lawrocket

Another U.S. Shooting - This time in the Hood

The way I read that is that gun ownership may possibly stop some crimes. However, it aides one of the largest causes of crimes.....organized crime in the form of gangs and drugs.

Gun ownership does not 'cause' crime any more than a lighter causes arson.

How about people try to control the one thing that does cause crime - criminals. Why not focus on the cause instead of the tool?

The way I read that is that gun ownership may possibly stop some crimes. However, it aides one of the largest causes of crimes.....organized crime in the form of gangs and drugs.

Gun ownership does not 'cause' crime any more than a lighter causes arson.

How about people try to control the one thing that does cause crime - criminals. Why not focus on the cause instead of the tool?

Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals IS controlling criminals.

Since criminals apparently get their guns primarily from 2 sources (theft from "law abiding citizens" and purchase or straw purchase from legal dealers), better control of both those sources seems quite appropriate.

The data are incontovertible - where there are more guns, there are more deaths, both within the USA and comparing the USA with other western democracies.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Keeping guns out of the hands of criminals IS controlling criminals.

No it's not, it's controlling guns ("Gun Control", remember?).

Come up with something that:

1. Doesn't infringe on my right to own a gun as a law-abiding citizen.

2. Keeps guns out of criminals' hands.

3. Actually works.

and I'll consider it a reasonable method of "gun control".

So far anti-gun groups have tried:

1. Banning handguns in certain cities - D.C, Chicago, etc. It doesn't prevent criminals from getting guns, and leaves law-abiding people defensless against those criminals.

2. Waiting periods. Still, no effect on gun crime, since it only applies to legal gun sales. Felons can't go into a gun store and buy one, so a waiting period doesn't really matter.

3. Gun Free Zones - Hmm.. Columbine, Virginia Tech, the few malls and other schools. Not much else to say about that. These ought to be called "Unarmed victim zones".

4. Assault weapons ban - Had no effect on gun crime, as the vast majority isn't committed with so-called 'assault-weapons', and never was. The only difference between an 'assault weapon' and the average deer rifle is its appearance, they function exactly the same.

5. Limiting magazine capacity (CA) - I can switch magazines in my .40 in around 1 second, so it really doesn't matter whether I have 2 mags of 15rnds or 3 mags of 10.

Do you really think that banning guns would actually have an effect on crime? It hasn't worked in DC, what makes you think it'll be different anywhere else?

There are hundreds of millions of firearms in this country, do you think they'll magically disappear if a law is passed banning them?

What do I think would help keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals?

1. Keep criminals with multiple convictions in prison. Data I've seen shows the recidivism rate is between 60-80%, which means the majority of this crime is committed by people that have done it before.

2. Make being in prison worse. ie. Maricopa County, AZ worse. I'd imagine that spending a couple of years with 138-degree temps in a tent would serve as a much better deterrent than the average prison.

Seems to me you might do better controlling the manufacturing of ammo. Just a thought.

So would you be in favor of controlling the sale of gasoline in order to stop arsonists, and people who drive drunk?

How about actually punishing the criminal, and not giving sentences out that mean nothing more than having a person gain "street rep"

How about the rest of the citizens having the right to carry, and actually kill a violent offender?

The recitivism rate on dead offenders is ZERO.

300,000+ "law abiding gun owners" are so careless with their weapons that criminals steal them each year.

Hey kallend: I've changed my avatar, just for you. I got rid of that old parrot in favor of a Texas logo. Now that my old parrot is no longer in use, I think it would be a good avatar for you to adopt. After all, you keep repeating the same things over and over again, as if that somehow lends more validity to your statement. You sound just like a pet store parrot squawking; "Polly wants a cracker!" So I've attached my old parrot avatar for you to download and use, to represent your style of debate here. Enjoy!

300,000+ "law abiding gun owners" are so careless with their weapons that criminals steal them each year.

Hey kallend: I've changed my avatar, just for you. I got rid of that old parrot in favor of a Texas logo. Now that my old parrot is no longer in use, I think it would be a good avatar for you to adopt. After all, you keep repeating the same things over and over again, as if that somehow lends more validity to your statement. You sound just like a pet store parrot squawking; "Polly wants a cracker!" So I've attached my old parrot avatar for you to download and use, to represent your style of debate here. Enjoy!

I'll keep repeating it as long as "law abiding gun owners" keep parrotting the line that they are not the cause of any problems.

Once people like you finally recognize that you ARE enablers, maybe the US homicide rate will be brought in line with other western nations.

I'll keep repeating it as long as "law abiding gun owners" keep parrotting the line that they are not the cause of any problems.

Once people like you finally recognize that you ARE enablers, maybe the US homicide rate will be brought in line with other western nations.

There is no way I can think of to say "you just dont get it" that would be powerful enough to show your crazy need to blame those not breaking any laws
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I want to thank you for this strong stance against crime, because hearing the same line 50 times really adds to the intellectual ambiance here. I don't know how we would ever understand your point of view if you didn't adhere to this repetition technique.

Yeah, that was parody too.

Seriously, your rabid repetition is only bringing scorn upon yourself, and turning people off against your ideas.

If you really wanted to win people over, you would try using logical persuasion and explanations, rather than blind repetition.

But hey, feel free to continue making a fool of yourself.

As for repeating a line over and over, you are a fine one to criticize:

A quick forum search brings up 195 posts where you whine about poor law abiding gun owners having their rights trampled on.

As for repeating a line over and over, you are a fine one to criticize:

A quick forum search brings up 195 posts where you whine about poor law abiding gun owners having their rights trampled on.

And further investigation reveals that 193 of them are in repy to you!!:P
Abraham Lincoln

Define "whine".

What search criteria did you use?

Over what period of time were these found?

Are you in favor of trampling on the rights of law-abiding people?

Define "whine".

What search criteria did you use?

Over what period of time were these found?

Are you in favor of trampling on the rights of law-abiding people?

Ony what he defines as a right
Abraham Lincoln