SkyPiggie

Movie: "The Brave One"

So, the new movie "The Brave One" came out this weekend, featuring Jodie Foster using a gun to defend herself from thugs, and eventually, to hunt down and get revenge on those who attacked her. It reminded me of the old Charles Bronson "Death Wish" movies.

In the end, will the detective investigating the shootings catch her and arrest her for murder, or will he let her go free?

In this interview, she made the following quote:
"I don't believe that any gun should be in the hand of a thinking, feeling, breathing human being. Americans are by nature filled with rage-slash-fear."
- Jodie Foster
Is Jodie a hypocrite for making millions of dollars off of a movie featuring a gun being used to in self defense, while at the same time saying publicly that people shouldn't be allowed to own guns?

Given that this quote was published before the movie started playing, I was surprised that there wasn't an obvious anti-gun climax to the movie.

The end of the movie surprized me as well, but I don't think it's possible to come away from that movie thinking that guns are the answer. It's clearly an anti-gun message, perhaps a bit too sublte for some and those people may even see it as being pro-gun, but when you look at what her character becomes I don't see how.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Typical Hollywood hypocrisy. The majority of them hate guns and deride them but they do not mind the money they make off of them at the movies.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Typical Hollywood hypocrisy. The majority of them hate guns and deride them but they do not mind the money they make off of them at the movies.

Have you seen the film? Somehow, reading your post I get the distict feeling you haven't.
quade -

No I haven't. I have no desire to see it. Not a big Jodie Foster fan. I just find it ironic that the anti-gunners in Hollywood have no problem making a profit off of guns. Where are their morals?
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

No I haven't. I have no desire to see it. Not a big Jodie Foster fan. I just find it ironic that the anti-gunners in Hollywood have no problem making a profit off of guns. Where are their morals?

Well, without getting into a bizarre discussion about what morals are to begin with, let me just say that people should probably see, read or hear about things before commenting too strongly about them.

The movie has a pretty good "moral" to it.
quade -

I just find it ironic that the anti-gunners in Hollywood have no problem making a profit off of guns. Where are their morals?

You make it sound like Hollywood is a single political entity. It's not.

While the politics of most of the powerful people in that industry is decidedly left, their primary motivation is making profitable movies. That's the bottom line.

If Hollywood, as a single entity, actively lobbied of anti-gun causes, I could see your point. But i don't think that's the case.

>Is Jodie a hypocrite for making millions of dollars off of a movie
>featuring a gun being used to in self defense, while at the same time
>saying publicly that people shouldn't be allowed to own guns?

No more so than Schwartzenegger is a hypocrite for pushing law and order while playing a lawless killer robot in the movies. Why? Because they are ACTORS. An actor is someone who pretends to be someone else. Good actors can seem like completely different people when they are in front of a camera.

In other words, Arnold really doesn't push killer robots for future law enforcement, and Foster doesn't really think you should kill everyone you don't like with a handgun.

. . . and Foster doesn't really think you should kill everyone you don't like with a handgun.

Not even in the movie in question.

See, that's the thing about this movie, people are talking about it as if they know what it's about without even seeing it.
quade -

Fixed it...

"I don't believe that any gun should be in the hand of a thinking, feeling, breathing human being. Unless, of course, that person happens to be working security at the Academy Awards. Or, if I should hire that individual for personal security. Or, unless I feel threatened and come to the conclusion that my own personal safety requires ownership of a firearm, which is certainly an altogether different situation because obviously I am an educated, intelligent person who is fully aware of the seriousness of firearms ownership. Americans are by nature filled with rage-slash-fear. Americans--the average, lowly Americans--are certainly not capable of handling such a responsibility with all of their ignorance, hate, fear and anger."
- Jodie Foster

FallRate

You didn't "fix" anything.

You simply put words on a page based on your own opinion of the situation.

BTW, my guess is that Foster might have a very good reason for her opinions based on her personal life experiences. She has, after all been stalked by a crazy person that tried to assassinate the President of the United States.

Do you really think you have any idea what being stalked by that amount of insanity is like?
quade -

And what do you think that is?

That being scared tends to make people want to buy guns, but by doing so, it can give them a false sense of security that changes them.

John, perhaps you should see the movie.

You might not agree with my summation of it, but I'd really would be interested in your thoughts on the actual film itself.
quade -

Is Jodie a hypocrite for making millions of dollars off of a movie featuring a gun being used to in self defense, while at the same time saying publicly that people shouldn't be allowed to own guns?

No more so than Schwartzenegger is a hypocrite for pushing law and order while playing a lawless killer robot in the movies.

