Lefty

19-year-old rape victim gets 200 lashes

We really need to speed up ethanol production...:|

Yeah. Use the food crops. How about alternatives? Let's starve more people so we can have our big SUV's.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Yeah. Use the food crops. How about alternatives? Let's starve more people so we can have our big SUV's.

What I mean is that once we're off the unwashed, hairy Saudi Oil Tit, we will no longer need to kiss their ass to get their oil. They can be just as bad as they want, but we needn't deal w/them...
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

Doesn't sound like that will be enough. THere seems to be a lot of talk that suggests that once the oil runs out we are screwed
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

First off, its Saudi Arabia, they are considered by the human rights watch to be the most repressive country in the world. You just don't hear about it because they are such a large oil exporter and no one wants to piss them off. A friend of my family was based there in the airforce and he has some crazy stories about the country. Like watching public beheadings in the town square for things like premarital sex. Not to mention beating your wife is common and accepted in the country. The place really is stuck in the 3rd century. The funniest part is how western the royal family is but continues to be repressive to stay in power. Conservative financial estimates have the stored wealth, in cash, of the house of saud (ruling family) at roughly 900 billion dollars. (was in the WSJ a few years ago)

Second, ethanol alone will not be able to provide energy for the entire United States. Even if every square mile of the farm land in the united states was planted with corn and it was all used for ethanol you would still not be able to meet even 50% of the USA's energy requirements. Its uses in the long run will really be limited to cars mainly because of its low energy content under normal atmospheric conditions. Just look up compression ratios for ethanol in cars, im not going to explain it on here. Not to mention that the current methods for producing it make it MORE expensive than oil.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

The place really is stuck in the 3rd century.

The third century? AD or BC. These neanderthals still make fire with flint stones and cloth themselves with animal hides (that they killed, ate and tanned). There has been no change in that part of the word since recorded history began.

Their devotion to that ancient religion has them held back in the cave til time ends.

It is unfortunate for both of us, that we have to share the same globe.

Sorry if that insults or angers anyone...., no I'm not. I am an infidel so I am going to burn in hell anyway . Not that I beleive that either.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

If that's the way the want their country to be, that is their problem. I am not interested in trying to change people who don't want to change. I am just glad that I don't live there.

Who cares that my neighbor rapes his wife and daughters and then gives them 200 lashes for being raped. It is his property and it is their problem. I am just glad that I don't live there. :S
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Nice try, but not the same thing. If it were a neighbor then we would both be under the same laws. This topic is about a different country. We don't want their laws and they don't want our laws. Who are we to decide for them what laws they should be governed by.

If that's the way the want their country to be, that is their problem. I am not interested in trying to change people who don't want to change. I am just glad that I don't live there.

Who cares that my neighbor rapes his wife and daughters and then gives them 200 lashes for being raped. It is his property and it is their problem. I am just glad that I don't live there. :S
I'll say it again. Who died and made us (USA) the world police? Their country, their business. If it were my neighbor, in MY COUNTRY, that would be different.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Nice try, but not the same thing. If it were a neighbor then we would both be under the same laws. This topic is about a different country. We don't want their laws and they don't want our laws. Who are we to decide for them what laws they should be governed by.

You get that Saudi Arabia isn't a democracy, right?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'll say it again. Who died and made us (USA) the world police? Their country, their business. If it were my neighbor, in MY COUNTRY, that would be different.

There is more to the argument than any one nation-state or supra-national body as 'world police.'

It's a normative issue (ethics), which admittedly are much harder to argue. If one does *not* accept cultural relativism, but instead asserts that certain behaviors are a challenge to the human species/humanity, such as torture, genocide (ethinic or racial based mass-murder), rape, enslavement, feminine genital mutilation, then there is an onus to challenge/object/act.

When and how (by what means/to what degree) should the US or any other nation-state act internationally for normative reasons is complicated.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

What if you live along a "man made" border and your neighbor is on the opposite side and thus not under the same law. There are some laws that should be universal and some laws that should be local.

No one. Just because universally immoral things are done on the opposite side of a "man made" border is not a reason to accept immoral things being done.

Well I sure as fuck ain't going to try to take on their judicial system from my back door.

What's your fucking point?

I don't think their laws right, but it's not enough to cause me to want to over throw their gov.

"What if both parachutes don't open." sounds pretty similar to your argument.

Well I sure as fuck ain't going to try to take on their judicial system from my back door.

What's your fucking point?

I don't think their laws right, but it's not enough to cause me to want to over throw their gov.

"What if both parachutes don't open." sounds pretty similar to your argument.

I am not stating that we have to overthrow their government. What I am stating is that if we are going to allow their government to do such things then we should also allow the individuals repressed by their government to immigrate to the United States of America (or another country of their choice).

We don't want their laws and they don't want our laws. Who are we to decide for them what laws they should be governed by.

Just a guess, but I don't think the woman in the article would mind a couple more of our laws and a few less of theirs, but there's clearly no one over there interested in what she wants (except maybe the lawyer in the article who was disbarred for trying to defend her.)

You are right though, we don't have any real authority, let alone obligation, to do anything about it. Women in Saudi Arabia are perpetually in the wrong place at the wrong time. Life can be cruel that way.

yeah!!? so what!

It means you can't say "Well, those are the laws they chose" - they are the laws that are imposed on the populace.

Do you think we should over throw their gov because they are not a democracy?

Umm, right. Dude, you are the only person on this thread who has mentioned overthrows or invasions or any of that nonsense. Newsflash, being happy bedfellows or invading are not the only two options in international relations.

Now (using your tactics) why don't you give a shit about freedom?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Those people can rise up and over throw the monarchy. It's been done before.

Sure I care about freedom. What does that have to do with the laws of a country I don't live in. I don't have any interest in trying to change the laws in a country I don't live in.

As long as they conform to our immigration laws then they are welcome to immigrate to the US.

If you are going to allow universally immoral things to happen behind "man made" borders than you should not have immigration laws because they prevent individuals who are being repressed from crossing "man made" borders to cease the repression.