steve1

Does Skydiving Attract Many Who Are in Need of Mental Health Services

Everyone knows we're all mentally disturbed; to varying extents, no matter what jobs or activities we pursue.:)

Your comment reminds me of a few years back -- when I had more free time and was in better shape (connection?) -- most of the folks with whom I ice-climbed thought skydiving was "crazy," and many of the folks with whom I skydived throught ice-climbing was "crazy." Nevermind, a substantial group in both think BASE-jumping is "crazy" or some more colorful metaphor.:)
Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

One openly admitted he took it up because he figured it would make a great opening line for meeting women. Yowza! What a bonehead.

I don't think this guy is as much of a bonehead as you say.

It was onced believed that individuals who engage in risky activities were illogical and pathological. However, there has been no evidence to support this proposal and the studies have been inconclusive or contradictory. Even animal behavior contradicts this psychoanalytic theory regarding risk-taking behavior, as animals “have been shown to take risks for social reasons." The underlying theory is that by taking risks that a less able animal would have to avoid they demonstrate the superiority of their genes and become more attractive as a mate” (Llewellyn, 2003).
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

One openly admitted he took it up because he figured it would make a great opening line for meeting women. Yowza! What a bonehead. He only made a couple jumps and then I never saw him again. Must not work.

Nah, if he's using it to impress women, then all he really needs is a couple of jumps. The types that'll be impressed by that are probably exactly the types he wants. And exactly the types who wouldn't really enjoy spending time with someone who actually skydives (rather than one who has skydived a couple of times) because they realize that skydivers aren't going to be around much on the weekends.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There is a stigma that many attach to people who seek mental health services. Particularly males. We are trained from birth to be rough and tough and not show weakness. Asking for help is not the "macho" way to handle things.....The stigma attached to mental health services often prevents a person from seeking out the help they need. I hope that changes one day.

It is changing and this stigma is begining to ebb. However, I believe the problem is trust. There are just so many variables in psychological studies that make it extremely difficult to get answers. I believe many people have a hard time trusting that their prescribed therapy is aplicable to them or even going to work. This lack of trust compounds the problem because if they can't believe in the therapy, it is doubtful it will help them with their issues, specifically behavioral issues not related to severe mental illnesses that require drugs or a more "hands on" approach.

I believe most people think that we are still young in our knowledge of the mind and fear the unknown results of their "personalized" therapy and how it is going to permanently affect them, especially if it somehow involves drugs.

People simply do not trust "shrinks." Almost everytime I see a psychiatrist, or a psychologist, or some type of therapist on tv, there is always someone in the bar shouting "see, their trying to help everyone else, but they can't get their own shit together." Almost everybody in those bars needs help but they don't go because of attitudes like this.

I believe most people think that we are still young in our knowledge of the mind . . .

Well, we are still young in our knowledge of the mind. Sure, we know a lot more than we did even fifty years ago, but I think we've still barely scratched the surface.

Well, we are still young in our knowledge of the mind. Sure, we know a lot more than we did even fifty years ago, but I think we've still barely scratched the surface.

Yes, absolutely....thanks for editing my post. ;)

I believe most people think that we are still young in our knowledge of the mind . . .

I agree. One Psychologist, that I respect a lot said that today is like the dark ages of Psychology. There is a ton we don't know. With new technology this is changing fast.

It is also possible to have a therapist who isn't going to help you much. I think the key is to look until you find the right one.

It's important to have the right expectations when you go to a therapist. It may take a great deal of time to work on your issues. There are few magical quick fixes when dealing with mental illness.

There are many who condemn the idea of therapy because they didn't get much help from it themselves. Maybe they gave up on it too quickly.

I can only speak for myself. Therapy gave me a ton of new insight and the tools to deal with my problems. Did I have closure on all that crap from the past?....hell no!...but I can now cope with it. It's kind of like having a handicap that you learn to deal with.....Steve1

People should try self help prior to dealing with a therapist.

Nobody knows you better than yourself - and it's important people can learn to be objective enough to look within themselves, and use their time to become more conscious of their issues. And naturally be more able to deal with these issues.

It would save a lot of time and money pissing around with some quack who might mean well, but won't have your interests and understanding at heart - like you do.

When self help isn't achieving the aim, then go ahead and see a therapist.

But I'd recommend caution. I know of several people having a few issues with 'therapists.'

One chap eventually managed to prevent himself being committed and discharged from the military, so on issue of a 'certificate of sanity,' framed it, and kept it in his office.:S

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

That's a nice solution for people who are actually self-aware. But given how many people I know who go through life without a clue .... there will always be a need for people who teach them to wake the fuck up. They don't always have to be a "professional" though.

And, it's the second time in two days I get to use one of my favorite movie quotes:

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, that's funny enough I suppose, but really. Do you really know so many clueless people?

I know of a few idiots myself, but they're all 'self-aware.'

I'd perhaps reconsider the people you think are so clueless. How do you know so many? Is it in relation to your social circle or what?

Either way - self help? - it's available to everybody.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Nope, most of them aren't in my social circle because I have very little patience for people who lack self-awareness. :P

So how d'you know so many then?:)

I encounter many people who are outside of my social circle. The ones I actively choose to associate with (as opposed to the vast majority of people that I encounter through various activities, social, professional, practical, or otherwise) are either self-aware or are bludgeoned over the head by me until they get a clue. :DB|

People should try self help prior to dealing with a therapist.

It would save a lot of time and money pissing around with some quack who might mean well, but won't have your interests and understanding at heart - like you do.

When self help isn't achieving the aim, then go ahead and see a therapist.

I agree with this if problems are not too serious or life threatening. I had a really tough time finding the right therapist. Self help books can help a lot.
Many are written by top clinical psychologists. Others are written by people who have found recovery in their life. More may be needed though, depending on what is wrong. Medication may be another vital link.

I would turn to a professional though, if a condition was serious.

One thing I would look for, when looking for a therapist is whether or not that person has experienced any dysfunction in their own life. I mean...who would you want for a basketball coach. Would you want a coach who has never played basketball. I wouldn't. I honestly believe that you don't learn empathy in college or from any book. If you have never experienced a degree of mental illness in your own life, how in the world can you help someone else suffering from that? Sympthy is not enough. You need more understanding than that. I meet weekly with other counselors and psychologists. Some of them don't have much insight. I wonder how they can ever do much in terms of therapy.

I would also look for someone who is there to help you. They shouldn't be working on their own issues in your sessions. Yes, I have met some therapists who are nuttier than fruitcakes and far from totally sane themselves.[:/]....Steve1

Who gives the therapists therapy? Who guards the guards?

Having experience of a clients mental issue doesn't necessarily give the 'therapist' the right to diagnose and provide what they believe to be the correct remedy.

Years ago I had an interest in what I call abnormal psychology, whether it was psychosis or paranioa, it didn't matter. I applied it to the people I knew at the time; the unemployed, criminal drug abusers. These were the people within my social circle. At the time I thought I was quite the clever clogs - it took a while to realise the infinite variables which apply to us all makes this topic something you could dedicate a lifetime to, and still be scratching at the surface.

I think most therapists out there are essentially trying to make ends meet like us all. If they achieve a client gaining a better insight into themselves then great. If they don't - bugger, one less customer.

Who gives the therapists therapy? Who guards the guards?

Having experience of a clients mental issue doesn't necessarily give the 'therapist' the right to diagnose and provide what they believe to be the correct remedy.
reply]
The purpose for a diagnosis is help in deciding what kind of treatment or medication may be needed. It's kind of like a medical Dr. finding out what's wrong before starting his treatment.

The only problem is that the human brain is very complicated. Even the professionals may have trouble coming up with the right diagnosis. So, I am often skeptical of a mental health diagnosis. I see a ton of kids diagnosed as ADHD when they are probably suffering from PTSD. The symptoms are very similiar. But who am I to decide this, I'm just a school counselor, not a psychiatrist.

