AggieDave

*sigh* wear a helmet

Well this drug dealer was cooking down crack and selling it in moderate quantities. It involved a vehicle pursuit, a foot chase and a bit of a fight as well. I'm not going to argue what narcotics you think are good or bad or what you think should be done. I'll tell you from my personal experience that the illicit drug trade is tearing people's lives apart.

Dave, I'm walking a thin line here trying to not get this thread moved to Speakers Corner, so bear with me. I do not see the havoc wreaked by drugs on a daily basis (like you do) but I understand that substance abuse is a horrendous thing. I choose not to use any intoxicants at all.

With the vehicle pursuit, foot chase, and fight, I can understand he deserves time for putting others at risk by doing that stuff. I don't understand the whole drug dealer scenario, though. Do drug dealers tend to also regularly commit non-drug-related crimes that impact society?

Meth labs *clearly* put others at risk of exposure to explosions, fire, and exposure to hazardous chemicals. That makes them dangerous to society and prime candidates for prison, IMO.

What about the people who do not manufacture meth, but just sell it? Do they tend to put the public at risk also, or generally is their criminal activity limited to financial transactions involving drugs?

Same for crack dealers, heroin dealers, and other types of drug dealers.

Walt

I'm going to step up on my soap box regarding this issue, so please forgive me.
People say its up to the rider with regard to the use of a helmet, if the have a crash and die in the accident they only hurt them self. I can not disagree more.

On September 13, 2007 at 0530 hrs I was on my way home. A 57 year old male ran a red light and impacted the side of my vehicle while riding his motorcycle without a helmet. I exited my vehicle to go see if I could help him. His only OBVIOUS injury at the time of the crash was his open head injury. Although he did have other less serious injuries, he died from the injury to his brain.

Although this accident wasn't my fault I still have nightmares about the accident. I can't drive by the intersection where the crash occurred without feeling depressed and on more than one occasion I have broken down in tears.

My feelings aside, this man left behind a wife, children, grandchildren, and other family. Who have all morned his loss.

This tragedy as well as many others could have been prevented by the use of a safety helmet. Yes, they can be hot, cumbersome, and uncomfortable in some peoples opinion but the fact is, they save lives. The decision not to wear a helmet affects MANY more people that the rider. Please be safe.

Chuck

I wear mine "when appropriate." On all highway trips, but not to Kroger or my office 3.9 miles down Memorial. Field of view is important.
------------------------------------------------------
OK. Using that logic, did you hear about the guy that heard most vehicle accidents happen within 5 miles of home?

The whole "most accidents happen within 5 miles of the home" is skewed. Duh, you're more likely to have an accident that close to home because you spend most of your time that close to home. If you spent an exact equal amount of time 20 miles from home, you would be just as likely to have an accident 20 miles away.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I wear mine "when appropriate." On all highway trips, but not to Kroger or my office 3.9 miles down Memorial. Field of view is important.
------------------------------------------------------
OK. Using that logic, did you hear about the guy that heard most vehicle accidents happen within 5 miles of home?

The whole "most accidents happen within 5 miles of the home" is skewed. Duh, you're more likely to have an accident that close to home because you spend most of your time that close to home. If you spent an exact equal amount of time 20 miles from home, you would be just as likely to have an accident 20 miles away.

Yep.

The joke is still funny.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The VAST MAJORITY of all motor vehicle accidents occur within a few miles of home, so - in theory at least - that's the most important time to have one on.:o

And c'mon, Russ - "field of view" is a little lame as a reason not to wear a lid, don't you think?

People who ride should decide, but let's not try to justify riding without a helmet by citing silly shit.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Silly girl. You are mistakenly thinking that since you figured out there is a statistical "skew" to the "close to home" category of accidents, that somehow a rider isn't in more danger there. But the very fact you mention (that a rider spends more time close to home than elsewhere) is WHY there are more accidents there.

So regardless of how "skewed" you believe that stat may be, it is still true.

It is also well established that people are less diligent and routinely careless when driving or riding near home. This fact is a big contributor to the "skewed" stat you site. ;)

Chuck

Silly girl. You are mistakenly thinking that since you figured out there is a statistical "skew" to the "close to home" category of accidents, that somehow a rider isn't in more danger there. But the very fact you mention (that a rider spends more time close to home than elsewhere) is WHY there are more accidents there.

So regardless of how "skewed" you believe that stat may be, it is still true.

It is also well established that people are less diligent and routinely careless when driving or riding near home. This fact is a big contributor to the "skewed" stat you site. ;)

Silly YOU. She is dead on.. it is TIME OF EXPOSURE that matters, NOT Location. Your argument is as flawed as those who site 'skydiving is safer than driving':S

Dont confuse the real factors. Many of us travel quite alot, spending less than 1 week per month "at Home". To argue I'm at more of a risk for the 1 week a month I'm near my 'permanent residence' than the 3 weeks of the month that I'm out traveling is simply incorrect.

* I thought this was the United States,
* where an individual is given the right to choose.

Choose one--you can't have both.

Walt

Are you trying to get everything bumped to SC today? :P

I was impulsive in posting that. Sorry. It was, and still is, my honest opinion but it's SC material for sure.

Walt

On all highway trips, but not to Kroger or my office 3.9 miles down Memorial. Field of view is important.

I have heard the "field of view" thing before from a few people. I don't understand that logic. If you can't see very well with a helmet on, then why does every motor sport racer (motorcycle or car) wear one? They are going at breakneck speeds with sharp turns and other racers trying to get in their way. If anybody needs to see well you think it would be these guys, yet they all wear them.

And wearing a helmet depending on your destination seems odd. It's like your saying you can plan for when you are going to have an accident. But if you could do that, it wouldn't be called an accident...it would be called an on-purpose.
Life is good

I thought this was the United States, where an individual is given the right to choose.

I thought it was a internet forum....guess I'm not that bright ;)

PS.....I could have some real fun if I ever wanted to post in SC...you people are way too easy to get going. :PB|

I could have some real fun if I ever wanted to post in SC...you people are way too easy to get going. :PB|

coulda, woulda... waaah.

step up and bring it, but be warned everyone in SC has had quite alot of time to sharpen their knifes against casual trolls.

heh.

I ride. I always alway ALWAYS wear a helmet. However, mandatory helmet laws are for the birds. This is going to sound harsh, but it clears out the gene pool. Let Darwin's work be done, i say.

You dumb enough to ride without a helmet? you get outta my gene pool.

I find as i get older i have a lower and lower tolerance for outright stupidity...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I no longer feel sorry for people who go in on a motorcycle-especially a place like Houston.....I have seen at least 8 killed or dead on the side of the road in the last ten years........the last one was on the toll-way and Westhiemer about a year ago while I was on my way to Spaceland..........he was total roadrash, road kill and the poor woman who hit him was just freaking out. I did not see it happen, but it probably happened about 30 seconds before it was in my field of view. That guy was a real mess.[:/]

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I ride. I wear a lid. I don't try to tell others whether to wear one or not, that is their choice. But I am SO TIRED of all the BS reasons not to wear.
"It lowers my peripheral vison." Bullshit! Good quality helmets do not interfer at all with vision.
"I can't hear." Again, BULLSHIT! Most who make this argument are running exhaust so loud they can't hear themselves think.
And, to keep the post short, the last and stupidest one I ever heard.."If I wreck along a guardrail the helmet can snag and break my neck". Yep, it sure can. But at least you have a better chance of living than if it were your bare head that snagged on that guardrail.
If you don't want to wear, and the law doesn't make you, then by all means feel free to ride with the wind blowing through your hair. But stop with the bullshit reasoning.

heh.

