BIGUN

Amputee Ineligible for Olympic Events

LONDON — Track and field’s world governing body ruled on Monday that Oscar Pistorius, a double-amputee sprinter from South Africa, is not be eligible to compete in Olympic qualifying events. The International Association of Athletics Federations explained in a statement that, after an independent scientific study, it deemed Pistorius’s state-of-the-art carbon fiber prosthetics “should be considered as technical aids which give him an advantage over other athletes not using them.”

Pistorius’s agent, Peet Van Zyl, said that he and Pistorius were seeking legal advice in order to prepare an appeal. “We need to speak with the I.A.A.F. first and see what approaches we can follow there,” Van Zyl said in a telephone interview from South Africa. “The last resort will probably be the Court of Arbitration for Sport.”

Pistorius, 21, was born without fibulas and had both legs amputated below the knee when he was 11 months old. But in the four years since he started competing, he has set Paralympic world records in the 100, 200 and 400 meters and it was his dream to compete in the Olympic Games.

The I.A.A.F. had originally cleared him to compete against able-bodied athletes last June, pending further scientific examination of his j-shaped blades, known as Cheetahs. But in the meantime, Pistorius became the focus of an intense ethical debate over the limits which should be placed on technology. So last November, the I.A.A.F. arranged for Pistorius to travel to Cologne, Germany, where he was tested for two days under the supervision of Peter Brueggemann, a professor at the German Sport University.

Brueggemann’s biomechanical and physiological analysis found that from a mechanical standpoint, the Cheetahs were more efficient than a human ankle and could in fact return energy in maximum speed sprinting. Specifically, he established that “the mechanical advantage of the blade in relation to the healthy ankle joint of an able-bodied athlete is higher than 30 percent.” This means, according to the statement, that Pistorius was able to run at the same speed as the able-bodied sprinters with about “25 percent less energy expenditure.”
In a telephone interview last week, however, Brueggemann noted that this did not necessarily translate to a general advantage. Still, it was enough for the I.A.A.F. to decide that the Cheetahs are in “clear contravention” of the rules.

Last week, the I.A.A.F. allowed Pistorius to circulate the findings from the Cologne tests to a number of other experts. Based on their opinions, Van Zyl believes that Pistorius still has a strong case.

“Everyone that came back to us said that there were too many variables that weren’t considered and that more testing should be done,” he said. “They said a verdict can’t be reached only on the information that was collected.”

Van Zyl added that, though Pistorius was “obviously disappointed,” he had seen the decision coming. The I.A.A.F. was originally supposed to deliver its verdict last Thursday, before pushing it back to Saturday, and again to Monday, in order to allow Pistorius time to give a formal response. He did so last Friday, promising to appeal any decision against him.

“I feel that it is my responsibility,” Pistorius told The Associated Press, “on behalf of myself and all other disabled athletes, to stand firmly and not allow one organization to inhibit our ability to compete using the very tools without which we simply cannot walk, let alone run. I will not stand down.”

The statement from the I.A.A.F. only specified the Cheetahs, manufactured by the Icelandic-based company Ossur, as illegal technical aids. It remains unclear what the ruling will mean for other disabled athletes hoping to participate in able-bodied competition with different prosthetics.

But Van Zyl has not given up hope for Pistorius, who has yet to match the automatic qualifying time for the 2008 Olympics of 45.55 seconds in the 400 meters. “He still wants to be an Olympian, but it’s not looking like it’ll be Beijing,” he said. “We’ll see if we can’t get him in London in 2012. We’re going to try and explore all possible avenues to get him competing in the Olympics.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/sports/othersports/14cnd-pistorius.html?em&ex=1200459600&en=222c868ee51318a4&ei=5087%0A

What an interesting situation.
Should he be allowed to compete in the Olympics?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's great that this individual is able to pursue his athletic goals. But the IOC made the proper decision here. I only found about about this guy last night on the news, but when they showed video of him running, he's like the bionic man the way his prostetic legs let him bounce down the track field.

[joke]With all the victims of landmines and IEDs from around the world, you would think there would be no shortage of other amputees this fellow could compete against[/joke]

Now if you want to talk about where the IOC is wrong, I would like to know why the IOC feels women can not compete in ski jumping at the 2010 Winter Olympics? What a crock of shit ... the girls have every right to hurl themselves off of those jumps.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I agree with the IOC as well. It's awesome that he's able to race, but it does seem unfair to the other runners.

WRT the women's ski jumping, why isn't it reasonable for the IOS to exclude a sport is underdeveloped and that hasn't met the basic requirements of the charter?
Owned by Remi #?

It's great that this individual is able to pursue his athletic goals. But the IOC made the proper decision here. I only found about about this guy last night on the news, but when they showed video of him running, he's like the bionic man the way his prostetic legs let him bounce down the track field.

Actually. those spring-feet/cheetah-feet do not give as much of an advantage as one might suspect. They only return about 95% of the energy put into them.

His real advantage, as I understand it, is that they are a bit longer than what his "real" legs would have been.

I agree though, the right decision was made.

[joke]With all the victims of landmines and IEDs from around the world, you would think there would be no shortage of other amputees this fellow could compete against[/joke]

Indeed. :P

Now if you want to talk about where the IOC is wrong, I would like to know why the IOC feels women can not compete in ski jumping at the 2010 Winter Olympics? What a crock of shit ... the girls have every right to hurl themselves off of those jumps.

I had not heard about this. That's a stupid decision. It's not about rights, it's certainly within their ability though.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's not about rights, it's certainly within their ability though.

It isn't about rights, it's because they don't meet the technical requirements for a sport to be included.

I'm curious (not enough to look it up though) about what those technical requirements are. Do you have a brief summary?
Make light!

I'm don't know all the requirements, but the IOC is claiming that there are not enough participants and that they haven't met the requirement of having had at least 2 world championships prior to being admitted. Their first WC won't be held until 2009.
Owned by Remi #?

Your input is appreciated, Max. On one hand, I felt like it _could_ be a steroid issue if they do indeed give him an advantage; whereas, I also believe in someone with any physical disability showing the world - their abilities. And, what better medium than the Olympics.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Your input is appreciated, Max. On one hand, I felt like it _could_ be a steroid issue if they do indeed give him an advantage; whereas, I also believe in someone with any physical disability showing the world - their abilities. And, what better medium than the Olympics.

Although I am obviously a bit biased, I too agree, if the blades do indeed give him an advantage.

Max, didn't I see a pic of you jogging with the Pres using somewhat similar blades?

As a matter of interest, we also have a female swimming amputee who regularly competes (without aids of course) against able-bodied swimmers. Her name is Natalie du Toit.

It also reminds me if the story of a WW2 British fighter pilot who had no legs below the knee i believe.

It enabled him to turn harder than a lot of other pilots.

That would be Sir Douglas Bader. Yes, supposedly G forces didn't have quite the affect on him as the blood had no where to drain to. He was already a fighter pilot though before the war and had to fight hard to be allowed to fly again.

I don't give a damn if this is thread drift - someone's mentioned him and as a true hero he deserves a post or two.

He became a prisoner after running out of ammo in a dogfight over occupied Europe and (according to him at least) deliberately ramming the German plane out of the air.

He couldn't bail out as his prosthetic legs were caught in the damaged cockpit and could only escape to his parachute when the strap on his leg broke.

As he'd lost his prosthetic legs the Germans agreed to allow free passage to a British bomber so that they could drop him a replacement set by parachute.

The RAF declined the German offer of free passage and said they would make the drop anyway... and then continued onto their primary target and dropped live bombs on it.

By this time however Bader had already tried to escape from hospital even without his legs. He subsequently went on to make so many escape attempts that the Germans threatened to take his prosthetics away to stop him.

And of course all this is relevant to this website - he has one and a half parachute jumps after all... B|

LONDON — Track and field’s world governing body ruled on Monday that Oscar Pistorius, a double-amputee sprinter from South Africa, is not be eligible to compete in Olympic qualifying events. The International Association of Athletics Federations explained in a statement that, after an independent scientific study, it deemed Pistorius’s state-of-the-art carbon fiber prosthetics “should be considered as technical aids which give him an advantage over other athletes not using them.”

What an interesting situation.

Pistorius wins CAS appeal

The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that the 21-year-old South African is eligible to race against able-bodied athletes, overturning a ban imposed by the International Association of Athletics Federations.

CAS said the unanimous ruling goes into effect immediately.

Pistorius must still reach a qualifying time to run in the individual 400m at the Aug. 8-24 Beijing Games. However, he can be picked for the South African relay squad without qualifying.

Go, Oscar!:)

Its not over I think. The overturning of the decision was based on technicalities re. the testimonies of the technical experts on how they did / did not address the mian question of wether the prostetics provide a mechanical advantage. Should be interesting to find out what happens.

Meanwhile, his time was not good enough to qualify him in the 400m. Maybe he will get included into the 4x400 team.
Remster

Its not over I think. The overturning of the decision was based on technicalities re. the testimonies of the technical experts on how they did / did not address the mian question of wether the prostetics provide a mechanical advantage. Should be interesting to find out what happens.

Meanwhile, his time was not good enough to qualify him in the 400m. Maybe he will get included into the 4x400 team.

In "amputee" land, there has been all sorts of jibber-jabber over this, and how excited everyone is about his possible inclusion in the Olympics.

Let me share a perspective of forcing "normalcy" on people: It doesn't work.

I don't force myself into situations demanding such things. The guy is missing legs, it's not the norm. There's nothing wrong with it, but demanding to be a part of a sport with a century of defining growth behind it is counter-productive to the cause that ACA and activist-disabled people cry for.

Crying for parity only exacerbates the rift. Yes, wheelchairs need ramps, some amputees would rather not walk up stairs to a hotel room, ad infinitum... But if you're missing fricking legs, and you want to run with those that do, go ahead, however forcing your involvement like it's some kind of "right" brings down a bit of resentment on the cause that he's "fighting" for. Next thing you know, a wheel-chair bound paraplegic is going to demand consideration...he's got legs but can't use them the same...

I for one, do not support it.

The Paralympics were created just for that cause, and the competition is fierce, amazing and indeed, different.
Make light!

In "amputee" land, there has been all sorts of jibber-jabber over this, and how excited everyone is about his possible inclusion in the Olympics.

Let me share a perspective of forcing "normalcy" on people: It doesn't work.

I don't force myself into situations demanding such things. The guy is missing legs, it's not the norm. There's nothing wrong with it, but demanding to be a part of a sport with a century of defining growth behind it is counter-productive to the cause that ACA and activist-disabled people cry for.

Crying for parity only exacerbates the rift. Yes, wheelchairs need ramps, some amputees would rather not walk up stairs to a hotel room, ad infinitum... But if you're missing fricking legs, and you want to run with those that do, go ahead, however forcing your involvement like it's some kind of "right" brings down a bit of resentment on the cause that he's "fighting" for. Next thing you know, a wheel-chair bound paraplegic is going to demand consideration...he's got legs but can't use them the same...

I for one, do not support it.

The Paralympics were created just for that cause, and the competition is fierce, amazing and indeed, different.

Interesting perspective, Max.
How do you feel about Natalie du Toit. She has now qualified for Beijing in the 10km open water swim. While she doesn't use any prosthetics when swimming, she is still 'disabled' and will be competing against 'able-bodied' swimmers.

He still has the opportunity to qualify for Bejing, but he admits it is going to be tough. He is still young though, and he has already suggested that perhaps London (2012) is more realistic.

How many feel the 63 yard field goal record should have an asterisk, or be removed from the books, because the guy kicked with a prosthetic instead of a foot?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

That's it, just one reply. Must be lots of Blue Skies out there today.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_2324150,00.html

Actually he does qualify.

He now does not know if he has the funding to go and he is busy preparing and training to go.

An advantage?? He was born without legs guys. What kind of an advantage is that??

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

An advantage?? He was born without legs guys. What kind of an advantage is that??

30%, apparently. From the initial article:

Brueggemann’s biomechanical and physiological analysis found that from a mechanical standpoint, the Cheetahs were more efficient than a human ankle and could in fact return energy in maximum speed sprinting. Specifically, he established that “the mechanical advantage of the blade in relation to the healthy ankle joint of an able-bodied athlete is higher than 30 percent.” This means, according to the statement, that Pistorius was able to run at the same speed as the able-bodied sprinters with about “25 percent less energy expenditure.”

If he put on wheels and a rocket pack, would you see the advantage?