Helping Children Who Have Lost a Parent in the Iraq War

Or, turning Poo into Gold.

Remember the smaer campaign against Rush Limbaugh based on assertions that he made disparaging remarks about US soldiers?

Fourty-One Senate members signed a letter to the CEO of Clear Channel Communications, the syndicator of the Limbaugh radio show, demanding the he "publically repudiate [Limbaugh's] comments that call into question [the soldiers] service and sacrifice and ask Mr. Limbaugh to apologize for his comments" (the poo).

The CEO gave the original letter to Limbaugh, and he decided to auction it on Ebay with a promise to match the winning bid dollar-for-dollar and donate all proceeds to a charity that helps kids who have lost a parent in combat or had a parent killed in the line of duty in Federal law enforcement http://www.mc-lef.org/ (the gold).

The bidding ends today at 1:00 EST. Current bid is over $2,100,000 for the letter. Limbaugh has asked the 41 Senators if they would like to contribute as well, but interestingly there has been no response.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=rush-letter-for-charity

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Limbaugh has asked the 41 Senators if they would like to contribute as well, but interestingly there has been no response

They will gladly respond. Just as soon as they have someone else's money to contribute.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yea that backfired on the 41 senators for sure. They may hate Limbaugh but they underestimated him and now they look like idiots. People may disagree with Limbaugh but he is not stupid. Those 41 are finding out the hard way. I hope this raises a bunch of money for this charity.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Yea that backfired on the 41 senators for sure. They may hate Limbaugh but they underestimated him and now they look like idiots. People may disagree with Limbaugh but he is not stupid. Those 41 are finding out the hard way. I hope this raises a bunch of money for this charity.

Since the charity was formed in 1995, they have raised $29,000,000. At the current bid for the letter the auction will raise, in one week, ~15% (4.2M$) of what the charity has raised in the last 12 years.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Since the charity was formed in 1995, they have raised $29,000,000. At the current bid for the letter the auction will raise, in one week, ~15% (4.2M$) of what the charity has raised in the last 12 years.

Well, at least that bullshit letter did SOME good...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Does anyone has an idea, why most of the signers of that letter did not sign the moveon.org reprisal?

A very interesting question. I don't think they had any issue with Rep. Murtha's comments calling Marines murderers either.

...hmmm...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I don't understand why the fund is organized around the Marine Corps and Federal Law Enforcement. According to the foundation's site, the rest of the military services are not included. A fund which would be exclusive to the Marine Corp or Federal Law Enforcement would make some sense to me, but the combination seems odd.

Anyone have some insight into this?

FallRate

From their website -

Armed Forces Family Scholarship & Assistance Fund
The Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation undertook a special initiative to cover eligible children whose parent was killed in the line of duty between 1 January 2002 and 15 July 2003. The goal of the Armed Forces Family Scholarship & Assistance Fund (AFFSAF) was to provide scholarships for the higher education of children of all fallen service personnel in the Iraqi and Afghanistan war operations. We provided a $40,000 maturity value bond to every eligible child whose parent was killed in these tragic events. The branches of military include the US Air Force, US Army, US Marine Corps, US Navy and Coalition Partners. This program's value was over $11,000,000.00.

And...

Since 1995, the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation has distributed scholarship assistance valued over $25,000,000.00. These scholarships have primarily been awarded to children of the following organizations that we support:

United States Marine Corps
Federal Bureau of Investigation
United States Secret Service
Drug Enforcement Administration
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Bureau of Customs and Border Protection
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
United States Marshals Service
Naval Criminal Investigative Service
Federal Air Marshal Service

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't understand why the fund is organized around the Marine Corps and Federal Law Enforcement. According to the foundation's site, the rest of the military services are not included. A fund which would be exclusive to the Marine Corp or Federal Law Enforcement would make some sense to me, but the combination seems odd.

FallRate

Well, they are supporting DoD, Navy, Marine, and a whole bunch of federal law enforcement: FBI, DEA, USSS, CIS, ICE, Customs, ATF, Marshalls, NCIS, Air Marshall.

I don't have any special insight into this, only that Marines have a unique esprit de corps that the other branches of service do not have.

I would submit that law enforcement agencies have a similar esprit de corps.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Does anyone has an idea, why most of the signers of that letter did not sign the moveon.org reprisal?

You mean voted "no" on it?

Here are the "Nay" voters for Senate Amd 2934 re moveon:

Akaka (D-HI)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Byrd (D-WV)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dodd (D-CT)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Levin (D-MI)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Murray (D-WA)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

Didn't vote: Biden Cantwell Obama

Here are the signers of the smear letter:

Daniel Akaka
Max Baucus
Joseph Biden
Barbara Boxer
Sherrod Brown
Robert Byrd
Benjamin Cardin
Tom Carper
Bob Casey
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Kent Conrad
Richard Durbin
Christopher Dodd
Byron Dorgan
Dianne Feinstein
Tom Harkin
Daniel Inouye
Edward M. Kennedy
John Kerry
Amy Klobuchar
Mary Landrieu
Frank Lautenberg
Carl Levin
Patrick Leahy
Blanche Lincoln
Bob Menendez
Barbara Mikulski
Patty Murray
Bill Nelson
Barack Obama
Jack Reed
Harry Reid
Jay Rockefeller
Ken Salazar
Bernie Sanders
Charles Schumer
Debbie Stabenow
Jon Tester
Jim Webb
Sheldon Whitehous
Ron Wyden

Here are the matches between the two lists:

Daniel Akaka
Barbara Boxer
Sherrod Brown
Robert Byrd
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Richard Durbin
Christopher Dodd
Tom Harkin
Daniel Inouye
Edward M. Kennedy
John Kerry
Frank Lautenberg
Carl Levin
Bob Menendez
Patty Murray
Jack Reed
Harry Reid
Jay Rockefeller
Bernie Sanders
Charles Schumer
Debbie Stabenow
Sheldon Whitehous
Ron Wyden
---------------------

What does it mean? I guess they are not happy with General Petraeus, nor with Rush Limbaugh, both of whom are highly supportive of our soldiers. What insight I have. Or is it incite? (sorry MEK:S)

-NickDG

FallRate

Edited cuz i can't read.

It does seem like a strange combination.

-NickDG

Can people put in fake bids on Ebay just to bollix up an auction, or do they have to prequalify somehow? Anyone know?

-NickDG

I't is possible this attack letter will generate 5,000,000 before its all said and done. Rush is putting 2,100,100.00 of his own money to this good cause so far.

Now what happens to this letter? What is the historical value of this letter in the future?

Does this letter give any of us any indication as to how our nation will be run if Hillary becomes president and will Rush be able to continue his radio program without fear of government thugs taking his golden EIB microphone to fund Air America. Will Armed Services Radio be required to carry 3 hours of Air America to balance NPR?:P

I'll ponder these question as I drive my Wife's Hummer to lunch doing my part to prevent Global Cooling.

Can't wait to see the damage control and attempts to claim credit for the donations to the charity by the letter-signers. Harry Reid addressed the issue today at noon ET in the Senate. Now Rush is his best buddy.

Also it seems that the only major news company that knows about the auction is Fox. Perhaps they really are a tool of the right.

-NickDG

I't is possible this attack letter will generate 5,000,000 before its all said and done. Rush is putting 2,100,100.00 of his own money to this good cause so far.

Now what happens to this letter? What is the historical value of this letter in the future?

Does this letter give any of us any indication as to how our nation will be run if Hillary becomes president and will Rush be able to continue his radio program without fear of government thugs taking his golden EIB microphone to fund Air America. Will Armed Services Radio be required to carry 3 hours of Air America to balance NPR?:P

I'll ponder these question as I drive my Wife's Hummer to lunch doing my part to prevent Global Cooling.

The winning bidder is Betty Casey who runs the Eugene B. Casey Foundation. She is a big fan of Rush's.

Couldn't find much info on her.

"Casey grew up poor, but married well. By the time her husband of 31 years, famously tight-fisted Maryland speculator and developer Eugene B. Casey, died in 1986, he had accumulated a fortune estimated at more than $200 million. While he was so cheap that he would turn off the Coke machine when he left his office at night to save electricity, she has become one of Washington's most generous philanthropists. Among her projects: spending millions on the Washington Opera and $50 million to plant trees...."

A Generous Rich Republican? One who donated $50,000,000 to plan trees (which consume CO2)? Go figure.

-NickDG

A very interesting question. I don't think they had any issue with Rep. Murtha's comments calling Marines murderers either.

...hmmm...

That is because it perfectly suited their mindset of how they perceive soldiers, and Marines;)

Still looking for audio or video of his speech today. Here are some cuts from the transcript. My comments added.

"This week, Rush Limbaugh put the original copy of that letter up for auction on eBay. Mr. President, we didn't have time, or we could have gotten every Senator to sign that letter."

Why did you deliver it to Clear Channel without every Senator's signature, then? What was the hurry?

"...I thought this probably wouldn't make much money, a letter, written by Democrat Senators, complaining about something. This morning, the bid is more than two million for this.... It keeps going up, and up, and up.... "And for the cause, Madam President, it's extremely good. Now everybody knows that Rush Limbaugh and I don't agree on everything in life. Maybe that's kind of an understatement. But, without qualification, Mark May, the owner of the network that has Rush Limbaugh, their auction is going to be something that raises money for a worthwhile cause. I don't know what WE could do more important than helping to ensure that children of our fallen soldiers and police officers who have fallen in the line of duty have the opportunity for their children to have a good education."

Who's "we"? Do you have a mouse in your ass Senator?

"..Rush Limbaugh took it upon himself to attack the courage and character of those fighting and dying for him and for all of us. Rush Limbaugh got himself a deferment from serving when he was a young man. He never served in uniform. He never saw in person the extreme difficulty of maintaining peace in a foreign country engaged in a civil war. He never saw a person in combat. Yet he thinks that his opinion on the war is worth more than those who have been on the front lines. And what's worse, Limbaugh's show is broadcast on Armed Forces Radio, which means that thousands of troops overseas and veterans here at home were forced to hear this attack on their patriotism. Rush Limbaugh owes the men and women of our armed forces an apology."

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_101907/content/01125109.guest.html

-NickDG

Ahh. I saw this part:

Since 1995, the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation has distributed scholarship assistance valued over $25,000,000.00. These scholarships have primarily been awarded to children of the following organizations that we support:

United States Marine Corps
Federal Bureau of Investigation
United States Secret Service
Drug Enforcement Administration
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Bureau of Customs and Border Protection
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
United States Marshals Service
Naval Criminal Investigative Service
Federal Air Marshal Service

Didn't see this part:

Armed Forces Family Scholarship & Assistance Fund
The Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation undertook a special initiative to cover eligible children whose parent was killed in the line of duty between 1 January 2002 and 15 July 2003. The goal of the Armed Forces Family Scholarship & Assistance Fund (AFFSAF) was to provide scholarships for the higher education of children of all fallen service personnel in the Iraqi and Afghanistan war operations. We provided a $40,000 maturity value bond to every eligible child whose parent was killed in these tragic events. The branches of military include the US Air Force, US Army, US Marine Corps, US Navy and Coalition Partners. This program's value was over $11,000,000.00.

Thanks.

FallRate