LOL

More hyperbole, bill?

It would be a tendon popping stretch to say Schwartzenegger is a hypocrite for pushing law and order ten years after while playing a lawless killer robot.

On the other hand, Foster is politicising the issue as she's cashing her vigilante film paycheck.

What next?... you gonna tell us about shipping stuff through northern Canada?

>On the other hand, Foster is politicising the issue as she's cashing her
>vigilante film paycheck.

It would indeed pop some tendons to claim that an actress must act out only parts that agree with her morals. It might suggest a misunderstanding of what "acting" means.

You didn't "fix" anything.

You simply put words on a page based on your own opinion of the situation.

I suspect his rewrite is very close to the actual opinions of many in Hollywood. And definitely very close the read that many of us have about activist actors. Surprisingly, based on their much publicized actions in real life as well.....

But, we don't hire them for their brains, rather their ability to act sometimes, and/or their relative attractiveness on obscenely large viewing screens, most of the time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Is Jodie a hypocrite for making millions of dollars off of a movie
>featuring a gun being used to in self defense, while at the same time
>saying publicly that people shouldn't be allowed to own guns?

No more so than Schwartzenegger is a hypocrite for pushing law and order while playing a lawless killer robot in the movies. Why? Because they are ACTORS. An actor is someone who pretends to be someone else. Good actors can seem like completely different people when they are in front of a camera.

Arnold played the bad guy in a science fiction series. (and the time paradoxes in the second one were almost too ridiculous to accept). It's a pretty far reach to compare the two.

If Charles Bronson joined Brady, people would rightly mock him for the hypocrisy. Most of Hollywood is somewhere in the middle.

Her prior movie, Panic Room, was one that cried for having weapons for self defense. It's amusing how many of the drama/slasher films show victims running for their lives for the entire movie, helpless till the end when they finally pick up a gun and use it.

I am now going to have to go see this movie and see what I think. I carry a gun in some situations and it does not give me a sense of security but it does make me feel prepared for a situation should it occur.

I am now going to have to go see this movie and see what I think. I carry a gun in some situations and it does not give me a sense of security but it does make me feel prepared for a situation should it occur.

I'd like to carry a gun. Sometimes the TV and the light switch are so far away. It would just be nice to shoot them out so I can stay reclined.

And installing Clappers everywhere gets a bit confusing.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Reminds me of the nut-job Rosie O'Donnell. She is anti-gun...but not so anti-gun that her bodyguards can't carry a gun. That is the type of hypocrisy I am referring too.

I'd like to carry a gun. Sometimes the TV and the light switch are so far away. It would just be nice to shoot them out so I can stay reclined.

Just program your clapper to recognize gun shots and your problems will be solved.

>On the other hand, Foster is politicising the issue as she's cashing her vigilante film paycheck.

It would indeed pop some tendons to claim that an actress must act out only parts that agree with her morals. It might suggest a misunderstanding of what "acting" means.

Of course, no one is saying that. :P:S:$

BTW, my guess is that Foster might have a very good reason for her opinions based on her personal life experiences. She has, after all been stalked by a crazy person that tried to assassinate the President of the United States.

Well then, despite all her education, she's still an idiot if she thinks that the capability of owning guns responsibly for an entire nation should be determined based upon the acts of just one crazy person.

That being scared tends to make people want to buy guns, but by doing so, it can give them a false sense of security that changes them.

So does buying a burglar alarm, installing window locks, adding outside motion-sensor lighting, or putting a big dog in the backyard. So what? Trying to prevent bad things from happening to you is a good thing. Being prepared for trouble is a good thing.

Does that change you? Well yes, it gives you some confidence that you can face threats that come your way, rather than just being a helpless victim. Just like having a reserve parachute makes you confident you can survive a parachute malfunction. Those are good things too.

Does buying a fire extinguisher for the home make you more careless with kitchen fires? No. Does wearing a seat belt while driving make you more careless while driving? No. Does wearing a gun make you more reckless in avoiding trouble? No.

Just don't presume that multitudes of gun owners morph into the Jodie Foster character from this movie, that go out looking for trouble just so they can shoot bad guys. That's pure Hollywood fiction.

Just don't presume that multitudes of gun owners morph into the Jodie Foster character from this movie, that go out looking for trouble just so they can shoot bad guys.

And again, this is where I kind of have to step in and say SEE THE MOVIE before you make statements like this.

The character doesn't do this in any conscious way, at least not to begin with. It's actually quite compelling and without SEEING it you're missing a good portion of what I'm talking about in this thread.
quade -