Butters

Carbon Offsets

Ronald Reagan thought selling pollution credits was a great idea, and GHW Bush got them enshrined in law in the 1990 Clean Air Act. (An early version had been in place as long ago as the Nixon administration).

It's funny that these darlings of the GOP have suddenly become bad now that a leading DEM is using them.

The problem with the GOP incantation was that it rewarded people for polluting, just not as much as they could. Seems likely to reward the people who are there at the beginning with a really bad baseline. And that always seemed to be intent for solving the problem with pollution credits. Without making any real effort, companies should be slowly gaining efficiency. Shouldn't be rewarded for that level of improvement. (Same with stock options for CEOs)

It would certainly move things along if people could be credited for not polluting (mass transit or bicycle over car), but how to fairly implement it without widespread cheating is over my head. It's much easier to punish for bad behavior (tax on new car purchase) then to reward for good behavior (keep car for 10 years, or trade in gas guzzler for efficient car).

Ronald Reagan thought selling pollution credits was a great idea, and GHW Bush got them enshrined in law in the 1990 Clean Air Act. (An early version had been in place as long ago as the Nixon administration).

It's funny that these darlings of the GOP have suddenly become bad now that a leading DEM is using them.

The problem with the GOP incantation was that it rewarded people for polluting, just not as much as they could. Seems likely to reward the people who are there at the beginning with a really bad baseline. And that always seemed to be intent for solving the problem with pollution credits. Without making any real effort, companies should be slowly gaining efficiency. Shouldn't be rewarded for that level of improvement. (Same with stock options for CEOs)

It would certainly move things along if people could be credited for not polluting (mass transit or bicycle over car), but how to fairly implement it without widespread cheating is over my head. It's much easier to punish for bad behavior (tax on new car purchase) then to reward for good behavior (keep car for 10 years, or trade in gas guzzler for efficient car).

Well, the argument is that pollution credits allow the market to decide which is the most cost efficient way of achieving the objective, with all the economic advantages inherent in the free market.

Now, I'm not claiming that the implementation has been perfect, but that's a whole different issue. Inherently there is absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of credits in order to reduce pollution. The fuss has ALL come about because of partisan sniping at Al Gore. And that IS a double standard.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Should someone who rides a bike (or walks) to save money be able to sell carbon offsets to people who drive a car?

YOU BETTER GIVE ME MONEY OR I'LL START DRIVING AGAIN.....

this is a perfect example of carbon credits and shows just how ridiculous the concept is - just another way to try and get some money for free to pay for stuff one would do if they were responsible in the first place

just wait until Congress imposes a "Carbon Credit Tax" and forces on everyone

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

And that IS a double standard.

Just as much as the Goreacle® preaching about global warming and saving energy when his house consumes as much as a small village.

Thank you for making my case.:)

Should someone who rides a bike (or walks) to save money be able to sell carbon offsets to people who drive a car?

Double standard, anyone?

Double standard? Only for people like you who are unable to separate politics from problems and solutions ... for the rest of us they have allows been bad.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Double standard, anyone?

Double standard? Only for people like you who are unable to separate politics from problems and solutions ... for the rest of us they have allows been bad.

Really? How come I haven't heard such an outcry about pollution credits from you before Gore, then?

You have demonstrated a double standard, however you choose to play it.

Double standard, anyone?

Really? How come I haven't heard such an outcry about pollution credits from you before Gore, then?

You have demonstrated a double standard, however you choose to play it.

Actually, no... the double standard is the view that pollution credits (yesteryear's 'carbon offsets') are bad, and carbon offsets are good, when they both had the same aim.

My example about the Goreacle® is more illustrative of hypocrisy, actually...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

er, because:

Butters didn't join this website until last year

Butters was likely in high school or earlier when Reagan was president

I'm not even sure DZ.com was in existence when Reagan was president

The thread topic is "Carbon Offsets"

you need any more?

How come I haven't seen YOU give outcry about pollution credits? nothing, nada, zilch

I'm also very disappointed to see you express zero outrage over Grover Cleveland tasing those rapscallions in Chicago.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How come I haven't seen YOU give outcry about pollution credits? nothing, nada, zilch

Why should I? I believe in a free market. Pollution credits (whether for CO2 or SO2) seem like a good idea to me IF they're properly implemented. The right wing outrage ONLY started after Gore was found to be using them. THAT is hypocrisy. (Rather like Bush's attack on earmarks only after the Dems won Congress).

Why should I? I believe in a free market. Pollution credits (whether for CO2 or SO2) seem like a good idea to me IF they're properly implemented. The right wing outrage ONLY started after Gore was found to be using them. THAT is hypocrisy. (Rather like Bush's attack on earmarks only after the Dems won Congress).

Then you had better start saving your pennies to buy pollution credits for all the stinky flatulence you spew all over this forum.

I am not responsible for the above statement. The vast right wing conspiracy made me do it.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

How come I haven't heard such an outcry about pollution credits from you before Gore, then?

Because NOBODY BEFORE GORE GOT A NOBEL PEACE PRIZE FOR PROSELYTIZING WHILE ACTING IN OPPOSITE TO HIS STATEMENTS.

I complained that Arafat got one - a terrorist receiving a peace prize?

Would the Dalai Lama receive a peace prize for advocating nonviolence if he occasionally massacred people?

What if Nelson Mandela, awarded a peace prize for his efforts to create democracy and end apartheid, assumed a dictatorship and kept whites down in a race-based system?

Or if Jody Williams assumed the controlling shares of stock in the highly profitable "Bouncing Betty International Land Mine Company - providing quality antipersonnel mines to the world for 60 years."

Or if Linus Pauling leased his Nevada Desert Property to the Military to conduct nuclear weapons testing?

Or if Mother Teresa was known to forcibly eject the destitute from her palaces?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

So let me understand: pollution credits, the idea of the right, supported by the GOP, implemented under Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Bush1, are now anathema to the right and the work of the devil.

OK, I understand completely.

>Because NOBODY BEFORE GORE GOT A NOBEL PEACE PRIZE . . .

I think hatin' on Gore, while fun, detracts from rational discussion.

Nixon's actions did not mean that all republicans are crooks. Craig's actions do not mean that all republicans patronize gay hookers. Jefferson's bribe taking did not mean that all democrats have money in their freezers.

Carbon trading/carbon credits are concepts that preceded Gore and has little to do with him (other than his advocacy of it.) There are pluses and minuses to both; the primary issues have little to do with an overweight former VP.

McDonald's has all the calorie and food information available on it's website

They call it "Nutrition" information - despite the fact that a #1 value meal (medium) uses up most of my day's calorie budget with little extras except sodium and fats.

I love the people on here with thousands (+) of jumps, basically wasted fuel and added greenhouse gasses for ones own amusement, arguing about how they are helping the environment.

What a crock of shit.

Keep up the hypocrisy.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

> I love the people on here with thousands (+) of jumps, basically wasted fuel . . .

You seem to think that the only "valid" environmentalist is one who freezes in the dark while doing nothing. And that is COMPLETELY missing the point.

Want to have a big house with a bigscreen TV and a computer that's on all the time? Fine. Get a solar power system. Or buy your power from a wind farm to offset it that way. Or buy carbon credits to offset it that way.

Want to skydive? Put in a solar power system at the DZ so they burn less propane. Net result is that because of you there is STILL less fuel used overall. Or buy carbon credits so someone else can do the same.

The key is not to do nothing. The key is to do what you want - sustainably.

You seem to think that the only "valid" environmentalist is one who freezes in the dark while doing nothing. And that is COMPLETELY missing the point.

No my point is that you cannot be both an environmentalist and a skydiver at the same time. Skydiving is purely for fun, and a waste of fuel.

Want to skydive? Put in a solar power system at the DZ so they burn less propane. Net result is that because of you there is STILL less fuel used overall. Or buy carbon credits so someone else can do the same.

Again if you skydive you are still using MORE fuel than need be. You can buy all the carbon credits you want but YOU are still wasting fuel for your own amusement. Not very environmentally sound.

No my point is that you cannot be both an environmentalist and a skydiver at the same time. Skydiving is purely for fun, and a waste of fuel.

Again if you skydive you are still using MORE fuel than need be. You can buy all the carbon credits you want but YOU are still wasting fuel for your own amusement. Not very environmentally sound.

Wrong. Provided you can live, work, skydive, water ski, or whatever, SUSTAINABLY, then you are not adding to the planet's problems. Pollution credits are one mechanism for enabling a sustainable lifestyle.

>No my point is that you cannot be both an environmentalist and a skydiver
>at the same time. Skydiving is purely for fun, and a waste of fuel.

Right. And you can't drive a car if you're an environmentalist, because it's a waste of energy. And you can't eat meat if you're an environmentalist because it takes at least 10x the energy to grow a pound of meat as to grow a pound of corn. And you can't have air conditioning, or heat, or hot water, or electricity, or clothing - because all those are wastes of energy, and you can live without them.

I call bullshit. You can do whatever you like, whenever you like. That's called freedom. You can also _choose_ to do those things so that they do not adversely impact the environment. That's called environmentalism.

>You can buy all the carbon credits you want but YOU are still wasting fuel
>for your own amusement. Not very environmentally sound.

Someone who buys carbon credits and skydives is producing less carbon than you are. Someone who generates their own power, feeds the excess back and skydives is using less energy than you are. In other words, they are more environmentally sound.

Call bullshit all you want.

Wearing clothes, or using heat to keep you warm is not in the same ballpark as skydiving.

Skydiving is a PURE waste of energy. Pepople do not need to skydive to live. However people do need cloths, warmth, and sometime cool air to live. That is the difference. when someone heats their house so as not to freeze, that is not a waste of fuel. When someone jumps out of a plane for their own amusement, that is a WASTE of energy. It does not matter that the person is environmentally responsible in the rest of their life. that person is still wasting fuel.

You can spin it anyway you want, but you still are or have wasted alot of fuel for you own enjoyment.

>Wearing clothes, or using heat to keep you warm is not in the same
>ballpark as skydiving.

So training Navy SEALS is a waste of energy - but keeping your house at 75F in the winter is not? An odd metric.

>Pepople do not need to skydive to live. However people do need cloths,
>warmth, and sometime cool air to live.

People ENJOY cool air. People lived for tens of thousands of years without air conditioning, so it's not a requirement for life. But since you are used to it, you decide that you "need it to live."

And there is nothing wrong with enjoying air conditioning, either. You can even do it in an environmentally sound fashion by using a swamp cooler and running the blower via a solar power system. (Or by using a refrigeration cycle cooler with even more air conditioning.)

>That is the difference. when someone heats their house so as not to
>freeze, that is not a waste of fuel.

I contend that when someone heats their house to 75F in the winter, that's as much of a "waste" as skydiving. They do not need their house at 75F. They do it because they enjoy the extra warmth.

And again, there's nothing wrong with that. Use a geothermal heat pump and buy your power from a 100% wind-sourced power company.

>You can spin it anyway you want, but you still are or have wasted alot of
>fuel for you own enjoyment.

By your criteria - so have you. The difference is that I am willing to do something about it, because I think that's the right thing to do. If you decide that makes me a hypocrite, so be it. I've been called worse.