kallend

Military spending 2006

And who are you with when Israel carpets a neighbouring nation with anti personell cluster bomblets

you mean the same neighbouring nation from which a commando unit crossed the border and kidnapped 2 israeli soldiers, or is it the one which from hundreds of rockets were launched right into israeli towns and cities?
I call it war. and a just one if the other side attacked you unprovoked.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Nope, normal civilian villages. The Israeli's simply didn't want any Lebanese civilians to live near the border, solution, cluster bombs. And if a few thousand men women and children happen to get killed and maimed when they return to find their villages a riddled with mines then hey, who's going to cry over a little spilt milk.

that's BS.
Hizbollah was (and always has) firing from within houses.
one of the Israeli inteligence top successes was pinpointing exactly in which house hezbollah was storing their "big long range" missiles and the airforce took them out right at the begining (sadly hundreds of other rockets were launched too).
hiding behind civilians is a nice tactic, your enemy thinks twice before shooting and if they do they are automatically condemmed as war criminals (even though the geneva convention clearly states that combating forces have to be clearly marked by uniform and cannot operated from within civilian population).
O

(even though the geneva convention clearly states that combating forces have to be clearly marked by uniform and cannot operated from within civilian population).

That is just SOOO 20th century:S

I guess that explains why AQ does the same things...they're not up to the 20th century standards yet?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Reply To

(even though the geneva convention clearly states that combating forces have to be clearly marked by uniform and cannot operated from within civilian population).

That is just SOOO 20th century

I guess that explains why AQ does the same things...they're not up to the 20th century standards yet?

I think they have adopted 21st century standards while the rest of the world is still operating under 20th century's standards

O

How do you mean?

the "rules of war" were written in a time were wars were fought between two nations and two armies and where every rocket had a return address.
if you look at recent conflicts, AQ doesn't have a clear return address, terrorists operate from within civilian areas and often hurt their own civilians even more than the "targeted" enemy.
the old "rules" of seperating military and civilians are simply not applicable

O

>Do you think Taiwan can stand up to China?

Do you think Iran can stand up to Israel?
Do you think the freedom loving people of Kurdistan can stand up to Turkey and Iraq?

When will you push for the US to defend Iran and Kurdistan? Or do we only defend those people who like us?

There is no nation of Kurdistan.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nope, normal civilian villages. The Israeli's simply didn't want any Lebanese civilians to live near the border, solution, cluster bombs. And if a few thousand men women and children happen to get killed and maimed when they return to find their villages a riddled with mines then hey, who's going to cry over a little spilt milk.

that's BS.
Hizbollah was (and always has) firing from within houses.
one of the Israeli inteligence top successes was pinpointing exactly in which house hezbollah was storing their "big long range" missiles and the airforce took them out right at the begining (sadly hundreds of other rockets were launched too).
hiding behind civilians is a nice tactic, your enemy thinks twice before shooting and if they do they are automatically condemmed as war criminals (even though the geneva convention clearly states that combating forces have to be clearly marked by uniform and cannot operated from within civilian population).
O

""What's shocking and completely immoral is: 90% of the cluster bomb strikes occurred in the last 72 hours of the conflict, when we knew there would be a resolution," he said."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5299938.stm

from Eisenhower's farewell address in 1961:

IV
A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peace time, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea. Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United State corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence-economic, political, even spiritual-is felt in every city, every state house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>There is no nation of Kurdistan.

Literally true, but there is now a de facto Kurdistan. It has it's own Prime Minister, it's own flag, it's own border checkpoints and it's own language. Iraqis must have a passport to be able to visit Kurdistan.