Amazon

Was the use of the Atomic Bomb on a city wrong??

Within a year, more than 100 letters & papers on experimental and theoretical aspects of nuclear physics and fission appeared in the literature.

Yep. And Leo Szilard did somethign remarkable - he talked the US physicists and other scientists into not publishing their results - keeping them secret so the Germans could not lear from them.

Amazing the stuff I learn from Modern Marvels.B|

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Within a year, more than 100 letters & papers on experimental and theoretical aspects of nuclear physics and fission appeared in the literature.

Yep. And Leo Szilard did somethign remarkable - he talked the US physicists and other scientists into not publishing their results - keeping them secret so the Germans could not lear from them.

Modern Marvels is a great show.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

If you want a proper history, I suggest "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes. ISBN-10: 0684813785
ISBN-13: 978-0684813783

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Germany was the first to fission an atom when Otto Hahn and Fritz Straussman did it, but didn't know it. It was only later that it was concluded that they split uranium.

In Dec 1938, Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn & Frank Strassman figured out the implications of experiments they had conducted that summer on bombarding uranium nitrate with neutrons - fission w/the accompanying exothermic reaction.

They had expected to observe radium as daughter product, they got barium.

In early 1939, Hahn & Strassman publish in a German journal (whose name I don't remember); Meitner & Hahn published in the British journal, Nature.

VR/Marg

The discovery of FISSION was due to Meitner and Frisch.

dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Chem-History/Meitner-Fission-1939.html

I thought fission is when you mix jazz and new age music...........................

Do some research before posting crap like that.

Fission comes from Alka-Seltzer.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Isn't war grand![:/]

Man alive, I would have hated to make that call (dropping atomic weapons on innocent civilians?). Each bomb killed like 50,000 people outright. Then there was the radiation that left thousands to die a slow lingering death.

What I have trouble understanding is how thousands of Americans could be cheering in the streets after doing such a terrible act.

The cheering was about the war being over, not about the destruction/death. The people celebrating were not holding up newspapers that said "We killed 150,000 people, many of whome were civilian women and children".

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It is hard to try to justify the death of woman and children and the targeting of civilians. We knew we would kill lots of civilians but we did it anyway. We judge others who target civilians or are careless about killing civilians very harshly.

It was a horrible time and hard decisions had to be made. When I look at our enemies in that war I am sure they would have used the bombs on us if they had them.

WWII the good guys won. We did what we had to do.

There were a number of options considered for using the bomb. One idea was a "demo" on some sparsely populated island. Another was to give a warning some days before the attack that a certain city would be targeted with a "new and very destructive weapon" and should be avacuated. Both of those ideas were turned down, as it was thought the Japanese would concentrate POWs in any selected area if a warning were given. As it happened, there were a few hundred American POWs in Hiroshima anyway, who suffered the same as their Japanese captors and civilians around them. It was decided that the only way to bring the reality of what the enemy faced unless they surrendered immediately home to them by destroying whole populated cities.

Going back some 81 years earlier to the American Civil War, William Tecumseh Sherman explained his March Across Georgia campaign, which targeted the civilian population of the Confederacy by saying, "As these people have chosen war, I intend to give it them in full measure". This should serve as a sobering reminder to ANY national leader who would lead his country into war that the blade cuts both ways and that he may bring great suffering on his own people as a result.

Hiroshima in particular was deliberately spared from ANY air raids at all, in order to make a fuller demonstration of what just one bomb would do.

It should also be remembered that Japan didn't surrender after Hiroshima. We had to drop a second bomb three days later on Nagasaki to make the Emporer and High Command wonder just how many of these bombs we had. truthful answer is at the moment we had no more that were ready to go. Back stateside, a "Little Boy" uranium bomb was being dismantled, so that the uranium could be converted into Plutonium sufficient for five "Fat Man" bombs, which were much more powerful.

In recently released documents it has been shown that even after the loss of two cities, Emporer Hirohito's primary concern was whether or not he would be able to remain on the throne after a surrender. With two cities and their populations annihilated, it still took him the better part of a week to decide that maybe enough was enough.

Nice fuckin' guy, really cared about his people. And we even let the fucker come & visit Disneyland...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

In recently released documents it has been shown that even after the loss of two cities, Emporer Hirohito's primary concern was whether or not he would be able to remain on the throne after a surrender. With two cities and their populations annihilated, it still took him the better part of a week to decide that maybe enough was enough.

seems to cast doubt on the assertion that a demo on an empty island would have made much of an impression.

Hiroshima in particular was deliberately spared from ANY air raids at all, in order to make a fuller demonstration of what just one bomb would do.

You're just asking for trouble, aren't you?

You're just asking for trouble, aren't you?

Saying it was spared in order to make a 'military' demonstration is a lot different than saying it was spared so the PhD's could study the aftereffects.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There was a third bomb. The plutonium core and initiator were on schedule, barring delays, to ship to Tinian Aug 12/13 with the bomb being ready to use in the first suitable weather after Aug 17/18.

Nagasaki was an alternate target. Kokura Arsenal was the primary. Nagasaki was where the Mitsubishi torpedoes used at Pearl harbor had been made.
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion" - Democritus