JohnRich

Illegal Immigrants

I voted let them stay. The reason is simple - we cannot deport them. It's not that we "cannot" in a figurative sense. It's more of a literal thing - there simply is no way our government can deport them all.

This is a government that can't even keep them out, much less find them and kick them out. I'd rate the suggestions of kicking them all out as having the same pragmatic chances as getting rid of coal-fired power plants. Perhaps a goal that will be possible 30 years down the road, but suggesting that it can happen anytime soon is laughable.

I am not going to believe there is nothing we can do..

IF you remove the incentive...ie no jobs.. they will go elsewhere.

Make it very expensive to employers who get caught with illegals on the payroll..and I mean jail time... not a slap on the hand.

They will deport themsleves back really quick.

Whatever our government comes-up with, we darned sure need to enforce it. We have to do something about the problem.

The problems (vulnerabilities) with one effort -- more directed toward those initially entering legally -- were highlighted a few months back:

Border Computers Vulnerable to Attack: GAO Report Details Problems in System

"The U.S. government's main border control system is plagued by computer security weaknesses, increasing the risk of computer attacks, data thefts, and manipulation of millions of identity records including passport, visa and Social Security numbers and the world's largest fingerprint database, officials said.

"U.S. officials have called the US-VISIT system a cornerstone of the nation's efforts to stop terrorists at the borders and stanch the flow of illegal immigrants. It automates the collection of fingerprints and digital photographs, and links border control officers to FBI, border enforcement, immigration and State Department watch lists and databases.

"Congress has allocated $1.7 billion for the system since 2002. But in a congressional report to be released today and obtained by The Washington Post, Homeland Security officials said that many vulnerabilities exist throughout the network and the computer stations used at 400 airports, seaports and land crossings.

"'Weaknesses existed in all control areas and computing device types reviewed,' the Government Accountability Office reported. It called on DHS to 'immediately address' problems to avert potentially crippling disruptions or the misidentification of drug smugglers, terrorists and felons trying to enter the country.

VR/Marg

Isn't that just lovely!

Chuck

I am not going to believe there is nothing we can do..
IF you remove the incentive...ie no jobs.. they will go elsewhere.
Make it very expensive to employers who get caught with illegals on the payroll..and I mean jail time... not a slap on the hand.
They will deport themsleves back really quick.

Good short term solution but so long as an incredibly rich nation borders with a 3rd world nation the problem will persist, and the illegals and thier employers will find a way. Why not look into trying to help develop Mexicos infrastructure (as has already been mentioned on this board)? The amount of money being sent across the ocean in foreign aid could do a lot of good in Mexico if we funnelled the majority of it in there contingent on the authorities spending it on the right things, and weeding out corruption (or trying to). Sooner or later we north americans are going to have to deal with the fact that we share our continent with a 3rd world country. With the emergence of other economic superpowers it might actually be in our interest to develop a stronger relationship with mexico before china or someone else does.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

This is a government that can't even keep them out, much less find them and kick them out. I'd rate the suggestions of kicking them all out as having the same pragmatic chances as getting rid of coal-fired power plants. Perhaps a goal that will be possible 30 years down the road, but suggesting that it can happen anytime soon is laughable.

You never know what lurks on the horizon;)
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

Intelligent beings have moved across the earth looking to better their situation for millions of years. You think you can beat that with a fence and a docket of employer prosecutions? Good luck.

It's like trying to hold back water folks. They're coming, not stopping, and you would too.

The only long term solution? The mexican economy must improve.

Added bonus? It sounds to me to be the most humane and civilized solution. For everyone involved.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

Intelligent beings have moved across the earth looking to better their situation for millions of years. You think you can beat that with a fence and a docket of employer prosecutions? Good luck.

It's like trying to hold back water folks. They're coming, not stopping, and you would too.

The only long term solution? The mexican economy must improve.

Added bonus? It sounds to me to be the most humane and civilized solution. For everyone involved.

Geeze... you'd think, with all the big corporations building plants and factories in Mexico, you'd think that that would make a difference!? We didn't take them to raise! This country, whether you believe it or not, cannot take the strain of millions and millions of Mexican, Central Americans and South Americans. Unless you like the idea of the United States looking like Mexico City or Hong Kong! I know the old story of our 'open arms policy' and so-on but, we need to take control of our country.

Chuck

This country, whether you believe it or not, cannot take the strain of millions and millions of Mexican, Central Americans and South Americans.

I think we should give exceptions only to illegal immigrants that know how to weld and will join a union.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think I've decided. Rehmwa for president. He's got all the qualifications:
has a plan

I think we should give exceptions only to illegal immigrants that know how to weld and will join a union

Has his priorities straight

Is willing to ask questions before opining

I understand that the guy that initiate the action (to ban spanking) in Massachusetts was asked if he spanks his kids..

and his answer was "it's none of your business"

I'd like to confirm this

and most important:
He doesn't want the job

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

has a plan ....Has his priorities straight ....i willing to ask questions before opining
and most important:
He doesn't want the job

I understand you don't find any REAL money in the job unless you're corrupt.

WHoooo, Hooooo - I'm gonna get rich!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This country, whether you believe it or not, cannot take the strain of millions and millions of Mexican, Central Americans and South Americans.

I think we should give exceptions only to illegal immigrants that know how to weld and will join a union.

:D:D:D

Chuck

has a plan

I think we should give exceptions only to illegal immigrants that know how to weld and will join a union

Has his priorities straight

Is willing to ask questions before opining

I understand that the guy that initiate the action (to ban spanking) in Massachusetts was asked if he spanks his kids..

and his answer was "it's none of your business"

I'd like to confirm this

and most important:
He doesn't want the job

Wendy W.

I understand that his position on running for president is: "If nominated... I will not run! If elected I will not serve!":D

Chuck

Perhaps we should have a change in policy that in some way rewards those who followed the rules.

Speeding up the process would be a good start. Making people who follow the rules wait years (over 4 years for one person I know who already has his work permit) is just ABSURD.

Another would be to eliminate the stupid questions:
"Did you come here with the intent of overthrowing the government of the United States by force" was one question I was asked at my interview. My wife was asked if she intended to become a prostitute.

I seriously doubt if native born citizens have ANY idea just how stupid the immigration system is.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Fine by me. I still qualify.;)

Perhaps we should have a change in policy that in some way rewards those who followed the rules.

Speeding up the process would be a good start. Making people who follow the rules wait years (over 4 years for one person I know who already has his work permit) is just ABSURD.

"Did you come here with the intent of overthrowing the government of the United States by force" was one question I was asked at my interview. My wife was asked if she intended to become a prostitute.

I seriously doubt if native born citizens have ANY idea just how stupid the immigration system is.

You gotta be jokin'! Those are actual questions asked of potential citizens? Yeah, like you're going to tell them you're here to over-throw our government and control the world! That's gonna make Stewie angry! I believe, you are right. the 'system' needs serious 'work'.

Chuck

You gotta be jokin'!

Nope.

You gotta be jokin'!

Nope.

I can sorta see them asking you that question...after all, you *DID* have Ming the Merciless as an avatar!!! :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You gotta be jokin'! Those are actual questions asked of potential citizens? Yeah, like you're going to tell them you're here to over-throw our government and control the world! That's gonna make Stewie angry! I believe, you are right. the 'system' needs serious 'work'.

Chuck

Just to play devil's advocate: Once citizenship is conferred it is very difficult to revoke. One reason to revoke it is if it was gained under false pretenses. The question is so that if they can prove conspiracy of sedition they can revoke citizenship.
Time share sellers ask a couple of similar "trap" questions at the beginning of the process so they don't have to give the gift to those who are playing them.

You gotta be jokin'!

Nope.

I can sorta see them asking you that question...after all, you *DID* have Ming the Merciless as an avatar!!! :P

I forgot about that! O.K.... up against the wall, buddy!:D

Seriously... in further thinking about it, I guess it is a fair question. BUT... we know Kallend better than they do!:D

Chuck

I suppose I'd be more comfortable if you'd just said "immigrants" - but yes, Hispanics are the largest curent group of immigrants;...so far, this seems sensible enough...

Unless you like the idea of the United States looking like Mexico City or Hong Kong!

...until the debate gets framed by rhetoric like this. Intended or not, this leaves the impression that the US looking like London, or Paris, or Frankfurt is somehow more palatable. And of course, we're not really talking about what the cities look like, we're talking about what their residents look like.

Human migration happens. Cultural shifts happen. The United States is not The Promised Land given by God as a haven for Western European faces and culture and the English language in perpetuity.

I'm all for enforcement of sensible immigration laws, and trying to get a handle on illegal immigrants and sanctioning the employers who hire them. But as I've said before, when opposition to "illegal immigration" starts sounding like cover for opposition to non-Caucasian immigration, I'm going to call it as I see it. And I'm not going to be deterred by certain other people who mischaracterize both my personal position on the issue ("You're pro-illegal immigrant!!") and my arguments ("You just want to label everyone as 'racists'!! ") so they can play the player and not the ball.

Chuck

Just to play devil's advocate: Once citizenship is conferred it is very difficult to revoke. One reason to revoke it is if it was gained under false pretenses. The question is so that if they can prove conspiracy of sedition they can revoke citizenship.
Time share sellers ask a couple of similar "trap" questions at the beginning of the process so they don't have to give the gift to those who are playing them.

Thanks, for that!

Chuck

I suppose I'd be more comfortable if you'd just said "immigrants" - but yes, Hispanics are the largest curent group of immigrants;...so far, this seems sensible enough...

Unless you like the idea of the United States looking like Mexico City or Hong Kong!

...until the debate gets framed by rhetoric like this. Intended or not, this leaves the impression that the US looking like London, or Paris, or Frankfurt is somehow more palatable. And of course, we're not really talking about what the cities look like, we're talking about what their residents look like.

Human migration happens. Cultural shifts happen. The United States is not The Promised Land given by God as a haven for Western European faces and culture and the English language in perpetuity.

I'm all for enforcement of sensible immigration laws, and trying to get a handle on illegal immigrants and sanctioning the employers who hire them. But as I've said before, when opposition to "illegal immigration" starts sounding like cover for opposition to non-Caucasian immigration, I'm going to call it as I see it. And I'm not going to be deterred by certain other people who mischaracterize both my personal position on the issue ("You're pro-illegal immigrant!!") and my arguments ("You just want to label everyone as 'racists'!! ") so they can play the player and not the ball.

I just don't like being called a racist. I don't like my words being twisted so as to make me appear as one. Especially by anyone who doesn't know me or anything about me. Illegal is still illegal... I don't care who you are or how you slice it.

Chuck

Yes, this is the government that people think can actually deport illegals. I know how truly stupid the government can be. It took four years for one guy. They'll ask ridiculous questions. And this is for people getting in.

Imagine the difficulties in getting them OUT.

Much like nobody is good enough that skydiving cannot kill them, there is no government program that the government cannot screw up mightily.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Free trips home...

It is said that it would be impossible to deport 12 million people.

Well, you don't have to do it all at once, you just work towards it in dribs and drabs. As they're caught in routine traffic stops, employment checks, or whatever, they get sent to a holding facility. And as soon as the holding facility accumulates a bus-load of them, they get loaded up on a guarded bus and shipped back to Mexico. If Houston can evacuate a quarter-million people in four days with an oncoming hurricane, they can sure as heck send a bus-load of illegal Mexicans back home every day. Greyhound bus lines would probably love to have the contract. We can even stuff $50 in their pockets for their travel expenses back home. And once they learn that coming to America won't give them any permanent residency, maybe they'll stay home and try to work to make their own country a better place.

We really can't completely secure our borders for less than the cost of absorbing the majority of the illegal immigrants. We're talking about 3000 miles of largely rural land here.

You don't need to build a fence or post guards on that entire 3,000 miles. Much of it is unused now because of inhospitable terrain, with vast deserts, steep cliffs, or large mountain ranges. We only need to concentrate assets on the most common routes used for infiltration. As those routes shift to avoid capture, so do our assets.