JohnRich

Illegal Immigrants

This thread is branched-off from "I just drove past my local Home Depot", which is now locked due to severe thread drift. Please keep the discussions on unions and welding somewhere else, and continue the discussion of illegal immigrants here. Thank you.

News:
Half of immigrants in Texas are there illegally

Half of the nearly 3.5 million immigrants living in Texas are in the country illegally, the Center for Immigration Studies says.

Based on the latest Census Bureau data, the report said Texas has one of the fastest-growing immigrant populations of any state. It said that 50 percent of the state's foreign-born population — slightly more than 1.7 million people — are illegal immigrants. Only Arizona at 65 percent, North Carolina at 58 percent and Georgia at 53 percent had a higher proportion of illegal immigrants in their immigrant populations.

Nearly one in three of these newcomers is here illegally. Half of the immigrants from Mexico and Central America are in the country illegally, and one-third of those from South America are illegal immigrants...
Full story: Statesman

OUT... go home....

Apply thru the process....or you do not get legal status.. OR ever get guest worker status.

Free trips home.. and put the onus on the employers..

If an employers hire them.. The employers need to go to jail... the jobs would dry up for the illegals.

easy way to solve this problem

STOP all public funded programs for anyone not a legal resident
examples
school,welfare,hospital etc.

stop the free bees and they will deport themselves

our taxes are paying for those benifits

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

We really can't completely secure our borders for less than the cost of absorbing the majority of the illegal immigrants. We're talking about 3000 miles of largely rural land here. Look at how much it cost E. Germany to secure a much smaller amount of border, and they were trying to keep people IN (which is probably easier).

So the answer might be to encourage (and help) Mexico to make it less attractive for people to come to the US. Yes, it's "their" problem, but by taking the expensive path of trying to fix the problem once they're here, we're turning it into a much more expensive problem.

It might not be as satisfying to help Mexico build up their infrastructure (doing what THEY think is best, not just being our trained country) as to slap down a bunch of people. But it's probably a better long-term result.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

easy way to solve this problem

STOP all public funded programs for anyone not a legal resident
examples
school,welfare,hospital etc.

stop the free bees and they will deport themselves

our taxes are paying for those benifits

Didn't they try that in Cali? I thought the SCOTUS shut them down.

This thread is branched-off from "I just drove past my local Home Depot", which is now locked due to severe thread drift. Please keep the discussions on unions and welding somewhere else, and continue the discussion of illegal immigrants here. Thank you.

News:

Half of immigrants in Texas are there illegally

Half of the nearly 3.5 million immigrants living in Texas are in the country illegally, the Center for Immigration Studies says.

Based on the latest Census Bureau data, the report said Texas has one of the fastest-growing immigrant populations of any state. It said that 50 percent of the state's foreign-born population — slightly more than 1.7 million people — are illegal immigrants. Only Arizona at 65 percent, North Carolina at 58 percent and Georgia at 53 percent had a higher proportion of illegal immigrants in their immigrant populations.

Nearly one in three of these newcomers is here illegally. Half of the immigrants from Mexico and Central America are in the country illegally, and one-third of those from South America are illegal immigrants...
Full story: Statesman

My family went through the process. We paid our dues (emotionally, financially and over a long period of time). If we did it...so can they.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

>STOP all public funded programs for anyone not a legal
>resident - examples school,welfare,hospital etc.

You can do that for school and welfare, but not hospitals. No US hospital is ever going to let a little girl die in the street because no one can find her ID. Which means they will treat any emergent case that comes through their doors (which is how it should be.)

>stop the free bees and they will deport themselves

What about the ones that work?

You can do that for school and welfare, but not hospitals. No US hospital is ever going to let a little girl die in the street because no one can find her ID. Which means they will treat any emergent case that comes through their doors (which is how it should be.)

Most hospital work is not life threatening. Even here in Canada if you cannot demonstrate your insurance they will not treat your non urgent problems.

>They need to be fired, sent home, and the employers punished.

Right. Which is the problem now.

Which is the problem? People living here illegaly (criminals), or employers hiring them illegaly (criminals). The problem is we dont have the balls to do something abuot this issue. As soon as we do here come the liberal human rights activists, etc. Are we forgetting these people are all criminals?

I've just gotten off the phone with the Seminole Tribe elders. We conferenced-in elders from tribes all across the country.

The good news: They don't like dirty, unwashed foreigners coming here, bringing disease and foreign language, and sucking up resources any more than you do. They feel very strongly that not only should illegal immigrants be deported, but so should their offspring.

The bad news: You've all got 1 week to get the fuck out of their country.

to make it less attractive for people to come to the US.
It might not be as satisfying to help Mexico build up their infrastructure (doing what THEY think is best, not just being our trained country) as to slap down a bunch of people. But it's probably a better long-term result.

Yup
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

>People living here illegaly (criminals), or employers hiring them illegaly
>(criminals).

Both.

>The problem is we dont have the balls to do something abuot this issue.
>As soon as we do here come the liberal human rights activists
>consumers etc.

Fixed that. One of the big problems now are people are perfectly willing to scream about it, demand this and that, until they have to pay more for avocados. Then they scream about THAT until some politician proposes a "farm relief bill" that protects migrant workers (no matter what their immigration status) and everyone votes for it - to save money, of course. Let's see if I can get the language right here:

"Support our bill to protect US farmers and help feed hardworking US families!"

