chriseidan

downsizing after big weight loss 65 lbs

so i have lost 65 pounds and was wondering about your opinion on downsizing, was jumping a 210 spectre loaded at 1.3 that i have jumped for the last 150 jumps could i go down to a similar wing loading on same type canopy now after my weight loss or is this not a good idea? being a pretty docile 7 cell my thought was that this would be okay but would like to hear different opinions cheers

chriseidan

so i have lost 65 pounds and was wondering about your opinion on downsizing, was jumping a 210 spectre loaded at 1.3 that i have jumped for the last 150 jumps could i go down to a similar wing loading on same type canopy now after my weight loss

No. While you probably won't spend 100-200+ jumps a size you still want to spend time at each intermediate size (190, 170, etc.) practicing survival skills like low turns, cross/don-wind landings, etc.

or is this not a good idea? being a pretty docile 7 cell my thought was that this would be okay but would like to hear different opinions cheers

Canopy response to control input is largely a function of size so making incremental steps towards your target size still makes sense.

The example is that no matter what the wing loading anything 150 sq. ft. or smaller is considered a high performance canopy. It took a while for some instructors and others to realize this in the 80's and 90's. The simple explanation is they are twitchier. Part of the technical explanation is that the smaller canopy with the shorter lines is a shorter pendulum with a higher frequency for a amplitude. Mass (wing loading) doesn't matter. Wing loading effects other things.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

chriseidan

so i have lost 65 pounds and was wondering about your opinion on downsizing, was jumping a 210 spectre loaded at 1.3 that i have jumped for the last 150 jumps could i go down to a similar wing loading on same type canopy now after my weight loss or is this not a good idea? being a pretty docile 7 cell my thought was that this would be okay but would like to hear different opinions cheers

I am very lightly loaded and I almost never think, "I need a smaller canopy". I know not everyone is the same. It it is not on my list of things that I need to do. Maybe when I wear this one out, I will go a bit smaller.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

chriseidan

so i have lost 65 pounds and was wondering about your opinion on downsizing, was jumping a 210 spectre loaded at 1.3 that i have jumped f

running some numbers I estimate you used to weigh 273 and now weigh 208. 1.3 wingloading would be a 160. Pretty sporty for 300 jumps. Would you be interested in a 170 or bigger?