Amazon

Was the use of the Atomic Bomb on a city wrong??

>

No, but they came out far richer than they went in.

The U.K, on the otherhand has only just finished paying for it (in finacial terms) and has lost it's manufactuering base since... and to whom? Yeap, you guessed it. Thanks World:S

Paying for it? Hell, just run your debt to the roof! Maybe that's why the pound just went 2:1 on the US buck and the new Euro is kicking our asses too.

For those of you who said the US was wrong for bombing cities, what would you have done instead?

Bomb Tokyo as a demonstration. Casualties and damage would be minimal and the message would be sent. Give em a week see what they do, then reconvene and make your next move if no surrender.

Not much range of choice there for the non americans... A bit like "with us or against us!"

As a non American, I kinda wish it hadn't happened. But if I was at home, sleeping, and some guy came in and attacked me, I can assure you I would be as violent as required, and would use any weapon at my disposal to end that confrontation as fast as possible. I can fully understand and identify the US response.

Japan had been very, very bad. Their behaviour bordered on the demonic, and the German's structured, documented genocide simply lacked passion by comparison to the violence visited on the Chinese in the middle 1930's. Having said that, in the same way not all Germans were Nazi's, I'm sure there were a few young children who evaporated on that fateful day who had done little wrong.

I think Japan was also a demonstration to the Russians, and can understand why some people thought that demo was required at the time.

We're 62 years down the line now, and the world is a different place. Those guys did what they thought was the right thing to do at the time.
Anything we deciede now is pointless.

As for the USA being nuked one day - that's always a possibility. There's no such thing as a perfect fail safe. A gentleman keeps his friendships in a state of good repair, and the US has done a poor job of that in recent times.

We live our lives forwards, and (hopefully) understand them backwards. Countries lives are longer than ours. It would be great if they could do the same thing.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Read up on how the Japanese defended the islands of Okinawa. More than 10,000 Americans died and over 1/3 of the islands population perished. This was for a small piece of land. Now lets talk about the mainland invasion of Japan. Our generals estimated that over ONE MILLION Americans would be killed or wounded and god knows how many civilians would also die. Also remember that the mainland was NEVER successfully invaded in Japan's entire history. We had the option to end the war in days not years and save hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides.

I know a little bit of history. I have read what the Japanese did in Nanking and how they treated enemies. Ruthless is an understatement.

It is hard to try to justify the death of woman and children and the targeting of civilians. We knew we would kill lots of civilians but we did it anyway. We judge others who target civilians or are careless about killing civilians very harshly.

But after reading everyone’s posts and talking about this subject a few times, I would say we did the best thing for the world and in that war I have no problem saying we were the good guys. It was a lot more black and white.
It was a horrible time and hard decisions had to be made. When I look at our enemies in that war I am sure they would have used the bombs on us if they had them.

WWII the good guys won. We did what we had to do.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

you really believe that????
:|

He's right - unless you massively expand Customs / TSA and ensure that ALL containers and shipments are searched - every single one, every time - there is no way to prevent a bomb from being shipped in.

That doesn't even take into account bringing a man-pack warhead up from Mexico...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes I most certainly do believe it. It is written in the WORD of God, and that is one book that tells no lies.

The downfall of America is written 3 or 4 times in Daniel, and once in Revelation.

All great empires that developed total arrogance and immorality, failed.

The Roman Empire, the Nazi Empire ( last 1000 years?) the Egyptians, the Greek empire, the Japanese Empire, and the list is endless, going back many thousands of years.

God destroyed the world in Noah's time with a great flood because "all the world is filled with violence". He said He would never bring another flood, but look at the violence in the world today.....God sure can't be pleased with what He sees.

America leads the pack. They start wars, eradicate civilian populations, and think only of getting someone else's land---and oil.The American dream is built solely on greed.

You can believe America's payback ison the way.

Two bombs on Japan ( that is known as he TYPE ) and two bombs on the USA ( that is known as the anti-type).

The downfall of America is written 3 or 4 times in Daniel, and once in Revelation.

Where?

if you switch two vowels in Daniel, you get Denial

If you mix up the letters in Revelation, you get Elatoviner

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In Daniel, it is following several mentions of the war in Iraq, and in Revelation, it is actually twice mentioned, but they are connected with other verses, right before the mention of the total destruction of New York City ( and the United Nations), which will become totally UN-TIED.

(Just a change of a couple of letters.)

edited for a spelling error

Yes I most certainly do believe it. It is written in the WORD of God, and that is one book that tells no lies.

Aw man, I was looking forward to a well thoughtout and viable response - then you go all preacher on us. [:/]

I think there are many reasons why someone will bomb the US - none of which relate to the bible.
To know requires proof
To believe requires evidence
To have faith requires neither.
If you stick with that, we'll never be confused again

Bill Cole wrote:

The USA will get their payback ....two cities....two bombs in the hands of Al Qaeda.

Almost sounds as if you want it to happen. I guess I'm a little surprised. [:/]

No, I wish it wouldn't happen, but it most certainly will. It cannot be avoided.

but I wish it could be avoided

Bill

You seem pretty sure about this. This is the kind of thinking that has made me suspicious of religion in general, and I'll bet I'm not alone. Absolute allegiance to anything makes me nervous. I was given a mind to think with, yet the scriptures want to do my thinking for me. This whole religion issue causes more deaths throughout history...amazing ain't it?

Also, you used the word "payback". Sounds as if you at least believe we deserve this.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

In Daniel, it is following several mentions of the war in Iraq, and in Revelation, it is actually twice mentioned, but they are connected with other verses, right before the mention of the total destruction of New York City ( and the United Nations), which will become totally UN-TIED.

(Just a change of a couple of letters.)

I'll try again.

Where in Daniel and Revelations is the "downfall of America" talked about?

I'm asking for specific verses.... especially the parts about two nuclear bombs being detonated on US soil.

Isn't war grand![:/]

Man alive, I would have hated to make that call (dropping atomic weapons on innocent civilians?). Each bomb killed like 50,000 people outright. Then there was the radiation that left thousands to die a slow lingering death.

What I have trouble understanding is how thousands of Americans could be cheering in the streets after doing such a terrible act.

But who am I to judge. I wasn't alive back then. I never saw my sons sent off to a war never to return. This trajedy probably meant the end of the war, so I can see how this could be good news indeed! Most Americans never saw the horror that fell on those two cities.

It's interesting to hear people say that they don't like communism because of their belief that "The End Justifies the Means". Yet we did exactly that, when we dropped those bombs.

So, "Did we do the right thing?"......My head says yes, but my guts say no......

He's right - unless you massively expand Customs / TSA and ensure that ALL containers and shipments are searched - every single one, every time - there is no way to prevent a bomb from being shipped in.

That doesn't even take into account bringing a man-pack warhead up from Mexico...

...and let me guess, you blame the democrats for this not being standard procedure already, even though such procedures were recommended to be put in place years ago.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

...and let me guess, you blame the democrats for this not being standard procedure already, even though such procedures were recommended to be put in place years ago.

Nope...but your bias is showing.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If Germany had it, would they have used it? I think so.

Germany was the first to fission an atom when Otto Hahn and Fritz Straussman did it, but didn't know it. It was only later that it was concluded that they split uranium.

In the US, Leo Szilard, a Hungarian physicist in exile, realized the ramifications and drafted a famous letter to FDR. It explained that the Germans could develop an atomic bomb, and that the US should develop one first. Needing clout, he got Einstein to sign it. FDR acted.

The atomic bomb was designed for use on Germany and Japan. The war in Europe ended before it could be deployed.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

For those of you who said the US was wrong for bombing cities, what would you have done instead?

While I'm not saying the US was wrong, I think a better choice would have been the Imperial Palace or center of government in Tokyo. The civilians in Hiroshima weren't the war criminals.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Germany was the first to fission an atom when Otto Hahn and Fritz Straussman did it, but didn't know it. It was only later that it was concluded that they split uranium.

In Dec 1938, Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn & Frank Strassman figured out the implications of experiments they had conducted that summer on bombarding uranium nitrate with neutrons - fission w/the accompanying exothermic reaction.

They had expected to observe radium as daughter product, they got barium.

In early 1939, Hahn & Strassman publish in a German journal (whose name I don't remember); Meitner & Hahn published in the British journal, Nature.

Within a year, more than 100 letters & papers on experimental and theoretical aspects of nuclear physics and fission appeared in the literature.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying