Shotgun

If alcohol was illegal . . .

Just a hypothetical question: If alcohol was illegal today, but still widely available as it was during prohibition (in the U.S.), would you be willing to break the law to keep drinking it?

As I rule, I don't obey stupid laws. So yes, I would still have a drink from time to time.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Just a hypothetical question: If alcohol was illegal today, but still widely available as it was during prohibition (in the U.S.), would you be willing to break the law to keep drinking it?

Hell yeah I would. Enough said.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think the result would be the same as what happened during the 1920 Prohibition. They can't stop the sale and usage of illegal drugs. Make alcohol illegal and you will make some millionaires.

Yes, of course. But that wasn't the question. :P (Oh, and BTW, I suspect that legal alcohol has made a few millionaires too.)

I wouldn't much care either way. I like a drink just fine, but if liquor never existed, I doubt I'd notice any real gap in my life either.

There is an issue with the government intruding on my personal choices that would bother me quite a bit. I think outlawing guns would be a much more severe sin (guns are about maintaining independence from the government and self determination - liquor doesn't have any altruistic value but is merely a personal choice in self gratification), but a similar sin in terms of gov interference. So I'd likely not drink and break the law, but I'd be vocal that it's a stupid law and vote accordingly.

abusers would be unreasonably outraged (I think this would be a loud group that would hurt the true cause)

those that protest on the principal of minimal gov interference would be reasonably outraged (I think this would be a big group and likely effective at some point)

those that would make money on the black market would support it (quietly, subtly)

the 'previously' legal distributors would be outraged (and use any available argument they could)

the rest might not care one way or the other

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Depends;

Illegal but decriminalised (just a fine, no criminal record) then yes I would drink. If it was illegal in the sense that possession alone could result in a record and jail time then no.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Hey, i'm involved in making some of the stuff (wine), so hell yeah!B|

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand what this has to do with whether you would still drink it if it was illegal.

Nothing beats having a career where you're allowed to drink on the job ;)

Hmm, I can think of a lot of things that would beat that, but that's just me. ;)

Hi Shot,
Sure would screw up all the "Beer Rules" at the DZ!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I never followed the beer rules anyway. I started skydiving to skydive, not to drink beer. :P

I started drinking beer to skydive.:P

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

It would also be interesting to know if the people answering "yes" have ever used any illegal drugs. I'm guessing that someone who has already used illegal drugs would be more likely to drink alcohol if it was illegal, than would someone who has never used illegal drugs. (Though I know that the legal status is not necessarily what keeps a lot of people from using other drugs.)

It would also be interesting to know if the people answering "yes" have ever used any illegal drugs. I'm guessing that someone who has already used illegal drugs would be more likely to drink alcohol if it was illegal, than would someone who has never used illegal drugs. (Though I know that the legal status is not necessarily what keeps a lot of people from using other drugs.)

I would venture to say that those people probably used alcohol illegaly (as a minor) first before they used any drug.
As for the question? Don't care to much for alcohol and only have a drink 2 to 3 times out of the year (some years I've had 0 drinks) and never get drunk. So, really would depend on the situation if I would or not.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I'm guessing that someone who has already used illegal drugs would be more likely to drink alcohol if it was illegal, than would someone who has never used illegal drugs.

I've used illegal drugs. I answered 'maybe' because depending upon how accepted/unaccepted EtOH use were, I might or might not be at risk of losing my medical license for using it. If it put my license in jeopardy, then I'd *probably* not use it...so I think.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The intolerant bible thumping moralists tried that already and brought about a lawless period in our country similar to the current war on drugs.

It failed... today the government taxes and makes a great amount of money off of regulating it... could there be a lesson there somewhere???

I think that there are other legal drugs with similar effects to replace alcohol now. People would just go to their doctors and prescriptions would skyrocket.

However, if cigs were made illegal, I know quite a few people who have a substantial addiction in place.

If cigs were illegal, the price would go to $50 a pack.
There would be a whole new rash of convenience store robberies to pay for that $100 a day addiction.

Funny how making something illegal creates more illegality.

We have 600 miles of shoreline in Florida and a smuggling industry to support.

Just because the government / law says something is wrong doesnt make it so. Right and wrong (imho) should be defined by ones own morale beliefs (providing they do not impose their beleifs on others).

If, I dunno, Caffeine was suddenly made illegal - would you stop drinking it?

BTW - I answered yes in the poll.
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

Just because the government / law says something is wrong doesnt make it so. Right and wrong (imho) should be defined by ones own morale beliefs (providing they do not impose their beleifs on others).

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that you won't be punished for breaking the law, whether the law is just or not.

I answered "maybe / not sure." If it was suddenly illegal and a hassle to obtain alcohol, I'd probably think it wasn't worth it, but I'm not sure.

If, I dunno, Caffeine was suddenly made illegal - would you stop drinking it?

Hmm, I don't know. I like caffeine, but not so much that I would be willing to go to jail or pay a huge fine for using it, so I'd probably just give it up.