ExAFO

Anyone shoot a SKS?

Looking at getting a Chinese NORINCO copy of the 7.62x39 SKS. Anyone shoot one of these badboys?

How expensive is it to shoot? Maintenance issues?

THx

(later I will be acquiring a Remington shotgun to finish the pistol/rifle/shotgun trifecta. Viva freedom!
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Looking at getting a Chinese NORINCO copy of the 7.62x39 SKS. Anyone shoot one of these badboys?

THx

(later I will be acquiring a Remington shotgun to finish the pistol/rifle/shotgun trifecta. Viva freedom!

I have. Our annual shootfest. Didn't have to work on it and don't know what the ammo was but it penetrated 1/8" steel plate at 100'
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I've got a "farmers friend" SKS, 5X scope and bi-pod. It's a good varmit gun, not very accurate outside of 100-150yds. Fun to shoot and cheap to buy. Just always have muzzle awareness, sometimes i've seen them rip a two or three round burst when they start getting dirty. The Chinese ones aren't of the best quality.
Have also heard of them firing when dropped with a round chambered.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I have shot a few SKS from various countries and you should go with the AK like Warped said.. much better weapon.. same ammo. The ChiCom SKS were functional but not verry good weapons over all in quality.. accuracy.... or any other measure.

Ammo is cheap.. and if you can get good non corrosive ammo it will prolong the life of the weapon. A lot of the stuff I have seen uses corrosive berdan primers and you need to clean the weapon every time you go shooting. That goes for all of the East block stuff you find around.. spend a little more on non corrosive ammo.. there is plenty around.

besides you can pick up a cheap AK with a shitty bbl, and replace the bbl with a decent one, and wind up with a rifle that does not have a bbl that flexes when fired.

I had a beutiful AK but I sold it in order to pay for my Bennelli M1S90 Tactical and spare rifled ER Shaw bbl.

Oh well, I can always use the AK still if I want to.

AK's are cheap to shoot, but there is no overcoming the weak ballistics of it's chambering.

however, there are people out there converting the AK to 6.5Grendel, and 30HRT.

But they are rare.

Get a SVD Dragunov or similar, use it in .308win

Better yet get a damn FAL

It's a fun weapon to shoot IMO, not a competition rifle but you can still have a lot of fun with it.
If you can find them get one that isn't Chinese, they aren't always the best versions.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

THx

I have. Our annual shootfest. Didn't have to work on it and don't know what the ammo was but it penetrated 1/8" steel plate at 100'

I have a shotgun that can make 1/2" holes in plates like that at 100yds.(copper slugs)

1/8" steel is no barrier.

Neither is 1/2" steel for quite a few cartridges.

Steel plates are barriers for pistol cartridges.

Usually you will not find a range that allows rifle cartridges to be shot at steel plates.

It ruins them, unless shot from a loooong range.

I used to own a Chinese paratrooper model with a higher-quality Russian stock (don't ask me how that happened). The shortened barrel length really made it fun to shoot, and I miss it :(.

Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

My "Yugo" routinely shoots 5-shot groups under 1.5" @ 100 yds. this using factory sights.
I only use it for fun target shooting. No hunting or competition, just plinking, so power and velocity are moot.
I don't shoot more than 100-200 rounds per session, a few times a year, so cost difference is negligible.
Plus the bayonet looks really cool. B|

My "Yugo" routinely shoots 5-shot groups under 1.5" @ 100 yds. this using factory sights.
I only use it for fun target shooting. No hunting or competition, just plinking, so power and velocity are moot.
I don't shoot more than 100-200 rounds per session, a few times a year, so cost difference is negligible.
Plus the bayonet looks really cool. B|

Yup, and I got mine back when they were under 90 bucks.B|

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Yes. But if you can, buy a Russian made. Much better built than the Chinese. As for accuracy, I've rung the 300 yrd. gong with open sights on occasion, but a whole lot more accurate at 100. As for expense of ammo I stocked up yrs ago and haven't run out. Though I've been told that the ammo is alot more expensive these days because of the war. It's not as readily available so I've been told. I love my SKS.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I have a Romanian SKS. Fun to shoot and reasonably cheap for ammo. Can't say much for the trigger but this isn't the kind of rifle you buy for 1000 yd accuracy matches.

There is a website dealing with "surplusrifles" that has a lot of info on SKSs you might want to check out. I can't access it at work due to "security" software that keeps me from going to firearms-related web sites.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

sometimes i've seen them rip a two or three round burst when they start getting dirty. .

Yeah right.... c'mon dude.... You set that thing up to slam fire!;)

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

You can't go wrong with an SKS. I also got mine back when they were under 100 bucks. I should have bought 2-3 more at that price. Mine has never given me any trouble and it is a Chinese SKS.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Remember that not all dz.com members are allowed to collect AKs and ARs.
SKS is the fanciest military-surplus rifle that Canadian members of dz.com are allowed to own.
Canadians are also limited to ten-round magazines. Forget about owning a full-auto weapon in Canada.

Canadians are also limited to ten-round magazines.

Actually we are limited to only 5 round mags in rifles. Also, as far as the SKS is concerned, I don't have any personal experience with it, but I did talk to John Rich about them a couple of years ago and he gave them a thumbs up. But has John been banned from here?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

But has John been banned from here?

Yes, but he has been showing up a lot recently in the form of numerous sock puppets.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.