I ride. I always alway ALWAYS wear a helmet. However, mandatory helmet laws are for the birds. This is going to sound harsh, but it clears out the gene pool. Let Darwin's work be done, i say.

You dumb enough to ride without a helmet? you get outta my gene pool.

I find as i get older i have a lower and lower tolerance for outright stupidity...

I wouldn't call those who ride lidless "dumb". I've been on a bike since my minibike in 1965. I rode scrambles and motocross up until the mid 70's and been on streetbikes since 76. In Mo. we have a helmet law but most of our runs go to Illinois where there is no lid law. Some take them off, some don't. Personal choice. When I lived in California during the lidless days, I never put on my helmet. I kinda enjoyed the wind in my hair. I don't mind wearing the helmet but, I'd like to have the choice to do so or not. Being on a lone stretch of highway on a hot day, it is nice to be able to take it off and just enjoy the wind.
As for fatalities, the largest percent (47%) is contributed to inexperienced new riders above 40yo on bikes they are not able to handle. I just laugh at some yuppie who goes out and buys a "custom" bike for 20k or more and then buys several thousand dollars worth of leather only to seldom ride the bike and eventually wreck it because they do not have the experienced required to ride properly. I can't begain to count the miles I put under my ass. In all the years I've been riding I've had 3 accidents. Hit by one car, one motorcycle and lost it in a curve at Otay Lakes when I hit a squirrel. In two of the accidents, I had a helmet on. The squirrel incident I did not. In none of those incidents would a helmet had mattered. I was lucky that they ended up that way. But, that is also where experience comes into play. Knowing how to land when coming off a bike. Maybe all the years of dirt comes into play for that. Though, it's true that even years of experience will not save you. Also, I'd point out that the majority of those whom I know who have died in motorcycle accidents were very experienced riders. Most, a helmet would not had done a bit of good due to internal injuries. In a few cases, a helmet might had saved them. There is also a difference in who rides. Your true biker (patch holders and lone wolfs) is far more experienced than the weekend rider. Someone who lives on their bike day in and day out is going to be more capable to handle a situation than the Rub who plonks down 20k+ for a bike barely worth half that and rides to the local HOG meeting once a month. One only needs to look at the numbers to see who is getting killed. My opinion is that someone who has never been on a bike has no business getting on a big bike. The nubers show that the majority are getting killed on big bikes. I worked my way up form the minibike tomy last motocrossbike (360cz) to a honda cb350 to a sportster onto my Norton 750 chopper, several shovelheads, one Indian Chief, my Fatboy and then back to my Norton chop which is now a stroked 1000 (soon to be back on the road). I can only shake my head at those who think they can handle something so big but have never even been on something small. I shake my head even more when I see someone going down the highway with a full face on and wearing shorts and sandals. Not much good a helmet is going to do them when they hit the meat grinder. I almost always wear my chaps and leather jacket as well as shorty gloves. But, it's my choice to wear leather. Wouldn't want a law requiring it the same as I oppose the law requiring the lid.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Amen to the helmet use and thanks for what you do Dave.

I have a very good idea of what a helmet can protect someone from. Believe me, you don't want to go through what I have been through and I was enormously lucky.

So you advocate the govt. to require you to wear a helmet whilst walking down the stairs? :P;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Choice, shmoice. "Choice" only applies if the general population is not adversely affected.

If fewer bikers wear helmets, more bikers will be seriously injured or killed from head injuries. That means everybody else on the road stands a greater chance of being held liable sue to getting into an accident with a biker who winds up being seriously injured or killed. That means auto liability insurers will be paying out more money on serious claims from bikers or their survivors. And that means everyone's automobile liability insurance premiums go up.

Lack of helmet laws translates to higher auto insurance premiums for everyone. And that makes it everyone's business.

I had a CB350... PITA to keep the carbs adjusted on the damn thing...

Pita is very nutritious, but it is also very high on carbs. As a friend, I'd recommend the Atkins or the South Beach diet if your ass is getting too fat for your wingloading.