Flacid_Monk

petrol $10 a gallon

well..... over this side of the pond, we're currently paying £1.11 a litre for petrol.... that would be around $10 a gallon, would you pay that for it?

No.....especially while I'm standing atop a nearly endless reserve of untapped oil. :| When food and fuel become less plentiful than bullets, things will change....they always do. ;)
"T'was ever thus."

I'm looking forward to the day it get's that high here in the US. A lot of americans won't change anything unless there is a lot of money involved. A lot rather choose to ignore global warming and the scarcity of oil than to get a smaller car...

The bizzare thing is that about 7 years ago, we had all our road hauliers protesting about fuel prices, they caused blockades at depots and no fuel got to forcourts.... it was "only" about £0.85 a litre then, now it's £1.11 a litre and no sign of them :S

yet again, we in Britain are bending over and taking one up the pipe [:/]

A lot rather choose to ignore global warming and the scarcity of oil than to get a smaller car...

Not everyone automatically buys into every fad or fashion shortage wolf cry. Global warming iis a much a farce as the so-called ol shortage. There's enough oil untapped, to power this world and 100 others like it, for eternity and beyond. The only shortages on this planet, are in wisdom and common sense.
"T'was ever thus."

A lot rather choose to ignore global warming and the scarcity of oil than to get a smaller car...

Not everyone automatically buys into every fad or fashion shortage wolf cry. Global warming iis a much a farce as the so-called ol shortage. There's enough oil untapped, to power this world and 100 others like it, for eternity and beyond. The only shortages on this planet, are in wisdom and common sense.

Can you be more precise about exactly where this eternal supply of oil is to be found.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Can you be more precise about exactly where this eternal supply of oil is to be found.

Underground, generally. It's in the exact same place as it was in the '20s, when the "experts" warned that there wasn't enough oil to last, 'til 1930.
"T'was ever thus."

Underground, generally. It's in the exact same place as it was in the '20s, when the "experts" warned that there wasn't enough oil to last, 'til 1930.

Oh, under the ground. I was worried for a moment that you were referring to the eternal oil supply that we find with pie in the sky.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Oh, under the ground. I was worried for a moment that you were referring to the eternal oil supply that we find with pie in the sky.

That could explain the global warming fantasy. Make it ala mode and it just might cool things off a bit! I can see the headlines now...."Baskin Robbins Saves Earth!":D
"T'was ever thus."

That could explain the global warming fantasy. Make it ala mode and it just might cool things off a bit! I can see the headlines now...."Baskin Robbins Saves Earth!":D

'Atmosphere Repair Raspberry' 32nd. flavor!:D

Chuck

I would be inclined to take his word for this Professor, after all according to his profile he lives in "Oil City".

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

There's enough oil untapped, to power this world and 100 others like it, for eternity and beyond.

Really? Where? So all the folks mentioned in this Fox News article discussing the tipping point of oil are wrong?

This recent GAO report: “Crude Oil: Uncertainty about Future Oil Supply Makes It Important to Develop a Strategy for Addressing a Peak and Decline in Oil Production,” which has repeatedly cited by Rep Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD), who has spoken on the “important need to develop a strategy for addressing a peak and decline in oil production.”

From the GAO report:” World oil production has been running at near capacity to meet demand, pushing prices upward. Concerns about meeting increasing demand with finite resources have renewed interest in an old question: How long can the oil supply expand before reaching a maximum level of production--a peak--from which it can only decline?

Most studies estimate that oil production will peak sometime between now and 2040. This range of estimates is wide because the timing of the peak depends on multiple, uncertain factors that will help determine how quickly the oil remaining in the ground is used, including the amount of oil still in the ground; how much of that oil can ultimately be produced given technological, cost, and environmental challenges as well as potentially unfavorable political and investment conditions in some countries where oil is located; and future global demand for oil.”
What do you think is the relative percentage of shale oil to that which has already been pumped from the ground?"

In the 1950's M. King Hubbert predicted US oil production would peak in the 1970s. He was criticized/dismissed/ridiculed until the late 1970s when the decline in US oil production was undeniable - a trend which continues.

It would be absolutely fantastic (& something of a miracle) for the supply of any natural product that isn’t being reproduced to be “eternal.”

Whether oil was produced from decaying dinosaurs (the biogenic hypothesis) or as a result of geochemical processes during the formation of the Earth (the more strongly supported abiogenic hypothesis), the planet's not making more of it as far as I am aware. Do you have sources or evidence suggesting otherwise?

VR/Marg ... in Atlanta but not doing anything with Atlantis, at least not that I'm aware of ... :P

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

When that day comes, then - and only then - will the U.S. begin an ernest program to switch to alternative fuels.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

VR/Marg ... in Atlanta but not doing anything with Atlantis, at least not that I'm aware of ... :P

Do you look like these Atlantines?

:D:D:D
Yeah, *exactly* like #2!
Carry a large broad sword with me and wear chain mail everywhere.
Makes getting through TSA screening just that much more exciting!

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

When that day comes, then - and only then - will the U.S. begin an ernest program to switch to alternative fuels.

That is why I support Clinton. She is the only one who has an at least kind of acceptable plan about future energy sources and I believe that this is the most important issue next to the US deficit.

>It's in the exact same place as it was in the '20s, when the
>"experts" warned that there wasn't enough oil to last, 'til 1930.

I think you may be thinking of the "peak oil" warnings. Hubbert warned in 1956 that US oil production would peak in the 1970's and never recover due to dwindling reserves. It turned out that US oil production peaked in 1970 and has been dwindling ever since. So that's not such a good example to use.

The amount of oil is finite, and we will run out. The only question is when. We ran out here in the US in the 1970's and have been pumping ever-smaller quantities from marginal wells. The same will happen worldwide eventually.

The problem is: Clinton is not electable. She has far too much baggage and the right has been gearing up for eight years just to swift boat her. Also, she is now where Howard Dean was at this stage last time. Her fall will be quite spectacular.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I'm looking forward to the day it get's that high here in the US. A lot of americans won't change anything unless there is a lot of money involved. A lot rather choose to ignore global warming and the scarcity of oil than to get a smaller car...

Don't forget, you'll be paying $6 for a gallon of milk and $50 for a sheet of plywood. Are you looking forward to that, also?

> It turned out that US oil production peaked in 1970 and has been dwindling ever since. So that's not such a good example to use.

The amount of oil is finite, and we will run out. The only question is when. We ran out here in the US in the 1970's and have been pumping ever-smaller quantities from marginal wells. The same will happen worldwide eventually.

The wells of which you speak were forcibly capped, under the direction of the U.S. government. These wells can produce and did so regularly, until they were shut-down. The so-called oil crisis is purely a wag the dog kinda' thing. There is no oil shortage, there never was and likely never will be.
"T'was ever thus."

How do you rationalise that point of view?

Do you think that there are infinite amounts of oil under the earth right now, or do you think that oil is being made at the same rate it is being pumped out? Or by 'never' do you just mean not in your lifetime?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

There's enough oil untapped, to power this world and 100 others like it, for eternity and beyond.

Really? Where? So all the folks mentioned in this Fox News article discussing the tipping point of oil are wrong?

Absolutely. You might try listening to someone actually "in the oil business", like some of the small independent oil producers.
"T'was ever thus."