DZJ

Two car bombs in London

This isn't small dog bite man stuff, maybe if you lived in the UK you'd feel differently. As for the original Tony legacy jibe, it was just that but seeing as you decided to bite I thought I'd crank. Next time maybe we can get a nice big tongue in cheek icon so you understand. Theres more goes on here than is reported a a viable device is more than can be said for either of the IED's (I use the term loosely) that were left in London.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

From the Strategy Page:

Al Qaeda is having some success in the Western media, and among Moslems living in Europe. But those expatriate Moslems are handicapped by many of their brethren who are not enthusiastic about Islamic terrorism. The police get tips, make arrests, and al Qaeda losses a few more true believers. Al Qaeda is desperate for another highly visible attack in the West. Many such operations are apparently being planned, but by amateurs who can get no help from al Qaeda experts. Most of al Qaeda's traveling experts are dead or in prison. Inspiring amateurs to attempt poorly planned attacks, like the recent ones in Britain, only discourage recruits. That's because another bunch of wannabes get sent away for long prison terms. This is a fate worse than death for Islamic terrorists. There are no 72 virgins in Western prisons, unless you consider the fact that you may be turned into one.
--------------------------------------------------
Failure in London
July 2, 2007: Last weeks failed attacks in London not only underscore the fact that al Qaeda has taken a lot of hits since 9/11, but also the fact that a better intelligence effort is still needed. The failed attacks did not fail due to good intelligence, but mostly due to luck. In this case, the bombs were in place, and the attack failed only due to vigilance on the site by local cops.

The mechanisms were very primitive – the bombs involved a mix of gasoline, propane, and nails. In essence, these were a jury-rigged combination of incendiary and fragmentation bombs. These crude bombs could have caused a lot of damage and casualties. But the items used are also commonly purchased in a number of Western countries to fuel cars, fuel barbeques, and to carry out home improvement projects. The cars are also plentiful.

One other thing to note is that this terrorist cell was able to implement its plan without being discovered. This was pretty good operational security – an illustration of the danger created by reveling details of intelligence programs in the media. These abortive attacks also show just how hard it is to defend against an enemy that shows ingenuity in how to build bombs and conduct attacks.

The fact remains that when terrorists get to this point, they have an advantage. In essence, they get to pick the time and place they will attack. Police cannot cover every possible target. Often, such things can be a guessing game. Knowing the style of operation a terrorist group helps – but there is an inherent problem. The inherently reactive doctrine of domestic law enforcement means they have to get lucky every time. The terrorists just need to get lucky once – and their luck will result in people getting killed or injured.

So, what sort of lessons can be learned from this failed attack? First, local cops are the last line of defense against a successful attack. The other lesson is that intelligence leaks can hurt. In these failed attacks, the attack was actually attempted, unlike the attempted airliner bombings last year, which was broken up at an earlier stage – due to assistance from the NSA. Finally, there is the fact that terrorist groups are looking to attack with whatever means are available – and state sponsors of terror can provide greater means to terrorists than the terrorists can get on their own.

Ultimately, these abortive car bombings show that terrorism – and terrorists – are still out there. The ongoing battle between terrorists and those who are out to stop them will continue for a long time. – Harold C. Hutchison ([email protected])
----------------------------------

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

This isn't small dog bite man stuff

Sorry most of it is. I saw one letter bomb left in a garden, one pipe bomb, one small bomb found on a road some arson & all the attacks were foiled except the arson.

maybe if you lived in the UK you'd feel differently.

If I lived in NI it would be newsworthy to me, but your complaint is not that it isn't being reported there, it's that people ELSEWHERE don't find it newsworthy. My impression is that people know that the Real IRA & similar groups are trying to disrupt the peace process. Perhaps if they didn't it would merit more headlines until they did.

As for the trolling, if you are to be believed, you might want to read the forum rules.

I find it interesting that this type of attack hasn't already occurred in the US.
I have very limited experience with Brits so perhaps one of the locals could comment, but it seems to me like minorities, particularly Muslims, are marginalized and persecuted more often in GB vs. the US, leading to an environment conducive to extremist beliefs. Am I totally off-base here?

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

It depends where you live to a degree. We're a small group of islands and are stupidly overcrowded. Although I don't think Muslims are persecuted more than any other ethno-religious group I do feel that the media use the Islamic terrorist bogeyman to justify lazy stories which often have very little substance. Unfortunatly we've had a government for the last ten years that had a symbiotic relationship with the media which turned nasty. Hopefully now we have a new Primeminister things might get a bit more rational although I think it won't take long for the media to turn against him because of it.
Britain can be a very racist country but it can also be one of the most liberal places to live in the world.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

And how much would you like to wager that when arrests are made relating to the case, at least one of the suspects will have the first name "Mohammed"?

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.

mh

Well , Mark it looks like three Muhammeds so far.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

And how much would you like to wager that when arrests are made relating to the case, at least one of the suspects will have the first name "Mohammed"?

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.

mh

Well , Mark it looks like three Muhammeds so far.

Maybe we can get a betting pool going for the next incident.

Say there are five arrests in a terror case. Each of us can place a wager on the number of Mohammeds in the group.:D:SB|

Any takers?

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."