As far as who gives the therapist therapy...Many have a therapist they go to. Their work is very demanding and it can drain you. Most realize this and they make big efforts to find ways to recharge. I ride my horses, skydive, and spend time with my family.

I subscribe to the, "it takes one to know one" theory in many cases.

I'm laughing b/c I agree, to a mild extent that many therapists also could use a little therapy.

I absolutely love psych & sociology and did extremely well in both majors. But, I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of me diagnosing others. I'm too weird myself.:D:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Earlier you said this Steve;

'The bad part that goes along with this, is that many don't have much understanding of mental illness. There is a stigma that many attach to people who ask for help and receive mental health services. Particularly males have trouble understanding this. We are trained from birth to be rough and tough and not show weakness. Asking for help is not the "macho" way to handle things...."Right?"

I somehow missed it earlier. There is a stigma like you said but it has a purpose in a mad kind of way.
On one end of the spectrum you might have the macho man in denial, refusing to commit himself to therapy. Or the Dying Swan continually in the Shrinks room. I, er, kind of understand the former. My wife has mentioned I should see a therapist several times over the years. Sure, sometimes it's because I'm acting like a 5 year old but I do know she is serious about this.

And I refuse to see anyone. If there is anything slightly wrong with my melon it's fairly insignificant and guess what? I deal with my personal issues myself. If I felt I had a serious problem I would see a shrink but there could be the problem! Am I in denial to something that's more significant than I think it is? :S

I generally think I'm like anyone else. Some days you're happy enough, others you keep wandering into the toolshed eyeing up the chainsaw and anglegrinders....:ph34r::D

I'm laughing b/c I agree, to a mild extent that many therapists also could use a little therapy.

I absolutely love psych & sociology and did extremely well in both majors. But, I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of me diagnosing others. I'm too weird myself.:D:P

Aren't we all? Speaking of weird - I can do a fairly convincing Crocodile Dundee accent, the Aussie bloke right? Anyway, me and the wife are walking along the river on a summers day in Cambridge. People are walking and sitting along the bank. Groups are out punting along the river. I'm explaining to the wife how to fight crocodiles and the inherent dangers associated with this activity in the Aussie accent. Rather loudly. People are staring. My wife is choking between a state of laughter and utter embarressed horror. If I remember rightly, I think she tried to push me in the river when I began shouting to the people on the 'boats' to watch out for the crocs....

I'm pretty sure a psychiatrist was mentioned too.:)

Aren't we all? Speaking of weird - I can do a fairly convincing Crocodile Dundee accent, the Aussie bloke right? Anyway, me and the wife are walking along the river on a summers day in Cambridge. People are walking and sitting along the bank. Groups are out punting along the river. I'm explaining to the wife how to fight crocodiles and the inherent dangers associated with this activity in the Aussie accent. Rather loudly. People are staring. My wife is choking between a state of laughter and utter embarressed horror. If I remember rightly, I think she tried to push me in the river when I began shouting to the people on the 'boats' to watch out for the crocs....

I'm pretty sure a psychiatrist was mentioned too.:)

The crocs are bad and the swans on the Cam can be pretty nasty, too. But the biggest problem if you fall in is having to have your stomach pumped if you are downstream of the sewage outflow just northeast of the boathouses.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I would say skydiving attracts thrill junkies. I am a thrill junkie.

Thrill junkies last about a half year if that. I'd put them in a different category than skydivers that do it for the sport rather than the stunt.

Some take up swooping or use skydiving to train for BASE jumping and wingsuit BASE.

Everyone knows we're all mentally disturbed; to varying extents, no matter what jobs or activities we pursue.:)

Agreed. One of my favorite retorts: Everybody has their nuerosis. No exceptions. If someone appears perfectly adjusted, you just do not know them well enough.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley