into this in 2006 and the form was the same or essentially the same as it is now.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Ya, maybe I did and didn't think about it. Normally that is the sort of thing that gets my shit in a knot though; the constitution says I get a vote, not I get a vote providing,...

Actually I can agree with that under certain conditions. If you are a canadian who works for a corporation that requires you to be overseas or have some reason why you as a canadian need to be out of the country then fine. I don't want a citizen of convenience who stayed here long enough to get a passport (or any of his relatives) living in some other country, only using his canadian status when he needs surgery or needs to get out of dodge to be able to influence the direction of the country since clearly he does not have the best interest of Canada in mind
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I don't want a citizen of convenience who stayed here long enough to get a passport (or any of his relatives) living in some other country, only using his canadian status when he needs surgery or needs to get out of dodge to be able to influence the direction of the country since clearly he does not have the best interest of Canada in mind

No argument there. However we need to treat the cause not the symptom. People with no legitimate interest in our country voting is the symptom, people with no legitimate interest in our country having a passport is the cause. If someone is a citizen they are a full citizen; we do need to put tighter controls on who gets that privilege.

You do know who Karl Rove is working with right now, yes? he was on television last night.:o

They're all whores. Did you see the commercial where Bill Frist and James Carville tour D.C. while acting like star-crossed lovers on their honeymoon, shilling for Coke? (And Carville was wearing a suit! :o)

Now I suppose you might say I'm just jealous I didn't get a $1 million commercial gig from Coke.
:|
And you'd be right.

ultra right wing evangelical neo-con politics we've seen in the last 8 years

That's friggin hilarious - to me it seems like they've been trying to out-Dem the Dems for the most part.

I am fiscally conservative. But I draw the line at being a conservative when evangelicals tell me that I have to follow their religion and their morals.

I'm sure that you can show just what laws were passed forcing you to do that, then.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm sure that you can show just what laws were passed forcing you to do that, then.

Stem Cell research. :P

you are upset with a position that encourages companies to PRIVATELY fund their own research???

it wasn't outlawed or even proposed to outlaw, it was just an issue of public funding in a private industry

some 'fiscal conservative' you are :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

it wasn't outlawed or even proposed to outlaw

You are correct, but Bush did say he would veto any Bill on the subject that made it to his desk. His religious (not economic) views are behind this decision. If he was concerned about spending money, he wouldn't be the great spender that he is.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

it wasn't outlawed or even proposed to outlaw

You are correct, but Bush did say he would veto any Bill on the subject that made it to his desk. His religious (not economic) views are behind this decision. If he was concerned about spending money, he wouldn't be the great spender that he is.

I agree - Even though he made the correct decision on this from a fiscal conservative viewpoint. I'm sure it had nothing to do with fiscal conservatism, but rather with his social liberalism.

He clearly represents the tendency of the nuts in the RNC to gravitate towards their own version of social liberalism and their clear abandonment of fiscal conservatism. In essence, we now have two DFL's one that's socially liberal to the left and willing to abandon fiscal conservatism for sake of their primary social agenda, and one that's socially liberal to the right and willing to abandon fiscal conservatism for sake of THEIR primary social agenda.

It bites. Bread and Circuses.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No argument there. However we need to treat the cause not the symptom. People with no legitimate interest in our country voting is the symptom, people with no legitimate interest in our country having a passport is the cause. If someone is a citizen they are a full citizen; we do need to put tighter controls on who gets that privilege.

I agree entirely, but I also think there should be some clause taht allows for a landed immigrant who has citizenship to have that citizenship revoked if they are not in compliance with certain implicit expectations (like living in Canada and/or doing their best to contribute), or if they are acting in a manner that clearly shows a conflict of interest.

But yes tighter controls in the first place would be easier.

How about we start with the intrusion of the religious wrong into the public school systems passing local laws to ban any kind of comprhensive sex education.. instead abstinince only will be taught.. and its nationwide... a grass roots movement of the far right to influence local schools..

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=3647

And lets not forget the laws passed forcing the teaching of the 7000 year old world called "intelligent design" as science.:S:S:S

There have been many inititiatives across the country to further a far right theologic based agenda to force "THEIR" thinking upon the masses.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lawmenu.htm

Here is a list for you of what is religious law.

Here - I'll restate his comment for you, maybe it will help:

"when evangelicals tell me that I have to follow their religion and their morals."

So...show me the laws that that this administration has passed that force him to do just that.

We probably *don't* want to get into the theory of social indoctrination in schools ... you wouldn't like the outcome.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Face it Mike there has been a concerted effort by the religious right to take over and indoctrinate the youth of America. It is their way of dictating law by getting elected to local school boards all across the country. They are the ones who seek dominion and a christocracy in America.

Perhaps if you came home to America and saw the direction your far right wing buddies are takling us you might think differently.. Then again.. I think you are probably with them.. and certainly not against them

Could you try to read something you dont agree with just for once???

http://www.theocracywatch.org/

Theocracy is derived from the two Greek words Qeo/j(Theos) meaning "God" and kra/tein (cratein) meaning "to rule." The Reverend Rod Parsley, a champion of theocracy, or what he calls a "christocracy," told his congregation at the World Harvest Church, located just outside Columbus, Ohio, "Theocracy means God is in control, and you are not." more

The theocratic right seeks to establish dominion, or control over society in the name of God. D. James Kennedy, Pastor of Coral Ridge Ministries, calls on his followers to exercise "godly dominion ... over every aspect ... of human society." At a "Reclaiming America for Christ" conference in February, 2005, Kennedy said:

Our job is to reclaim America for Christ, whatever the cost. As the vice regents of God, we are to exercise godly dominion and influence over our neighborhoods, our schools, our government, our literature and arts, our sports arenas, our entertainment media, our news media, our scientific endeavors -- in short, over every aspect and institution of human society.

Twenty-five years ago dominionists targeted the Republican Party as the vehicle through which they could advance their agenda. At the same time, a small group of Republican strategists targeted fundamentalist, Pentecostal and charismatic churches to expand the base of the Republican Party. This web site is not about traditional Republicans or conservative Christians. It is about the manipulation of people of a certain faith for political power. It is about the rise of dominionists in the U.S. federal government.

Today's hard right seeks total dominion. It's packing the courts and rigging the rules. The target is not the Democrats but democracy itself. more

According to acclaimed journalist and television host Bill Moyers,

True, people of faith have always tried to bring their interpretation of the Bible to bear on American laws and morals ... it's the American way, encouraged and protected by the First Amendment. But what is unique today is that the radical religious right has succeeded in taking over one of America's great political parties. The country is not yet a theocracy but the Republican Party is, and they are driving American politics, using God as a a battering ram on almost every issue: crime and punishment, foreign policy, health care, taxation, energy, regulation, social services and so on. more