BillyVance

Sex offender in the neighborhood

That is why they get more concerened rather than equally concerned?

Because the crime is more serious.

Debateable, but yes obviously some context might be required.
A store owner torturing a shoplifter to death would obviously be a more serious offence than the shoplifting. That said, if a serial rapist out on day parole for the umpteenth time gets attacked by a mob and sustains multiple broken bones I expect the cops to ask themselves if these vigilantes really represent that much of a threat to the public.

The cops should not ask themselves anything, nor the cops should make a decision regarding how much threat someone represents to the public. For that we have judges and jurors. The cops are to enforce the existing laws.

And if we look on the situation from that angle, here's what we get. A serial rapist was released on parole after serving jail time (it looks very unlikely to me that a serial rapist could ever get a parole without serving some jail time). I suspect that someone have to show excellent behavior to get out of jail on parole. Especially in such case - we're not talking about someone illegally downloading music from Internet, we're talking about a serial rapist, who - if released early and committed a crime - could attract a lot of media attention. So I'd assume that this person definitely did extraordinary good to be released on parole, and the law at that moment has no questions to him.

Now look at the mob. In terms of law we have an organized gang, which assembled with intention to commit a crime against a person. I do not know the details of U.S. law, but in the most countries I've lived the organized crime does take much more attention from the law, and always carries stiffer penalties. Actually just the fact they assembled there with such intention, were going to do it, but stopped by law enforcement, might be already a crime punishable by jail time.

I am sure you can point out extremes but the perception is that for two equal crimes, the one carried out by a vigilante will get more attention.

And this is correct. The person who has justifies himself to take a law enforcement into their own hands is already dangerous. Today he decides a released convict should be punished by some broken bones. And tomorrow the same person will kick the shit out of another person who, he thinks, looked lustfully on his daughter (or on his ass in a gym). After all, if he already decided that the law sucks and does not do the job, so he has to do it - why should he ever stop? Why not to kick the shit out of some gays then, who violate the Highest Law?

No I'm upset that when a decent human being gets hurt they are in effect told to "take a number" yet if one of the bad guys gets hurt the system dedicates it's efforts all of a sudden.

My opinion that it depends on the circumstances the person gets hurt, not on the kind of person who gets hurt.

I want the system to remind itself that most vigilantes who take the law into their own hands are usually decent people reacting to extreme circumstances, while criminals simply do it for amusement or profit.

Maybe I missed something, but a person who is organizing a mob to beat someone released from jail after serving several years there does not look for me a "decent person reacting to extreme circumstances" at all.

And if you ever talk to a criminal, most of them will tell you that they did not want to commit any crime, they were victim of extreme circumstances and society abuse, and should be released from the jail immediately. Nobody was born as a criminal - everyone is born as decent citizen.

If a man beat the shit out of someone who molested his daughter I will not fear him moving into my neighborhood since he is not likely to be a threat to the average person

It depends. He could beat the shit out of you because he thinks you want to molest his daughter, or you look similar to someone from the sex offender list (the pics there are pretty crappy quality anyway).
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

This is usually how someone ends up on the sex offender list without doing jail time:

Guy (or girl) gets arrested for a sex-related crime. Maybe he's guilty. Maybe he isn't. Either way, he's in custody and probably scared. Prosecutor doesn't have much evidence and has a shaky case, so he offers a really good deal to get the defendant to plead out. Defendant doesn't have much money. Prosecutor says "plead guilty, and you get to go home today, no jail time." The guy knows he can't get bail together and will be sitting in jail until his trial, or even if he does make bail, he has to deal with all the hassle of a trial, and might end up back in jail anyway. So, guy takes the plea, signs what he's told to sign, doesn't really read it all, and ignores the little box at the bottom of the form he signs saying he has to register as a sex offender. All he hears is "you get to go home today." So, he ends up on the list, passing out notices everywhere he lives.

Yep...but the thread says "Sex offender in the neighborhood":|

I guess the title suggests that this guy is a real "sex offender", we don't know if this guy is a fucking offender, or a victim of social injustice. The stigma associated with a "sex offender" lends itself to the barbaric responses to the subject.

Hell...who doesen't want to kill a person who preys on kids>:( WE ALL WOULD:)
I hope that the hate and evil intentions expressed here are for the genuine sexual predators that are out there.

The problem is, we cannot trust our legal system to properly identify the people that pose a real risk. They lump all "sexual deviants" in the "sex offender" category...christ, if you get caught pissing in public, you get on the list. That isn't the intent of the list, but that's the kinda shit that happens...now you have to register your "deviant" behaviour...FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

The prosecution of the laws need to reflect the intent of the law...but it doesn't.

Just see what happens if you get caught having sex with your wife or girlfriend at a boogie in a secluded, but public, place away from the airport. Your gonna be a sex offender and required to register as such...FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

Kill'em all, let God sort'em out...right;)

Jon

I think I made it clear that I am addressing the larger picture rather than the specifics of this case and yet you keep countering with the specifics of this case.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I suspect that someone have to show excellent behavior to get out of jail on parole.

You suspect wrong.......very wrong. Look at Peter "parole me again" Whitmore.

Now look at the mob. In terms of law we have an organized gang, which assembled with intention to commit a crime against a person. I do not know the details of U.S. law, but in the most countries I've lived the organized crime does take much more attention from the law, and always carries stiffer penalties.

That is organized crime? So if me and three of my freind "organize" between the three of us to buy an illegal pay per view descrambler are we organized crime?

The person who has justifies himself to take a law enforcement into their own hands is already dangerous. Today he decides a released convict should be punished by some broken bones. And tomorrow the same person will kick the shit out of another person who, he thinks, looked lustfully on his daughter (or on his ass in a gym).

So we will base the vigilantes punishment
on what he might do next time rather than just the crime in isolation? Can we start doing that with sex offenders since studies have shown they tend to re-offend?

Why not to kick the shit out of some gays then, who violate the Highest Law?

Straw man. Someone who kicks the crap out of a guy who molests his daughter is not neccessarily pre-determined to go "wow i fucking hate gays.....damn i want to kick the shit out of one of them

Maybe I missed something, but a person who is organizing a mob to beat someone released from jail after serving several years there does not look for me a "decent person reacting to extreme circumstances" at all.

What if the guy molested a couple of six year olds and somehow got a weak sentence (it does happen). And the mob consists of the parents of the children when he moves back into the neighborhood

And if you ever talk to a criminal, most of them will tell you that they did not want to commit any crime, they were victim of extreme circumstances and society abuse, and should be released from the jail immediately.

And all I hear is bleeding hearts buying into that crap. Every time a crack monkey kicks the crap out of a senior citizen or shoots some guy while robbing him everyone goes on about "harsh punishment isn't the answer, lets try to understand him, lets look at the root causes" yet when someone who is sick of being a victim of these jerks takes the law into his own hands all this bleading heart crap disappears and they want to punish

If a man beat the shit out of someone who molested his daughter I will not fear him moving into my neighborhood since he is not likely to be a threat to the average person

It depends. He could beat the shit out of you because he thinks you want to molest his daughter, or you look similar to someone from the sex offender list (the pics there are pretty crappy quality anyway).

Has this become a serious problem? Do we have large numbers of parents of molested children who have taken the law into thier own hands once suddenly going on rampages mangling everyone in sight on the off chance that they might molest?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You suspect wrong.......very wrong. Look at Peter "parole me again" Whitmore.

You just said you're addressing the large picture. Are you sure this example really represents the large picture, and not just a single fuckup (which do happen)?

That is organized crime? So if me and three of my freind "organize" between the three of us to buy an illegal pay per view descrambler are we organized crime?

There is a small difference between getting illegal descrambler, and beating the people released from the prison, isn't it? And if you and your two friends organize between three of you to mayhem released sex offenders under the name "Establishing the justice", and commit it at least once, you fall under the definition of "organized street gang" as defined in California Penal Code Section 186.22(f). And yes, crimes committed by a criminal street gang are considered "organized crime" according to 186.2(d).

So we will base the vigilantes punishment on what he might do next time rather than just the crime in isolation? Can we start doing that with sex offenders since studies have shown they tend to re-offend?

We're already doing it. That's what sex offender registration is for.

Straw man. Someone who kicks the crap out of a guy who molests his daughter is not neccessarily pre-determined to go "wow i fucking hate gays.....damn i want to kick the shit out of one of them

That's only if someone understands that what he is doing is revenge, not justice.
If the person thinks it was justice, and he had the right to enforce it, why not? Obviously it won't be based on "I hate gays", it will be based on "what they are doing, is a deadly sin, which should carry a death penalty according to The Book".

What if the guy molested a couple of six year olds and somehow got a weak sentence (it does happen).

Could you please provide a couple of links where/when it happened?

And all I hear is bleeding hearts buying into that crap. Every time a crack monkey kicks the crap out of a senior citizen or shoots some guy while robbing him everyone goes on about "harsh punishment isn't the answer, lets try to understand him, lets look at the root causes" yet when someone who is sick of being a victim of these jerks takes the law into his own hands all this bleading heart crap disappears and they want to punish

I do not understand whether you're talking now about self-defense, or about someone who considered himself blessed to enforce the law on his own.

Has this become a serious problem? Do we have large numbers of parents of molested children who have taken the law into thier own hands once suddenly going on rampages mangling everyone in sight on the off chance that they might molest?

Do we ever have large numbers of parents of molested children who have taken the law into thier own hands?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *