pop

Huckabee takes Iowa

The US is/was ready for a "black" president. Anyone remember Colin Powell? He would have walked away with the national vote but had no interest in running.

I doubt it is a matter of race but, rather, what they stand for and their experience. Obama has next to nothing in the way of practical experience in running anything! Colin Powell, on the other hand, had extensive military (leadership, management, etc) experience as well as foreign policy and "Washington" experience.

From this side of the pond it all looks VERY confusing. The process is mind boggling. Powell would have made a good President I think. Its hard to tell but apart from his lack of experience Obama looks quite good. I don't think his colour would be a problem but I'm not sure if America is ready yet for a President with the middle name Hussien!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'd love to see Ron Paul as a running mate to Obama. Or Huckabee. Or Guiliani, or...
It wouldn't hurt to return to the days of a liberal in one slot and conservative in the other, would it?
When did it change, where the VP was always the same party as the Pres?

If Obama and Paul were on the same ticket, I'd be one of those crazy fuckers door-knocking to ask people if I could put signs up in their yards. I'm not sure I'd care which was VP, as both seem smart enough to consult the other and consider a differing opinion.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The US is/was ready for a "black" president. Anyone remember Colin Powell? He would have walked away with the national vote but had no interest in running.

I doubt it is a matter of race but, rather, what they stand for and their experience. Obama has next to nothing in the way of practical experience in running anything! Colin Powell, on the other hand, had extensive military (leadership, management, etc) experience as well as foreign policy and "Washington" experience.

Colin Powell would also be an excellent running mate for Obama. I'd happily vote for that ticket.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Colin Powell would also be an excellent running mate for Obama. I'd happily vote for that ticket.

As long as Colin is Pres and Obama is VP. Frankly, Colin with about any of these idiots is fine.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What in your opinion would make America ready for a black President? Maybe if America is half way ready he still stands a chance;)

You dont even need a full half. The electoral college can make up for the lack of popular vote. Living in the south people are very open about being racist. I think America will be ready for a black president when either the black population surpasses a little more then half of the white pupolation, or when we stop being racist (not going to happen...racism exists in every race all over the world).
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

"apart from his lack of experience, Obama looks good. Please tell me what makes him "look good"

We are to choose a president to lead this country. I want someone with experience...leadership, cognitive thinking, problem solving, business/economic sense, management experience, people skills. Can you point out where Obama has shown that he has ANY of these qualities?.....Or Hillary or John (the Breck Girl) Edwards.

Politicians can let platitudes trip smoothly off their tongues....health care for everyone, jobs for all, etc, etc, etc. Words are just that - words. Actions, however, speak louder than words (you can quote me on that). What has Obama done in the past to indicate he can make anything really happen?

On the other side, I'm not particularly fond of Romney - too many flip flops for me who prefers principles over "position-of-the-day" - and Huckabee seems to like taxes and releasing criminals back into society. There are some things I like about McCain but too many that I don't, including amnesty for illegal aliens. Thompson is more to my liking and may rise to the occasion but doesn't seem to have the ability to fire anyone up to vote for him.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

>but I'm not sure if America is ready yet for a President with the middle name Hussien!

Hey, if we were ready for a president with the first name of Dick, we can live with a middle name of Hussein.

B|B|B|:P:P I think even Saturday Night Life did a skit on the the Dick & Bush combination.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

regarding Obama's chances & racism:

there ARE still a few loudmouth redneck dinosaurs around that make themselves really noticeable above their actual numbers, but I think that for most of the public it really isn't that much of an issue.

Notice that the redneck racist dinosaurs tend to also reject Evolution. Evidently both in theory and in practice.:P;)

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

"apart from his lack of experience, Obama looks good. Please tell me what makes him "look good"

We are to choose a president to lead this country. I want someone with experience...leadership, cognitive thinking, problem solving, business/economic sense, management experience, people skills. Can you point out where Obama has shown that he has ANY of these qualities?.....Or Hillary or John (the Breck Girl) Edwards.

Politicians can let platitudes trip smoothly off their tongues....health care for everyone, jobs for all, etc, etc, etc. Words are just that - words. Actions, however, speak louder than words (you can quote me on that). What has Obama done in the past to indicate he can make anything really happen?

On the other side, I'm not particularly fond of Romney - too many flip flops for me who prefers principles over "position-of-the-day" - and Huckabee seems to like taxes and releasing criminals back into society. There are some things I like about McCain but too many that I don't, including amnesty for illegal aliens. Thompson is more to my liking and may rise to the occasion but doesn't seem to have the ability to fire anyone up to vote for him.

Good Question? Why are people so fired up about Obama? What has he done that has qualified him to be president? SHould I vote for him because Oprah said so? Please.

It was great to see Hillary take it in the gut. Loved it. The whole thing is depressing. None of the candidates on either side of the aisle excite me. It is depressing. But it will still be interesting to see how it plays out. I don't think Huckabee will have the same success in NH.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

The most qualified, experienced candidate on the Dem side is far and away Bill Richardson. but in the television age, that makes no difference.

As to the race question...Hispanics are the largest minority in the US...if we go based on that, who wins? Richardson again.

too damned bad that he has no chance in hell of winning.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Politicians can let platitudes trip smoothly off their tongues....health care for everyone, jobs for all, etc, etc, etc. Words are just that - words.

Kang (or Kodos) "abortions for some, miniture American flags for others"

crowd "YAYYYYY"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As to the race question...Hispanics are the largest minority in the US.....

I find it interesting that despite evidence to the contrary so many continue to try to define "Hispanic" as a race. The CIA is not so clueless as to go the same standards. They define Mexico where the highest number of "Hispanics" in this country from, as having mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%. Thats white as in from Spanish descent, not Irish, not German or some other group which you might be thinking. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mx.html
Want to have a better laugh at the people who think "Hispanic" is a race look at Argentina https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ar.html at 97% percent white they are by far a country with much less non-white folk than the U.S. at only 81% white. Come to think of it even the CIA spells out the misconception that "Hispanic" is a race in their page on the United States where the say the following:
white 81.7%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.2% (2003 est.)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)
here is the link if you need to see for yourself https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Oh, *I* don't disagree with you. But *politically*, Hispanics are considered a racial minority, and that is, of course, what we are discussing here.

So we can rant about their classification as such, or just accept that in today's political landscape, they ARE considered a minority and begin the discussion there.

Or if you want, don't consider it a race, consider it a huge sector of voters that tend to have a certain characteristic(s) in common or identify with each other, like evangelicals, women, organized labor, or what have you. Makes no difference. Bill Richardson belongs to the group labeled "Hispanic", like Huckabee belongs to the group labeled "evangelical" or Hilary Clinton belongs to the group labeled "women".
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Oh, *I* don't disagree with you. But *politically*, Hispanics are considered a racial minority, and that is, of course, what we are discussing here.

So we can rant about their classification as such, or just accept that in today's political landscape, they ARE considered a minority and begin the discussion there.

Or if you want, don't consider it a race, consider it a huge sector of voters that tend to have a certain characteristic(s) in common or identify with each other, like evangelicals, women, organized labor, or what have you. Makes no difference. Bill Richardson belongs to the group labeled "Hispanic", like Huckabee belongs to the group labeled "evangelical" or Hilary Clinton belongs to the group labeled "women".

Yeah I guess I can agree with that on a general level. If ever I refer to that subset of people, I make sure to say Spanish speaking, just as if I was referring to people of the Bahamas, Jamaica, England and the U.S. I might say English Speaking, or France, Haiti, and Algeria as French speaking.

Still Spanish speaking individuals are a very diverse group not only racially but politically and socially as well. I won't go into specifics because I am on the run.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

absolutely.

Though, when we're talking about the political landscape of the US (at least, the one that the majority of ignorant americans believe, and the one the candidates like to exploit), I would say "Hispanic" = "Mestizo or Amerindian descendants who hail (originally, or through ancestry) from what we consider to be Latin America".

which is a PC way of saying: "spanish speakers who have darker skin than a northern european". Sorry, but i bet if you walked up to the average blonde haired american and asked them what "Hispanic" meant, that is what they'd say (not in so many words). THAT is what politicians pander to, and exploit. it's sad, but true.

John F. Kennedy's Ted Sorenson on Obama.

Food for thought.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Jesus Christ I hope Huckabee isn't the one running for president. The world doesn't need another conservative American president. Although if the economy keeps going down the drain, my new rig paid for with euros is going to become awfully cheap :P

Too bad the democrats have to choose between a woman, a black guy and a guy with little charisma. No offence or anything, but that's how some people see things. It would really suck to have another republican win the elections. Seeing how you elected someone as competent as Bush for a SECOND time...I can see Huckabee become the next president.

I'd probably vote for Obama since I'm more of a sexist than I am a racist. ;) Haha...homeboy wants to make a change. Yeah he'd get my vote alright.

Reasonably is the key word here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Huckabee seems like he's even more conservative than Bush.

You really need to define your terms there. He's clearly more fundamentalist Christian, but I'm not so certain that a President that drives the economy and government defict like GWB has done can ever truly be called "Conservative".
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I disagree with a lot of things Huckabee says, but I do like his willingness to look at the FairTax (which needs work, but is a good starting point).

Well, with the "Fair (sic) Tax", the billionaires are in a position to make even more of a killing off middle class taxpayers than G.W. Bush did over the Rangers deal.

(In case you forgot, Bush and his cronies got sales and property tax exemptions on the taxpayer subsidized stadium, meaning that taxpayers' $$$ went straight into his pocket.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Jesus Christ I hope Huckabee isn't the one running for president. The world doesn't need another conservative American president.

I hope he gets the nomination. That will guarantee a democratic president takes the reins!

Huckabee is completely unelectable.