ExAFO

Anyone shoot a SKS?

The first firearm I owned was an SKS (during the last AWB).

I don't know much about pre/post AWB models. However, besides having to use feeder clips it was a fun gun. Like others said, it did not seem as accurate at longer distances as an AK...I'm not really sure why.

Prices are a little funky right now. So, if an AK is not in the budget you may want to give some consideration to the Mosin–Nagant. The rate of fire is slower than the SKS, but it's cheaper, packs more punch and is more accurate. Additionally, the 7.62X39 ammo (SKS, AK) is more expensive than the 7.62X54r ammo.

It's all preference really. As your addiction builds, it will :ph34r:, you will find yourself shooting all these different types of weapons and then you will find the "perfect" trifecta is almost impossible. You will like one rifle for one particular scenario and another rifle for another scenario, one shotgun for "this" and another for "that". Fortunately, if you don't overpay when you buy, firearms hold their value quite well, so it's pretty easy to buy-sell-trade until you find one you really like.

Have fun. Just try and avoid getting into "the best" ballistics arguments with people. :D:D

Mosin's are fun and cheap to shoot (less cheap now than a couple of years ago). I got mine mainly because of the price of the ammunition. I intended to use it to build skills that would transfer to other rifles.

For fun you should look up the humorous AR vs AK vs Mosin comparison charts. There are many versions.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm
--
Rob

It's time to sell not buy. They were selling 223 at .80- $1.25 each, .22 $125 per (500)brick. And if you can believe: lower AR receivers with butt stock only, no upper for $1400 which use to cost $500 at the most.

Get AR if you can find one. My advice, wait 6 month to a year as things will cool off and prices will be lower.

Remember that not all dz.com members are allowed to collect AKs and ARs.
SKS is the fanciest military-surplus rifle that Canadian members of dz.com are allowed to own.
Canadians are also limited to ten-round magazines. Forget about owning a full-auto weapon in Canada.

:D:D ~ replyin' to a 5 year old thread, to a guy who not on here anymore? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Remember that not all dz.com members are allowed to collect AKs and ARs.
SKS is the fanciest military-surplus rifle that Canadian members of dz.com are allowed to own.
Canadians are also limited to ten-round magazines. Forget about owning a full-auto weapon in Canada.

:D:D ~ replyin' to a 5 year old thread, to a guy who not on here anymore? ;)

Top not or what knot? ;)

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

"Actually we are limited to only 5 round mags in rifles"

Oh you don't know how good you've got it,
here in Spain were limited to only a two round mag in a rifle.
although a SKS is legal here it's no bloody good with a two round mag.

Gone fishing

Mosin's are fun and cheap to shoot (less cheap now than a couple of years ago). I got mine mainly because of the price of the ammunition. I intended to use it to build skills that would transfer to other rifles.

For fun you should look up the humorous AR vs AK vs Mosin comparison charts. There are many versions.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Brother in Law has a SKS, its fun to shoot. I've got a Mosin and recently put some Mojo sights on it http://www.mojosights.com/. Best upgrade ever and with the greatly improved sight picture, I'm getting some pretty awesome accuracy with it for being a surplus rifle. This was at the 50 yard line, fired 5 right most group, adjusted the windage, and brought it more center with the next 5.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

I've got a "farmers friend" SKS, 5X scope and bi-pod. It's a good varmit gun, not very accurate outside of 100-150yds. Fun to shoot and cheap to buy. Just always have muzzle awareness, sometimes i've seen them rip a two or three round burst when they start getting dirty. The Chinese ones aren't of the best quality.
Have also heard of them firing when dropped with a round chambered.

+1
I bought one, back in the 90's when Clinton told me I could not have one. Even if clean it will tri-burst every now and then.

I've got a "farmers friend" SKS, 5X scope and bi-pod. It's a good varmit gun, not very accurate outside of 100-150yds. Fun to shoot and cheap to buy. Just always have muzzle awareness, sometimes i've seen them rip a two or three round burst when they start getting dirty. The Chinese ones aren't of the best quality.
Have also heard of them firing when dropped with a round chambered.

+1
I bought one, back in the 90's when Clinton told me I could not have one. Even if clean it will tri-burst every now and then.

Never had an SKS do that, mine aren't Chinese though - wonder if that makes a difference.

HAVE had a couple Mini-14's double-burst on me when pulling the trigger slowly, while benching in a scope.

Always scares the heck outta me.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Norinco = good.

SKS = handy for walking in the woods and other stuff.

The 7.62x39 is a fine round for short to medium range. The weapon is accurate enough for most stuff you wll do. I'm not really good with the magazine release system. It often hangs a little bit for me. But I've shot it in competition and it didn't cause any serious problems. The design is part of the venerated AK47 family. Easy to strip, clean and put back together. The only thing you have to be careful of is that you have to put the bolt and gas tube together and compress the spring in the bolt; hold the two together as you slide them into the receiver. It's not difficult, but if you weren't paying attention at tear down and don't catch that part, you might get frustrated when you go to put it back together.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.