jojo69

fear of clouds

>but wouldn't tracking inside a cloud be a bad idea?

Perhaps - but not tracking away from a group would be worse.

>1. No horizontal movement in freefall while in a cloud.
>2. Do not deploy inside a cloud unless you are at the hard-deck.
>3. If under canopy inside a cloud, do a gentle right-hand spiral down
>until you in clear air again.

Hmm. So if, through poor planning, you end up in a cloud that extends from 5000 to 1500 feet, you would:

-stay still
-not track at breakoff
-deploy a few feet from each other
-start turning immediately?

This seems like a bad plan.

I'd recommend following exactly the same plan you had before you hit the cloud. Why? Because a) the other people on the dive then know what's going on, b) the next group knows what to expect and c) all that safety stuff (like getting separation before deploying) still applies.

Let's take the case of a 4-way. 4-way exits at 12,500 feet and hits a cloud at 5000 feet. They can stop turning points if they are worried about losing each other. If they're experienced enough to not lose each other (i.e. not accidentally drift 20 feet apart) that's not much of an issue, so they can stop or continue as they choose.

At breakoff, they all look at the center, then turn 180 from the center, track and deploy. It's even more important than ever to track straight, since you can't see anything.

After opening, spend the first ten seconds flying straight away from the center (as best you can tell.) Most canopies open more-or-less on heading, and you can feel and correct minor turns. Of course if you get a 270 off-header you aren't going to able to accurately figure out how to turn back.

After that, you probably want to do gentle spirals so you don't head off in some random direction. Keep your eyes and ears open, and yelll a lot. Other jumpers may be able to detect your direction/distance from the sound of your voice.

We broke through before we hit break-off altitude, but it made me think about what if we hadn't? My thoughts have led me to the following:

On the way up you should be checking the altitude of the clouds base to do your best to avoid this problem. Otherwise you got to bite the bullet and take your best shot at separation as bill says.

I personally would change the plan to separate above, or let the group go without me, if I saw this concern on the ascent.

> What's it liking going through a cloud? Do you get drenched?

If there's rain in it - yes. Ordinarily it's just a bit damp.

It's a bit damp & musty; but it's home.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Just a general question not specifically related to jumping through clouds.
If you find yourself on a direct collision course with another canopy, say just after opening, or as a result of flying through clouds, or whatever - is there a universally accepted direction to turn to avoid? I thought it was right but someone told me it's left.

...I thought it was right but someone told me it's left.

You are correct...IF you are approaching each other directly head-on. Otherwise, simply turn away.

Please go tell that "someone" to turn right, NOT left.

freakin' Brits...driving on the wrong side of the road and all...
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I was allways taught to turn hard right. I have my hands on my rear risers during deployment for that very reason. I don't want to be screwing with toggles if I need to move fast, I am going to go risers to save precious time.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

the fact that there is an FAR that specifically states that skydivers aren't supposed to jump through clouds.

um, what part of that don't you people get?
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

might be regs against it but what a rush it would be to do so. i imagine you would get sort of a ground rush sense before you punch the cloud.

While very dangerous, it was quite amazing to emerge from a thick layer of clouds from 7K to about 3K and suddenly be able to see the ground right at pulltime. I wouldn't do it again though. And I mean that.

the fact that there is an FAR that specifically states that skydivers aren't supposed to jump through clouds.

um, what part of that don't you people get?

This regulation only applies in the USA and even there skydivers can find themselves inadvertantly falling towards a cloud thorugh the vagaries of winds aloft & the dynamics of clouds.