warpedskydiver

US sinks North Korean Ship

http://www.securenet.bc.ca/NewsCentral/News%20Library/News%20Releases/nl072307.htm

On July 12, the second intercepted North Korean freighter was sunk in the Arabian Sea by torpedoes fired from a US submarine 100 miles southeast of the Iranian naval base-port of Chah Bahar. Delivery of its freight of enriched weapons-grade uranium and equipment and engines for manufacturing more fissile material including plutonium in its hold could have jump-forwarded Iran's nuclear bomb and warhead project, lopping off at least a year of work. For this Iran's rulers were ready to reportedly pay out a cool $500 million.

A few hours earlier, President Bush received an intelligence briefing on the vessel, its freight and destination. Apparently the shipment was brought forward by several weeks to evade detection by UN nuclear inspectors scheduled to visit Pyongyang this week to verify the dismantling of its nuclear facilities.

US airplanes had been tracking the freighter and picked up signs of radioactivity, indicating the presence of nuclear materials aboard.

President Bush had the option of ordering US Marines to board the vessel or to sink it. He decided on the latter - both because the North Korean freighter was approaching an area patrolled by Iranian naval units and seizure of the vessel by American marines might have provoked a clash; secondly, it was the better choice in order to avoid exposing US troops to radioactive contamination. American naval and air units in the Persian Gulf, Middle East and seas opposite North Korea were ordered to go on a high state of readiness and the torpedo the North Korean vessel was accomplished without delay.

After the attack, US warships raced to the spot where the ship went down where they picked up three lifeboats. Most of the North Korean sailors aboard were either injured or dead. Twenty in all died in the attack. They all bore symptoms of contamination. After the episode, the area was cordoned off and underwater equipment dropped to salvage the cargo from the sunken ship.

All the parties to the incident, the United States, North Korea and Iran, have kept the incident under wraps as the situation in and around the Gulf is inflammable enough to explode into a full-blown Iranian-US clash at the slightest provocation.

There was also the danger that North Korea might decide at the last moment to abort the closure of its nuclear facilities.

President Bush had the option of ordering US Marines to board the vessel or to sink it. He decided on the latter - both because the North Korean freighter was approaching an area patrolled by Iranian naval units and seizure of the vessel by American marines might have provoked a clash; secondly, it was the better choice in order to avoid exposing US troops to radioactive contamination. American naval and air units in the Persian Gulf, Middle East and seas opposite North Korea were ordered to go on a high state of readiness and the torpedo the North Korean vessel was accomplished without delay.

Good stuff...

If true, this would probably the second sound decision of Bush's two terms in office. This, and enacting the "do-not-call" list will be the "points of light" of his legacy as president.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I would say that the capture and ultimate execution of a sadistic, murderous, and powerful dictator is also a point of light for all freedom loving people.

Thanks for posting this link. We fucking rock.

B|

You mean the only guy who had Iraq under any semblance of control in the last few decades? The guy who ran the country we had no right to invade? Yeah, good call. :|
cavete terrae.

I would say that the capture and ultimate execution of a sadistic, murderous, and powerful dictator is also a point of light for all freedom loving people.

B|

You mean the only guy who had Iraq under any semblance of control in the last few decades? The guy who ran the country we had no right to invade? Yeah, good call. :|
Kinda sounds like a certain persons(s) here in the Good Ole USA
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

B|

Thanks for the laugh. :)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Personally, I think the whole thing is bogus.

My reasons:

1) No way would anybody (not even the evil Americans) risk releasing dangerous amounts of fissile material into the Arabian Sea.

2) Capturing the ship(s) intact would be a major intelligence and infowar coup for the US.

3) No corroboration from other sources.

4) The North Koreans would scream bloody murder about how a shipment of innocent medical supplies was attacked by Yankee Pirates in international waters.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The guy who ran the country we had no right to invade?

Wrong.

It can be argued that it wasn't worth invading Iraq.

To say we had no right to invade is absolutely not true.

SH did not comply with the terms of the agreement that ended the '91 war. SH didn't even negotiate the terms of that agreement, they were imposed upon him because he lost the war. Sanctions were imposed upon Iraq shortly after the war to persuade SH to comply, but only resulted in great suffering of the general population.

I think we should have either attacked Iraq again to impose the terms of the agreement, or just admit that we weren't going to hold SH to it at all. Which would you choose?

Back to this thread's subject - I don't think it happened.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A MK48 torpedo would cause the hold to fill rapidly with water, strange coincidence indeed.

I found the original article on another website, but if in fact this did happen we might not ever hear the truth about it for many reasons.

We should not ever have to conduct VBSS on a vessel which is giving off high levels of radiation.

We owe it to our troops to not expose them just to grandstand with our find.

1) No way would anybody (not even the evil Americans) risk releasing dangerous amounts of fissile material into the Arabian Sea.

Why not? It's not hazardous in deep water. And it can be salvaged after the sinking.

I think the story is made up, but this isn't a reason why.

I've seen what an mk 48 ADCAP can do. It will not put a hole in the ship, it would split it in two. give me time to find a video. It may not be public yet.

<>

Okay, this is the best I can come up with. keep in mind that this is a warship made of much tougher steel and designed to take hits from enemy ships. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vaImLvZbPw

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

PS I know how they work.

They create a large void under the ship so that the keel breaks.

Snaps them like a green beanB|

Correct. It's actually one part of several things that happens, but in the end, there's a very high risk of putting a considerable amount of radioactive matter into the air thus poisioning allies and enemies alike (depending on the winds).

That report smells like a mission scripted by a single person rather than something normally thought up by several people with multitude of specialties and experiences. I can only read one train of thought when the description of the mission is described. My Bullshit-dar is on.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

B|

Yea, you know, the guy we put in power.........;) We could have roll'd Iraq at any time, now all his problems are ours.[:/]

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

A MK48 torpedo would cause the hold to fill rapidly with water, strange coincidence indeed.

I found the original article on another website, but if in fact this did happen we might not ever hear the truth about it for many reasons.

We should not ever have to conduct VBSS on a vessel which is giving off high levels of radiation.

We owe it to our troops to not expose them just to grandstand with our find.

No need to use a Mk 48 when you can dial up Seal Team whatever and ask that the ship please not reach its destination.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher