Tonto

Bipods

Hi All,

I've only ever used Harris bipods.

My dealer can't get them in. (Im in Africa, remember..)

He can get me a Redfield. I'm familiar with Redfield optics, but not their bipods. Anyone know if they are any good? I'm thinking Harris or nothing at the moment.

It'll go under a LH AA 400S Classic / 6 - 24 x 56

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Cost of courier is prohibitive, + garenteed 100% import duty + 14% VAT. The 9 - 13 L goes for $84. Landed here it would cost around $240, and that's too expensive for me..

If it's sent US mail it may dodge the duty, but can't be insured, and it simply doesn't get here.

What I'll probably do is have it shipped to a friend in the US and then have them bring it with them when they visit, or I'll pick it up when I'm there.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I had a Harris bipod for years on a 243. It didn't swivel like some of the newer models, and it was hard on uneven ground to get your verticle crosshairs straight up and down. I didn't really like the springs either, but all in all it wasn't a bad bipod.

I like the shorter bipod. I don't like the bigger models. I just don't like attaching something that big onto my hunting rifles. I often carry two sticks, fastened together with elastic for that type of shot. It's a pain to carry around. Often times I shove these sticks in a back pocket, or someplace else handy. I lose them from time to time, but they really do help, when it comes time for a steady shot.

So then I bought a square 1 bipod that swivels on uneven ground. It swiveled left and right too. I did some work on it to fix it so it wouldn't swivel left and right. I didn't like that. It works okay, but it's a little too big in my opinion.

Then I bought one of the new Harris bipods that swivel on uneven ground. I love it. I wish I would have bought one to start with, and skipped the Square 1 model. You can pick these up on e-bay (new). Hopefully they will ship to South Africa.

Another idea, that I often use for still hunting (white tails) is to take a longer stick or dowel, about four and a half feet long. Rip it down the middle on a table saw. Put a bolt about four inches from the top with a nut. I tie a string so it won't open too wide. If I hunch over I have a steady shot above the tall grass or brush. If I kneel I can rest on the side of it. This is bench rest steady. This is a pain to pack around. I use it kind of like a walking stick. With a flick of the wrist I can have it set up to make a shot. I does take a while to get used to though. I don't use one for most types of hunting. Good luck!.....Steve1

Stick with the Harris...

Between the lot of us, I'm sure we can figure out a way to get you one. Jeez.

Of course I'm no friggin help...anyone know a Jarhead at the Embassy in Johannesburg? (or is it in Cape Town?)
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member