DannHuff

Taking Science on Faith

As I said, I have satisfied in my mind and heart what or more correctly who the author of truth is. My journey of discovery has included study of other faiths.

Have you read the Koran? The Vedas and Upanishads? The Guru Granth Sahib? The Sutras? The Avesta?

I'll answer that when you have answered my question on whether you have read the gospels in any depth?

No I haven't, and I probably won't ever bother.

However unless you can say that you have read and studied the texts of every religion in the world then you cannot say that you have 'investigated the evidence' any more than I have, and your argument becomes a hollow hypocritical shell.

So, have you?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

can I ask if you have investigated the evidence in order to reach a conclusion for yourself

As soon as someone discovers some evidence then I will investigate it, unfortunately there still is not a shred of evidence that is anything more then hearsay to suggest the story of Christ is real… if you have this evidence then please present it..

I would greatly encourage people to read the life of Christ in the gospels,

Who wrote the gospels?
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

-- Have you read the Koran? The Vedas and Upanishads? The Guru Granth Sahib? The Sutras? The Avesta . However unless you can say that you have read and studied the texts of every religion in the world then you cannot say that you have 'investigated the evidence' any more than I have, and your argument becomes a hollow hypocritical shell.

--So, have you?

Many of us have studied the principles taught in the major and minor faiths that abound around the world. Although very interesting with many common themes, the Christian faith is the only one that adequately deals with the issue of sin.

If your personal studies have revealed a teaching
that is superior to what Christianity has to offer, please by all means share it with us.

Many of us have studied the principles taught in the major and minor faiths that abound around the world. Although very interesting with many common themes, the Christian faith is the only one that adequately deals with the issue of sin.

Deals with it in what way? And what does "adequately dealing with sin" have to do with whether or not the religion is true anyway?

that is superior to what Christianity has to offer, please by all means share it with us.

You mean something which is more likely to be true? No god.

Although very interesting with many common themes, the Christian faith is the only one that adequately deals with the issue of sin.

I don't understand on what you base this assertion w/r/t sin, would you explain further? How do you measure adequately dealing? Thanks.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

-- Have you read the Koran? The Vedas and Upanishads? The Guru Granth Sahib? The Sutras? The Avesta . However unless you can say that you have read and studied the texts of every religion in the world then you cannot say that you have 'investigated the evidence' any more than I have, and your argument becomes a hollow hypocritical shell.

--So, have you?

Objective evidence that Hindu theology is correct - None
Objective evidence that islamic theology is correct - None
objective evidence that Zoroastrian theology is correct - None
Objective evidence that Judaic theology is accurate - None
Objective evidence that Norse theology is accurate - None
Objective evidence that Greco/Roman theology is accurate - None

Objective evidence that Christian theology is accurate - NONE.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't understand on what you base this assertion w/r/t sin, would you explain further? How do you measure adequately dealing? Thanks.

"All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" Romans 3:23

"While we were helpless, Christ died for the ungodly"
Romans 5:6

"The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus." Romans6:23

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son , that whoever believes in Him should not
perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to judge the
world, but that the world could be saved through Him. " John 3:16&17

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1

Yeah just look at how well it meets the personal needs of a suicidal terrorist!

Christianity teaches one to believe you are born weak and the only way to gain inner strength is by worshiping an invisible male dude that doesn’t pay taxes and thrives on billions of dollars and innocent youth! Don't worship me and i will send you to eternal pain! Lots of love there! Nothing like a religion that threatens you your whole life!

A true religion teaches you are not born weak and YOU are the inner strength!

"All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" Romans 3:23

"While we were helpless, Christ died for the ungodly"
Romans 5:6

"The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus." Romans6:23

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son , that whoever believes in Him should not
perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to judge the
world, but that the world could be saved through Him. " John 3:16&17

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1

Saying Christianity is the only faith that adequately deals with sin is like saying JRR Tolkien is the only one who adequately deals with Hobbits. They are both fictional concepts in fictional worlds.

---Objective evidence that Christian theology is accurate - NONE .

Correct. But the evidence on how it can meet the personal needs of an individual believer is overwhelming.

If that is the measure, sex, alcohol, and skydiving should also be considered religions.

By 312 CE it was the predominant faith of the Roman Empire.

Specify what you mean by predominant. It was certainly not practiced by the majority. It went thru periods of being tolerate and persecuted, and the persecutions were not over by 312. Even as late as 400, the Empire was made up of some pretty significant chunks of assimilated barbarian hordes, with most of them still pagan. Also, Hellenistic beliefs were still far from being Christianized/eradicated. Not to mention the Jewish communities, which were tolerated even more so and earlier than the Christians.

Not only that, but to group them together at that early date is even a bit of a misnomer. The various forms of Christianity were not just splintered, they actually persecuted each other at times. It is only via disintegration of the Roman Empire and the vacumm created that Catholicism became such a powerful force in the shaping of modern Europe. Had the Empire focused more on the northern hordes instead of fixating on the Persians and lands beyond the eastern Mediteranean Basin, the power of the Church would never have acheived the dominance it did.

I don't think that Christianity could be called anything like a predominant faith until much closer to the middle of the 1st millenium.

Sorry, strayed a bit.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

---Objective evidence that Christian theology is accurate - NONE .

Correct. But the evidence on how it can meet the personal needs of an individual believer is overwhelming.

That can be said of any religion. How does it affect whether Christianity is true?

--That can be said of any religion. How does it affect whether Christianity is true?

For the ones who can understand their spiritual need, and experience the fulfillment of the message of Christ; they have no doubt of the truthfulness of Christianity.

Specify what you mean by predominant. It was certainly not practiced by the majority. It went thru periods of being tolerate and persecuted, and the persecutions were not over by 312. Even as late as 400, the Empire was made up of some pretty significant chunks of assimilated barbarian hordes, with most of them still pagan. Also, Hellenistic beliefs were still far from being Christianized/eradicated. Not to mention the Jewish communities, which were tolerated even more so and earlier than the Christians.

Not only that, but to group them together at that early date is even a bit of a misnomer. The various forms of Christianity were not just splintered, they actually persecuted each other at times. It is only via disintegration of the Roman Empire and the vacumm created that Catholicism became such a powerful force in the shaping of modern Europe. Had the Empire focused more on the northern hordes instead of fixating on the Persians and lands beyond the eastern Mediteranean Basin, the power of the Church would never have acheived the dominance it did.

I don't think that Christianity could be called anything like a predominant faith until much closer to the middle of the 1st millenium.

Nice history lesson. I was referring to the conversion of Constantine, the Roman Emperor ( 306-337CE), in 312 and his subsequent declaration of Christianity as the official faith of the Roman Empire.

--If that is the measure, sex, alcohol, and skydiving should also be considered religions.

Correct again. But we all know how the devotees of those religions turn out, except maybe skydiving.

So how does that support your claim, then?

The evidence for me is the power behind the words in the Bible changed my life. But this is not science.....

"Time" by Pink Floyd on Dark Side of the Moon changed my life....PRAISE BE TO THE FLOYD!!! HAALLLEEE--FUCKIN--LOOOYA!
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

Have you read the Koran? The Vedas and Upanishads? The Guru Granth Sahib? The Sutras? The Avesta?

I'll answer that when you have answered my question son whether you have read the gospels in any depth?

No I haven't, and I probably won't ever bother.

However unless you can say that you have read and studied the texts of every religion in the world then you cannot say that you have 'investigated the evidence' any more than I have, and your argument becomes a hollow hypocritical shell.

So, have you?

Thanks for the reply. As for me, the answer remains the same. I have satisfied in my own mind and heart where the truth is. Along the journey I have looked at other faiths but clearly not every faith under the sun. But you get to a point where you are faced with a decision. Christ said "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." So at this point one needs to make a choice as in effect the statement excludes other religions as the way to God.

On a broader note and for those interested, I came across an interesting radio interview of a woman's discovery of faith which touches on some of the elements discussed in these threads. It was aired on public radio last Sunday. It is available as a podcast which runs for around 16 minutes in windows media format.

Podcast

On a broader note and for those interested, I came across an interesting radio interview of a woman's discovery of faith which touches on some of the elements discussed in these threads.

Listened to Rebecca Manley’s Pippert’s podcast interview. She’s fairly mainstream Evangelical Christian practicing the tenets of her religion (as you are) :)
Relative to the thread, you might find interesting … or exasperating :)Beyond the Atheism-Religion Divide from American Public Media’s Speaking of Faith program, which usually plays on NPR. “In 1965, young Harvard professor [of Divinity School] Harvey Cox became the best-selling voice of secularism in America with his book The Secular City. He sees the old thinking in the "new atheism" of figures like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. Cox says that either/or debates between religion and atheism obscure the truly interesting interplay between faith and other forms of knowledge that is unfolding today.”

Looking through the lens of another of the major religious traditions, The Heart’s Reason: Hinduism and Science explores the interplay, differences, and lack of exclusivity between truly cutting edge theoretical physics and faith, i.e., as Prof Davies has argued w/r/t his Christian-influenced Deist perspective (although not in his NY Times Op-Ed). “Theoretical physicist and Hindu scholar V.V. Raman [Emeritus Prof of Physics from Rochester Institute of Technology] has been described as ‘a transcultural voyager — who finds meaning in life as he courses from physics to philosophy, from music to metaphysics, from Bhagavad Gita to Gregorian chants.’ We explore the enriching interplay between Hindu spirituality and the insights of physics in his life and thought.”

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying