ryoder

TX to execute man they know wasn't the killer

It doesn't matter if you drove the guy around so he could go and kill another. The death penalty is for the person who actually commited the act!

You cannot be vague on whether the other people involved should be exexcuted or not. Yes there are laws that punishes people involved and there should be. But to put everyone involved up for the death penalty will create too many problems.

God, this country is so fucking kill happy it is embarassing.
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

I guess that's the Reader's Digest version of the facts but that they are summarized as "hard to call" is my point. You don't execute someone for "hard to call".

A Jury of 12 heard the evidence (Much more than speculation and Biased articles referenced here) and decided that it wasn’t really hard to call.

The real problem is we coddle and try to justify people that do Bad things instead of removing them from the gene pool.
There are BAD people out there that Do BAD things.. Like drive around looking for people to Rob at Gun Point. Want to live in a better world?? Get rid of these people.

I guess that's the Reader's Digest version of the facts but that they are summarized as "hard to call" is my point. You don't execute someone for "hard to call".

A Jury of 12 heard the evidence (Much more than speculation and Biased articles referenced here) and decided that it wasn’t really hard to call.

The law of parties is the problem. The case doesn't have to be made that he was a murderer, just that he should have anticipated the murder and is therefore held accountable for the murder to the same degree as the killer. I think that's a low bar to set. Is it the law? Yes. Is that law f'd up? IMO Yes.

The real problem is we coddle and try to justify people that do Bad things instead of removing them from the gene pool.
There are BAD people out there that Do BAD things.. Like drive around looking for people to Rob at Gun Point. Want to live in a better world?? Get rid of these people.

I agree that people should be held accountable. Illegally starting wars and torturing is high up on my list of bad things. But I think that execution of everyone involved would be excessive.

As for the guy that drove his Buddies around all night so that could Rob and eventually Kill People.. Good Riddance.

So, next time a friend of yours downs a few beers with you, drives home and gets busted for a DUI or kills someone, then you'll have no problem going to jail and sharing a manslaughter charge with him?

What shit for an analogy!!:D:D Ya, this compares to driving a group of robbers around:D:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, because our current death penalty system works so well. Look at how much it deters:S. I am so surprised we still have murders in this country!

And secondly, no one has any right to decide on someone's life, whether it is good or bad. And that goes for the death penalty.
-----------------
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

I agree that people should be held accountable.

In this case, That is being done. Hopefully others will realize that in Texas, It is a Bad idea to drive your buddies around to commit armed robberies. If someone gest killed, You can face the death penalty just for driving.

Illegally starting wars and torturing is high up on my list of bad things. But I think that execution of everyone involved would be excessive.

Not me. People illegally starting wars should be dealt with harshly and with extreme prejudice.
I think Saddam was hanged was he not??

A Bad Man, That did Bad Things. And Justice was served. It is very sad that we are still paying such a high price in so many ways for that justice.

But please, Lets keep this thread on topic and discuss this case, There are plenty of threads on Iraq for you to Bush Bash on.

the story that Brown claims, it's full of "I wanted to", "I tried to", etc

fact, they were robbing people
fact, they tailed someone for miles
fact, one of them got out and killed a guy

hard to call

but in that state, you do for accomplis (how the hell do I spell that word) to murder

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, because our current death penalty system works so well. Look at how much it deters

I guarantee you that every person that has been eliminated by the death penalty will NEVER commit another crime.
While I also guarantee that MOST that we release from a maximun security prison will commit more violent crimes.

And secondly, no one has any right to decide on someone's life, whether it is good or bad

Since this nation was founded, That has not been true. The death penalty has been around off and on since the beginning.

And you are correct that no ONE person can make that decision. It takes a Jury of 12, A Judge and then almost endless appeals.

I agree that people should be held accountable. Illegally starting wars and torturing is high up on my list of bad things. But I think that execution of everyone involved would be excessive.

Delete that last sentence and you could teach physics at the college level.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Look at how much it deters:S.

The death penalty is a punishment, not a deterrent.

Uh yes it is. It is both.

Kill the criminal and he won't do it again. That certainly deters him.

And you are correct that no ONE person can make that decision. It takes a Jury of 12, A Judge and then almost endless appeals.

Then why spend so much money to have appeals? If we got rid of the death penalty, then we would not have these massive amounts of appeal costs.

And for the people that are going to say "we should get rid of the appeals and just go straight to execution". It is unconstitutional to not have appeals.
-----------------
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

Kill the criminal and he won't do it again. That certainly deters him.

How many people do we need to have exonerated by DNA evidence after spending years in prison, to make people understand that the criminal justice system is just a poker game between lawyers and does not reach conclusions accurate enough to make non-reversible sentences. And then there are cases like Rolando Cruz, (google it).

And then there was the case of a man railroaded into a death sentence, who was saved by a film-maker: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096257/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Guys, there's not point in making this a pro-anti death penalty conversation without missing the point here.

Regardless whyhe was driving them around, a rider in his car got out, shot someone and then got back in. It didn't have anything to do with robberies, the guy got out and got into an altercation with someone's boyfriend. If you want to keep him in jail for being an accessory to robbery, then that's OK. But from what everone is quoting, this had nothing to do with the robberies.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Whether they planned to kill or not is not relevant. They were conducting Armed Robbery. The possibility that people will get shot is extremely real.

When someone drives while wasted, the possibility that they will kill someone is very real, whether they plan to or not. Yet you never hear of them being subject to capital punishment. In this instance, I'm thinking manslaughter might be a more appropriate charge and the death penalty seems inappropriately harsh.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What should the charge be if people go into a bank to Rob it and they kill someone while doing it?? Arent they all guilty of Murder? I think so. Not just the one that pulled the trigger.

This is the same thing here only it was Random people they were Robbing at Gun Point.

The Article "Claims" the shooting was not robbery related..
They Followed the car for Miles.. (Sounds to me like they were planning on another Robbery no matter what they say)
The Gunman gets out (Just like the other robberies).
The Gunman Shoots someone this time.
These are the facts. Everything else is he said, She Said.

The Jury that heard all the evidence seems to agree with this assessment.

Kill someone while committing a Violent Crime in MANY States and you face the death penalty.
IN Texas, All Parties involved (Not just the Gunman) Face the death penalty. That is the law. I am Glad to see they are going to do what they say they are going to do. The Law is useless if it is not enforced.

When you go out to commit robberies, you are responsible for the fact that injury or death may result to your victims, and anyone participating in the crimes, even as a get-away driver, is equally guilty.

Fry the bastard.

We could have use guys like you on Libby's jury, or better yet, the Iran/Contra investigation!!!! Guilt through association! Fuck 'em all!!!!
I'll remember this the next time you try to defend.....oh......anyone.

He was not saying guilt by asociation. If the guy was willingly participating in a crime, it is fair that he be held accountable for however far the crime may go. I think that law makes sense. If I am crazier than you, you will not want to commit a crime with me because I may go too far and you will be screwed. If you won't come with me, then I will not have backup and may not have the guts to commit the crime in the first place. The law may seem archaic but it does appear to have a logic to it. It has tremendous deterrent effect.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

As for the guy that drove his Buddies around all night so that could Rob and eventually Kill People.. Good Riddance.

So, next time a friend of yours downs a few beers with you, drives home and gets busted for a DUI or kills someone, then you'll have no problem going to jail and sharing a manslaughter charge with him?

If you took part in the DUI then sure but otherwise no. Having beer with him does not make you party to the DUI and since beer in itself is not a crime, you are not an accomplice
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty, but that article portrays the man as an innocent victim, which is clearly not the case. If you drive around helping your friends rob people at gunpoint, you don't get to claim surprise and innocence when your friends shoot somebody. As the saying goes, "If you ride with outlaws, you hang with outlaws."
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.