SkyPiggie

Houston: Anglos are now a minority

Compare that to Detroit, an area not seeing much immigration at all. Which city is doing better by most standards?

Never been there, so it's hard for me to speak towards it. I find LA undesirable. Sure you can survive in it, just like you can pack a boatload of rats into a cage, but life should be more than survival. And if they don't start working on desalination capacity soon, I think it's going to get ugly there.

>Sure you can survive in it, just like you can pack a boatload of rats
>into a cage, but life should be more than survival.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in both places, I think LA is a better place to live than Detroit. I happen to prefer San Diego to both, even though in places the hispanic population down here is even higher than LA.

>And if they don't start working on desalination capacity soon, I think it's
>going to get ugly there.

I agree that desalination is one of the key technologies to keeping LA growth going. It's pretty straightforward; San Diego is putting in a 50 million gallon/day desalinator this summer.

You seem to start an awful lot of threads that are basically thinly-veiled bashes against other races/ethnic groups. Pretty icky use of a nice website, IMO.

There is no race-bashing in my messages, "thinly-veiled", or otherwise.

The stories are just reporting facts which are topical in our world today.

The stories originate from the news media - so does that make the news media organizations racist too?

Should we not talk about the fact that blacks commit murder at a rate 3.5 times higher than whites? Should we not talk about terrorism? Maybe it would be best if we just swept these issues under the rug?

Recent threads I've started:

- Houston: Anglos are now a minority
- Blacks: Half of all murder victims
- Another Lying Liberal Journalist: The Baghdad Diarist
- "A War We Just Might Win"
- "Plot Would Have Killed Thousands"
- The Taliban are in Oakland, California
- Obama Favors Genocide
- Valerie Plame vs. George Bush: Plame Loses
- Germany discriminates against Tom Cruise?
- Muslim Congressman: "Bush is like Hitler"

Recent thread in which YOU have participated:

- Houston: Anglos are now a minority
- University installs foot-baths for Muslim students
- Abstinence education and its effectiveness
- Ah Yes. Our Responsible House of Reps
- Cheney Taking Presidential Powers
- The Court Has Decided
- American Flag misuse
- Libby Spared
- Tom Delay is still Innocent

You seem to have a fascination with political divisions. Oh, you are so icky!

"Germans?" I can hear people say. "That's silly! They're white, and they have no problems learning our language and customs!" We will say the same of hispanics in 50 years."

...Bill, I didn't think they were getting that much lighter, that quickly, really...
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

> I think that is over complicating things. . . .

. . . and making up sort of silly divisions. Hispanics are white.

This happens with some frequency. In 1751 Benjamin Franklin wrote this:

"Why should the palatine Boors be suffered to swarm into our settlements and, by herding together, establish their language and manners to the exclusion of ours? . . . Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to [alienate] us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion?"

Was he talking about hispanics? Blacks? Asians? Nope, he was talking about germans.

UH..Bill? are you trying to be "PC"???

First: you are right..hispanics are white,"of spain" OUR problem is Mestizos which are improperly named hispanics, they are descendant of cannaballistic Incas. Somehow we gave hispanic the meaning of "speaks spanish" Many spanish people are offended by the mexicans being called hispanic.

Second: are you sure he was speaking of Germans?
THESE ARE direct qoutes of Benjamin Franklin and should not be taken as my views. This might bring a little more CLARITY to your qoute. They also could be related to our menace today.

Ready folks? The unadulterated Benjamin Franklin:

"I fully agree with General Washington, that we must protect this young nation from an insidious influence and impenetration. The menace, gentlemen, is the Jews. In whatever country Jews have settled in any great numbers, they have lowered its moral tone; depreciated its commercial integrity; have segregated themselves and have not been assimilated; have sneered at and tried to undermine the Christian religion upon which that nation is founded by objecting to its restrictions; have built up a state within a state; and when opposed have tried to strangle that country to death financially, as in the case of Spain and Portugal.

"For over 1700 years the Jews have been bewailing their sad fate in that they have been exiled from their homeland, they call Palestine. But, Gentlemen, should the world today give it to them in fee simple, they would at once find some cogent reason for not returning. Why? Because they are vampires, and vampires do not live on vampires. They cannot live only among themselves. They must subsist on Christians and other people not of their race.

"If you do not exclude them from these United States, in this Constitution in less than 200 years they will have swarmed in such great numbers that they will dominate and devour the land, and change our form of government, for which we Americans have shed our blood, given our lives, our substance and jeopardized our liberty.

"If you do not exclude them, in less than 200 years our descendants will be working in the fields to furnish them sustenance, while they will be in the counting houses rubbing their hands. I warn you, Gentlemen, if you do not exclude the Jews for all time, your children will curse you in your graves. Jews, Gentlemen, are Asiatics; let them be born where they will, or how many generations they are away from Asia, they will never be otherwise. Their ideas do not conform to an American's, and will not even though they live among us ten generations. A leopard cannot change its spots.

"Jews are Asiatics, they are a menace to this country if permitted entrance and should be excluded by this Constitution."

>Second: are you sure he was speaking of Germans?

Yes. He was quite clear and referred to them several times by name.

>I fully agree with General Washington, that we must protect this young
> nation from an insidious influence and impenetration. The menace,
> gentlemen, is the Jews. . . .If you do not exclude them, in less than 200
> years our descendants will be working in the fields to furnish them
> sustenance.

Why, he was right! Here it is, over 200 years later, and all us gentiles are slave labor for the greedy jews. I know I've spent the past 13 hours toiling in the fields to provide them with grapes!

Needless to say, modern predictions about the hispanics taking over should be taken as seriously as Franklin's predictions that the jews will turn us all into farm hands.

well, considering that Ol Benny wasn't a psycic and they WERE NOT even mining then..i guess the only labor was farming...you with me??? So ofcourse Benny isnt saying they will own the stock exchange and a stronger bank then Bank of England (jew owned) the federal reserve (Rothschilds money known to be main cotrol) by wiating till the good Christians were going to to their family on Dec 23, 1913, and somehow pass with not even a complete quorum. that you will beworkin in refineries. mines, steel mills, assembly lines, 10x10 office cubicles, while AIPAC is the most powerul lobby in Congress and "Israel" gets a third of our foreign aid which equals over 5 bill a year..no old Ben he way way off... damn if im a "farmer" :P

THESE ARE direct qoutes of Benjamin Franklin and should not be taken as my views. This might bring a little more CLARITY to your qoute. They also could be related to our menace today.

Ready folks? The unadulterated Benjamin Franklin: (fixed:P

"I fully agree with General Washington, that we must protect this young nation from an insidious influence and impenetration. The menace, gentlemen, is the Jews. In whatever country Jews have settled in any great numbers, they have lowered its moral tone; depreciated its commercial integrity; have segregated themselves and have not been assimilated; have sneered at and tried to undermine the Christian religion upon which that nation is founded by objecting to its restrictions; have built up a state within a state; and when opposed have tried to strangle that country to death financially, as in the case of Spain and Portugal.

"For over 1700 years the Jews have been bewailing their sad fate in that they have been exiled from their homeland, they call Palestine. But, Gentlemen, should the world today give it to them in fee simple, they would at once find some cogent reason for not returning. Why? Because they are vampires, and vampires do not live on vampires. They cannot live only among themselves. They must subsist on Christians and other people not of their race.

"If you do not exclude them from these United States, in this Constitution in less than 200 years they will have swarmed in such great numbers that they will dominate and devour the land, and change our form of government, for which we Americans have shed our blood, given our lives, our substance and jeopardized our liberty.

"If you do not exclude them, in less than 200 years our descendants will be working in the fields to furnish them sustenance, while they will be in the counting houses rubbing their hands. I warn you, Gentlemen, if you do not exclude the Jews for all time, your children will curse you in your graves. Jews, Gentlemen, are Asiatics; let them be born where they will, or how many generations they are away from Asia, they will never be otherwise. Their ideas do not conform to an American's, and will not even though they live among us ten generations. A leopard cannot change its spots.

"Jews are Asiatics, they are a menace to this country if permitted entrance and should be excluded by this Constitution."

Complete bullshit. This hoax began circulating during the 1950s & is on the same level as The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. There is no known evidence that Franklin was anti-semitic.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for pointing that out. It seemed completely out of character for Ben Franklin.

This hoax has been debunked pretty thoroughly, but comes back every few years. Historians have pointed out that not only is there no evidence that Franklin ever said anything like this, the phrasing is not even written in 18th century style.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

News:

***Hispanics exceed Anglos in Harris County

In a powerful sign of the region's growing diversity, more Hispanics than Anglos now live in Harris County as it led the nation in growth of minority residents, according to Census Bureau estimates to be released today.

Once they're the majority, can't we stop celebrating "diversity"? :S
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

It's a cyclic thing. Goes hand in hand with global warming. A couple of hundred years ago, there were more Hispanics than WASPs in Texas. All 20 of them. Then nature went on its cycle, and is now reversing it. No worries. Give it some time, it will self-correct.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Instead, everyone caters to them in their own language, such as spanish language newspapers, radio and TV stations, bi-lingual signs and restaurant menus, bilingual school classes, even spanish billboards. They have no motivation to assimilate, because we're making it easy for them not to have to.

And how is that different? Ever been to Little Saigon (there's now more than the one in Garden Grove)? We have newspapers available in every language on the planet - freedom of the press is good.

When I'm in foreign countries (esp Asia), I'm happy to see an English menu, or at least something with pictures.

I believe the financial motivations are strong enough that Hispanic immigrants will be pushing their children, if not themselves, to learn English and as Bill suggests, the problem will fade away. If, otoh, states like CA and Texas become majority Hispanic, there could be a drive towards dual language which would not be so beneficial to the nation. Or instead we may find ourselfs in a legal version of apartheid where the majority population enjoys a very small portion of the wealth.

This isn't an isolated 'Little Saigon'. Hispanics have made a much greater impact on our country than Viet Namese. There is a big push here in Texas toward dual language... Spanish/English. Especially in our schools. I see, more and more, just in the 'Help Wanted' section of our newspapers where "Ability to speak Spanish, preferred." Public notices in our newspapers are in both languages and so-on. More and more Spanish language radio and television. Is that, helping folks to assimilate? I have to agree with JR, we are in fact 'catering' to them. I was in Detroit, a year or so ago, on business. Detroit has a large Arab and Polish population. While surfing the t.v. channels in my hotel room, I didn't see one Arab or Polish channel but, they do have Tele Mundo! Go figure!

Chuck

You're arguing against a force of nature. By that I mean that if Spanish-speakers become numerous enough in the US to drive these shifts, then by definition they (the shifts) are a natural occurence.

Nowhere in the US Constitution is it written that the language spoken by the English colonists 300 years ago must be the sole official language of the nation or its society in perpetuity. The Framers could have put that in the Constitution. But they didn't. If people want an English-only society, let them propose a Constitutional amendment to that effect, and let them do the legwork to get it passed. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, they can talk to the hand - in any language they choose.

You're arguing against a force of nature. By that I mean that if Spanish-speakers become numerous enough in the US to drive these shifts, then by definition they (the shifts) are a natural occurence.

Nowhere in the US Constitution is it written that the language spoken by the English colonists 300 years ago must be the sole official language of the nation or its society in perpetuity. The Framers could have put that in the Constitution. But they didn't. If people want an English-only society, let them propose a Constitutional amendment to that effect, and let them do the legwork to get it passed. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, they can talk to the hand - in any language they choose.

That's just the way it worked-out. Without any amendments, English 'just' became our language. Now, because of, an un-natural, breaking of our laws by a large group of people, we should just buckle under and learn their anguage? Now, all of a sudden we need a constitutional amendment? I don't think so. I don't know about you but, I was raised to speak English as was every other person I knew or kid I went to school with.

Chuck

>Now, because of, an un-natural, breaking of our laws by a large group of
>people, we should just buckle under and learn their language?

Not if you don't want to. Speak whatever you like!

>Now, all of a sudden we need a constitutional amendment? I don't think
>so.

I don't think so either. If people want to speak english, let em. If they want to speak spanish, or japanese, or french, or they want to have masses in latin, or they want to sing in gaelic - go right ahead.

>I don't know about you but, I was raised to speak English as was every
>other person I knew or kid I went to school with.

I was raised to speak both english and french. Nowadays I can barely understand what the french 4-way team is talking about, but I'm glad I learned more than one language. I think kids _should_ learn at least two languages - but I also think it's up to their parents, not the government.

>Now, because of, an un-natural, breaking of our laws by a large group of
>people, we should just buckle under and learn their language?

Not if you don't want to. Speak whatever you like!

>Now, all of a sudden we need a constitutional amendment? I don't think
>so.

I don't think so either. If people want to speak english, let em. If they want to speak spanish, or japanese, or french, or they want to have masses in latin, or they want to sing in gaelic - go right ahead.

>I don't know about you but, I was raised to speak English as was every
>other person I knew or kid I went to school with.

I was raised to speak both english and french. Nowadays I can barely understand what the french 4-way team is talking about, but I'm glad I learned more than one language. I think kids _should_ learn at least two languages - but I also think it's up to their parents, not the government.

...and I agree with you. If people speak another language within their family or 'community'... fine. What I have a hard time with is, going into a store to buy something and need the help of an 'associate', who I cannot understand and they can't understand me and it's frustrating to both of us. I just feel, for 'general public' use, folks should be able to speak and understand English. I think it's great and probably very helpful for all young folks to learn another language as long as they have a grasp of English and live in the U.S. Like you, I grew-up learning French and German and any more, I couldn't begin to speak either!:D

Chuck