Well, who's not going to vote for THAT?

>(criminals).

Both.

As I said in the welding thread, under the current I&NA, only illegal entry is a criminal violation. Over-staying one's visa is illegal, too, but it's purely a civil violation. So...some people living here illegally are not criminals.

>(criminals).

Both.

As I said in the welding thread, under the current I&NA, only illegal entry is a criminal violation. Over-staying one's visa is illegal, too, but it's purely a civil violation. So...some people living here illegally are not criminals.

I dont understand why I had to pay the dues to live here, but these people get a free ride. I want a free ride too! (to Mexico...cause Corona is cheaper there :D)

If you want to come here sign the guest book on the way in.
something interesting, lots of builders in Atlanta have stopped hiring illegals because they have been doing shitty work and cost several companies lots of money.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

Being a contractor I can say this, I get work correcting the crappy work done by some of the illegals. I'm not advocating they stay to insure a steady stream of work for me, rather, the cost of correcting the garbage done by these clowns far offsets any savings in the first place. Better to pay a bit more and get it right the first time.

Besides, what part of "illegal" doesn't sink in with folks? Would you hire an escaped burglar, armed robber, or murderer to do work? They're "illegals" too and just want to make some money to support their families. Face it, illegal means illegal, deport them, don't hire them, don't make their illegal presence in this country any easier. Hopefully the message will sink in back in their own countries that we don't want illegals.

I voted let them stay. The reason is simple - we cannot deport them. It's not that we "cannot" in a figurative sense. It's more of a literal thing - there simply is no way our government can deport them all.

This is a government that can't even keep them out, much less find them and kick them out. I'd rate the suggestions of kicking them all out as having the same pragmatic chances as getting rid of coal-fired power plants. Perhaps a goal that will be possible 30 years down the road, but suggesting that it can happen anytime soon is laughable.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>(criminals).

Both.

I dont understand why I had to pay the dues to live here, but these people get a free ride. I want a free ride too! (to Mexico...cause Corona is cheaper there :D)

Trae papeles?:D I just don't understand the thinking of some folks. You as well as several other posters here, did it the hard way to get here. You played by the rules! But, it's O.K. for millions of others to sneak in to this country and get a 'free pass'. That's a slap in the face of all of those who went through what they did to come here legally. That is just totally screwed-up.:S

Chuck

>They need to be fired, sent home, and the employers punished.

Right. Which is the problem now.

Yes, the only solution if everyone agrees this is a problem is to remove the income. So long as these people from south of the border (and elsewhere) can make a better living in the grey area of our country, they will. I think it's a mistake to try to dehumanize them as leaching criminals. Like everyone else, they're looking out for themselves and their families.

It's not without a price to us in the form of depressed salaries for blue collar work and a certain criminal element that immerges from a group of people who are deportation targets anyway. But historically even the GOP governors are happy to look the other way so that farmers have cheap labor to pick the crops. We're not positive we want to solve the problem, so we leave it in this limbo state. (If it were legitimized, then these people could demand higher wages, not fearing the employer would just send the INS out.)

Yes, it sucks. My two best friends are immigrants. One did it the right way, the other's parents did it the "not right" way.

The point is that SOMETHING must be done to change policy into something more workable. What we have now is NOT working nor is it workable. Yes, it penalizes those who did it right.

Perhaps we should have a change in policy that in some way rewards those who followed the rules.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yes, it sucks. My two best friends are immigrants. One did it the right way, the other's parents did it the "not right" way.

The point is that SOMETHING must be done to change policy into something more workable. What we have now is NOT working nor is it workable. Yes, it penalizes those who did it right.

Perhaps we should have a change in policy that in some way rewards those who followed the rules.

Maybe, you're right. Whatever our government comes-up with, we darned sure need to enforce it. We have to do something about the problem.

Chuck

Whatever our government comes-up with, we darned sure need to enforce it. We have to do something about the problem.

The problems (vulnerabilities) with one effort -- more directed toward those initially entering legally -- were highlighted a few months back:

Border Computers Vulnerable to Attack: GAO Report Details Problems in System

"The U.S. government's main border control system is plagued by computer security weaknesses, increasing the risk of computer attacks, data thefts, and manipulation of millions of identity records including passport, visa and Social Security numbers and the world's largest fingerprint database, officials said.

"U.S. officials have called the US-VISIT system a cornerstone of the nation's efforts to stop terrorists at the borders and stanch the flow of illegal immigrants. It automates the collection of fingerprints and digital photographs, and links border control officers to FBI, border enforcement, immigration and State Department watch lists and databases.

"Congress has allocated $1.7 billion for the system since 2002. But in a congressional report to be released today and obtained by The Washington Post, Homeland Security officials said that many vulnerabilities exist throughout the network and the computer stations used at 400 airports, seaports and land crossings.

"'Weaknesses existed in all control areas and computing device types reviewed,' the Government Accountability Office reported. It called on DHS to 'immediately address' problems to avert potentially crippling disruptions or the misidentification of drug smugglers, terrorists and felons trying to enter the country.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying