billvon

Congress begins to grow a pair

Finally the US Congress is beginning to realize that they, and not the president, run the US. Let's hope this is the beginning of a trend.

=====================
WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Thursday handed President Bush his first veto override -- authorizing $23 billion in new water projects. The Senate voted to pass the bill 79-14, despite the president's objections.

Supporters said the projects authorized under the Water Resources Development Act are necessary to rebuild the Gulf Coast after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, restore the Everglades and Great Lakes fisheries and build flood-control projects nationwide.

Bush spiked the measure Friday despite its overwhelming bipartisan support, calling it too costly and complaining that the 900 projects it authorized would overtax the Army Corps of Engineers.

Great...anyone else have a feeling that the $23 billion won't stay at that amount for long? I'm with Butters; having a pair would mean doing what's hard for the government to do, and that's cutting back spending. As Bill says, the Congress runs the U.S. Maybe we should stop ragging on Bush for everything and focus more on Congress.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Great...anyone else have a feeling that the $23 billion won't stay at that amount for long? I'm with Butters; having a pair would mean doing what's hard for the government to do, and that's cutting back spending. As Bill says, the Congress runs the U.S. Maybe we should stop ragging on Bush for everything and focus more on Congress.

didn't Hillary have a quote like "I have a million ideas for us if I become president. So many that we can't afford them all."

Seems the attitude of ALL politicians (Hillary just an example this time) is that they don't have ideas to reduce spending, just more things to spend on.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Supporters said the projects authorized under the Water Resources Development Act are necessary to rebuild the Gulf Coast after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina,

I say to hell with them! Until they can account for the billions they already got since the storm they wouldn't get another dime from me. Louisiana is so corrupt with so much money just missing they shouldn't get anything until they figure out how to manage what they got.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I say to hell with them! Until they can account for the billions they already got since the storm they wouldn't get another dime from me. Louisiana is so corrupt with so much money just missing they shouldn't get anything until they figure out how to manage what they got.

Do you feel this strongly about money allocated for the Iraq war?

Since when does the congress 'run' the U.S.? Maybe for you it was on 1/1/07.

We have 3 branches of govt. Administrative, Legislative and Judicial. It's called balance of powers.

So, they had one veto override. What does that prove? Is a veto override only good when GWB is President?

> Since when does the congress 'run' the U.S.?

Since we wrote the constitution. Congress has the lawmaking power in the US. They make laws, set policy, declare war, regulate commerce, run the treasury, create and maintain the military, set what rules the military operates under, controls all militias in the US, set taxes etc. They are in charge.

The executive branch has quite limited authority under the original US constitution; the judicial branch decides on constitutionality and legality of laws and actions.

>So, they had one veto override. What does that prove?

That they have finally realized that they do not have to do whatever the president says. They seem to have forgotten that lately.

>Is a veto override only good when GWB is President?

Nope!

> Why can't they grow a pair and cut back on instead of increasing spending ...

Because then they would "hate america."

Or be starving children or putting old people out of thier homes or not helping sick people or ..............:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Finally the US Congress is beginning to realize that they, and not the president, run the US. Let's hope this is the beginning of a trend.

=====================
And which part of government takes care of national security and comands the military?

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Or be starving children or putting old people out of thier homes or
>not helping sick people or . . .

Now you've got it! Everyone has their pet project, and canceling it would be the end of the world. (to them at least)

Some causes are better than others. If we got rid of air traffic control, public education, the CDC and the military, we'd probably all be worse off. If we got rid of the NEA, or oil company subsidies, or got out of Iraq, probably no major changes.

Now you've got it! Everyone has their pet project, and canceling it would be the end of the world. (to them at least)

Some causes are better than others. If we got rid of air traffic control, public education, the CDC and the military, we'd probably all be worse off. If we got rid of the NEA, or oil company subsidies, or got out of Iraq, probably no major changes.

Get rid of subsidies to sugar growers, cotton growers, and my colleague who is paid by the Feds to grow NOTHING on his farm.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i guess that congress really likes what bush has done because they could have the troops pulled anytime they wanted but they don't vote that way - remember that the next time a candidate tells you how much they hate the war and so should you and if you vote for me i will fix it - they tell you what you want to hear and then do what they want - the democrats control congress but things haven't changed and the american people are still told lies by them - dem or rep they all lie cheat and steal and we continue to vote them in - bashing bush isn't the answer - voting out the well known and long term politicians is the way to start a change - the unknown candidate may not be the best choice but at least it has a chance for someting new

>i guess that congress really likes what bush has done because they
>could have the troops pulled anytime they wanted but they don't vote that way . . .

Well, no they can't. Bush is the commander-in-chief. They could cut off funding, but Bush could order them to stay there until they were all dead. And no one wants that.

Get rid of subsidies to sugar growers, cotton growers, and my colleague who is paid by the Feds to grow NOTHING on his farm.

Oh shit. I'm in agreement with both Billvon and Kallend. I sure am glad it's not June 6th of last year.

> Since when does the congress 'run' the U.S.?

Since we wrote the constitution. Congress has the lawmaking power in the US. They make laws, set policy, declare war, regulate commerce, run the treasury, create and maintain the military, set what rules the military operates under, controls all militias in the US, set taxes etc. They are in charge.

The executive branch has quite limited authority under the original US constitution; the judicial branch decides on constitutionality and legality of laws and actions.

I don't agree. All 3 branches of our govt. were created to keep the other 2 in balance. Yes the congress writes laws, but they don't become law unless the president signs it. If laws are passed by congress and the president, it can be overturned by the Supreme Court.

>All 3 branches of our govt. were created to keep the other 2 in balance.

Yes, all three can balance the others if they get out of control. That does not mean they are all the same, or that they all have similar roles, powers or responsibilities.

But you don't have to believe me. Check it out here:

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html