airkid

iraq... wanna hear what they don't tell you?

By summer 2007, Ramadi had gone weeks without significant conflict or attacks, and has become a functioning capital of Al Anbar again. It is considered the most prominent success story of the counterinsurgency campaign to date.

read the whole story here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadi living it was a lil different....

oh and read this first...http://www.fumento.com/military/ramadi.html

and pay attention to

Terrorist-infested Ramadi in the wild west of Iraq is for U.S. troops the meanest place in the country, "the graveyard of the Americans" as graffiti around town boast.

By summer 2007, Ramadi had gone weeks without significant conflict or attacks, and has become a functioning capital of Al Anbar again. It is considered the most prominent success story of the counterinsurgency campaign to date.

read the whole story here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadi living it was a lil different....

and pay attention to

Terrorist-infested Ramadi in the wild west of Iraq is for U.S. troops the meanest place in the country, "the graveyard of the Americans" as graffiti around town boast.

That Fumento piece was awesome. That is my unit that was in Ramadi, and where I got blown up. Pretty amazing as to what Ramadi has apparently become since then. The Wikipedia piece is a little off the mark in some details.

That place was crazy when I was there. Fumento's piece was spot on when I first read it a year ago.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

and pay attention to

Nice post, and shame on me for getting too wrapped up with daily life to forget the 101st. I served in 1/501st. Wish I could be there with you. Can't run very fast, but I can still shoot. Get home safely.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

well i am not in the 101 or whatever... but i am in the only marine unit that has been in ramadi twice.... once in 05 and now... and this time i was responsible for the iraqi security forces in ramadi and i feel that i have played a pivotal role in changing this city... because at one time it was the most dangerous place in the world (google: most dangerous place) and now it is a model for iraqi reconstruction... and because of such a drastic change in this city we have taken a huge step towards ending this war.

Every time we rolled on a mission, we had Marines with us. If I remember correctly, 3-6 and 1-7 were around during the time I was there.

I remember talking on the radio with OP Horea from time to time from OP Hotel. ;)

Make light!

well i am not in the 101 or whatever... but i am in the only marine unit that has been in ramadi twice.... once in 05 and now... and this time i was responsible for the iraqi security forces in ramadi and i feel that i have played a pivotal role in changing this city... because at one time it was the most dangerous place in the world (google: most dangerous place) and now it is a model for iraqi reconstruction... and because of such a drastic change in this city we have taken a huge step towards ending this war.

Great news!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Well, OK. You still come home safely. Nice work.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I didn't even bother reading the thread about something the only source is Wikipedia... If you can bring some reliable source I will but not like that...

WTF? Wiki entries have biblio references, and if not there is usually a warning at the top. Go to those sources, and then make a decision. Why would a newspaper or magazine article be any more reliable? It's a heck of a lot easier to check the references of a Wiki entry than is to do it for a newspaper article.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I didn't even bother reading the thread about something the only source is Wikipedia... If you can bring some reliable source I will but not like that...

How about listen to some of the posters above you here. They have been there. I would listen to them.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I didn't even bother reading the thread about something the only source is Wikipedia

Wikipedia is not a source. Each topic's content must come from a collection of other sources otherwise it's usually marked as not conforming to standards.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

How about listen to some of the posters above you here. They have been there. I would listen to them.

Obviously, you are unaware that those that have been there, are considered to have drunk the cool-aid, according to SC standards... :S
Make light!

So we got some Ramadi vets in this thread eh?? Well I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring with you guys. Ramadi Sep 2005-April 2006, 3rd Battallion 7th Regiment(No Shit!). That article was pretty well written. I hear Ramadi is a much safer place now than when I was there. Its good to hear. That city took too many good kids lives...
Someday Never Comes

because at one time it was the most dangerous place in the world (google: most dangerous place) and now it is a model for iraqi reconstruction... and because of such a drastic change in this city we have taken a huge step towards ending this war.

So long as the social problems remain, you can't force people to be nice to each other. At best you quiet them down as long as the troops are stationed there. Yugoslavia survived a long time in such a state, but when the Soviets pulled back, it fell apart in short order.

well than i guess there are two marine battalions to have been to ramadi... because three seven is here again... and what the hell is up with painting the water tower? not the one in the city but the one in j/c says "NO SHIT!" really big on it... that's gay... but we were there in 04-05 and now i like to say that we ended the war here....

because at one time it was the most dangerous place in the world (google: most dangerous place) and now it is a model for iraqi reconstruction... and because of such a drastic change in this city we have taken a huge step towards ending this war.

So long as the social problems remain, you can't force people to be nice to each other. At best you quiet them down as long as the troops are stationed there. Yugoslavia survived a long time in such a state, but when the Soviets pulled back, it fell apart in short order.

I agree with your assessment, but when were the Soviets in Yugoslavia?
Tito held it together with an iron fist, yet was not in good terms with Moscow if I recall correctly...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."