dorbie

How can a school expect to get away with this?

I dunno about the racial comments, this sort of crap happens out here where we don't have black kids. None.
However, for reasons of respect, this sort of cheering has been curtailed. Rich white kids have all their friends, grandparents, both sets of parents (majority are of divorced households) and whomever else. They show up with party poppers, banners, and airhorns. Not only can people around them not hear what is being said, but it also sets up a social imbalance. Rich, popular kids get 2-3 mins of cheering while not so popular kids get nothing or next to nothing. The graduates all achieved the same damn thing; why should anyone get any more (or less) recognition from the crowd? Black, brown, or green?

exactly, why not treat everyone equally and be respectful of all others?

I'm in agreement with you. Where I'm in disagreement is the intimation that it's black kids/parents causing the disruption.
It has happened in our schools, which are predominantly Hispanic and Native American, but it's the wealthy white folks making the most noise.
Not suggesting white folks are worse; I'm suggesting that it's an across-the-board issue with multiple levels of meaning an demeaning.
While I think this particular school handled the situation poorly, hopefully it sent a message that will urge parents to behave appropriately during future ceremonies.

The graduates all achieved the same damn thing; why should anyone get any more (or less) recognition from the crowd? Black, brown, or green?

Maybe because it's SUPPOSED to be "equal opportunity" and not "equal outcome"?

The people making the noise were asshats regardless of race/affiliation.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I also did not hear a peep out of that crowd for our daughter who received the presidential academic excellence award.

I vaguely remember graduating 8th grade, and that about 3/4 of the graduating class received the presidential academic excellence award. By the end of the ceremony I think everyone was tired of hearing it.

My high school graduating class was 657 people, and all I remember about that (besides the ceremony being dreadfully boring) were the two goofs who, rather than actually taking more AP classes to get as much college credit as possible (my high school offered just about every AP class under the sun, I took 10 of them myself) they retook the classes they got Bs in to get an A so that they could be Valedictorian.

I didn't go to my undergraduate or graduate school ceremonies.

we were only handed a Blank piece of paper when we walked across the stage. The actual diplomas were mailed about a week later. We were told that diplomas would not be sent to those that pulled any stunts or pranks.

They did that at both the Sr. High schools in town the year I graduated. 1100-some at our school and 700-some for the East side school...that's a LOT of plans interrupted, dammit!!!

:D:D:D
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sup. Got a kid? So how about I (hypothetically of course...I'm not an idiot) come to its graduation and cheer like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Timberlake concert. Just for the hell of it or perhaps because I'm not particularly fond of you/your kid. Ten bucks says you'd reconsider your little "crime and punishment" speech.

Great school btw. I love how they take it upon themselves to teach these bad parents/friends some values...:S
Edited to say: sure there's some assholes with rockets and a fucking brassband. There will always be idiots. This is the dumbest way ever to cope with them.

I also did not hear a peep out of that crowd for our daughter who received the presidential academic excellence award.

I vaguely remember graduating 8th grade, and that about 3/4 of the graduating class received the presidential academic excellence award. By the end of the ceremony I think everyone was tired of hearing it.

My high school graduating class was 657 people, and all I remember about that (besides the ceremony being dreadfully boring) were the two goofs who, rather than actually taking more AP classes to get as much college credit as possible (my high school offered just about every AP class under the sun, I took 10 of them myself) they retook the classes they got Bs in to get an A so that they could be Valedictorian.

I didn't go to my undergraduate or graduate school ceremonies.

Just this week there was an item on NPR about a school eliminating the position of valedictorian for exactly this reason - kids (or in actuality, their parents) increasingly playing tactical games with class selection and level selection in order to manipulate GPA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I especially took note of the 14year old mom graduating that day from the sixth grade.

Oh man, that is fucking sad.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

come to its graduation and cheer like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Timberlake concert

That is NOT what happened here according to the article.

THIS Issue was parents and friends Cheering after they were asked not too. The schools are finally taking a stand on this.

Yes, This can be abused in the future but that does not appear to be the case here.

In fact the article goes on to say that all the school wanted was an apology but the parents refused and are threatening legal action. Great Fuckin Parents is more like it. Lets teach our kids hey we can break the rules, disrespect the other graduates and if the school does what they told us they would do, We just call in the lawyers.
Pretty typical example of what is really wrong with this Country.

And YES, I do have a Child. She will graduating in just a couple years. I couldn’t give a rats ass about a Fancy piece of paper. It is just a symbol. What matters is what that paper represents. No one is taking that from these kids. Just the silly piece of paper that parent like so much to frame and put on their wall or mantle. Like I said, With 10 minutes, MS Publisher and a cheap printer you can have all the Diploma’s you want.

Great example these moron administrators are providing. The kids did not cheer, it's their diploma, there is only one way this is going to end. These administrators should be punished not apologized to. How dare these dumbfucks withhold a student's diploma because of the actions of someone else.

Great example these moron administrators are providing. The kids did not cheer, it's their diploma, there is only one way this is going to end. These administrators should be punished not apologized to. How dare these dumbfucks withhold a student's diploma because of the actions of someone else.

This is like griping that it's the concert venue's fault that you got thrown out for taking pictures, when the tickets and signs at the door said "No cameras". You agreed to their conditions when you went into the venue.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This is like griping that it's the concert venue's fault that you got thrown out for taking pictures, when the tickets and signs at the door said "No cameras". You agreed to their conditions when you went into the venue.

Not the same thing. If I bring a camera into a concert I get kicked out, not someone else. I agree with enforcing the rules but how many people have had their parents do embarrassing things when they were growing up? I'm sure that when the parents were screeching and cheering, the kid was probably thinking "shut the fuck up mom...this is embarrassing". To add insult to injury, the school now penalises the kid for what he wished his parents wouldn't do. Kick the parents out, don't penalise the kid.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Great example these moron administrators are providing.

Lets see.. they said "Here are the rules"
The Rules were Broken.
They did what they said they would do in that case.

Give them a MedaL They took a stand.

This isnt about the kids. It is about the RUDE parents. They are pissed because they broke the rules and didnt get thier Prize. Boo Fuckin Hoo!

the High School Diploma (The piece of Paper) is not for the Kids, It is for the Parents.

the parents broke the rules, The parents dont get a Piece of Paper to frame.

The Kids learn a lesson, When the Rules are laid out, Follow them or work to get them changed. Dont break them and then expect to get your way.

And what a HARSH punishement. No piece of Paper for you.:S:S[:/]

The kids Graduated. They have their transcripts. Nothing is being withheld from the Kids. The Rude Parents that couldnt follow the rules and were disrespectful to the other graduates dont get the Paper to Frame.

I still think my Sniper with Rubber Bullets Idea would be better but at least now parents may realize.. Oh Shit, They mean that.

I don't disagree - but I'm not blaming the administrators, either.

The parents fucked up and they SHOULD apologize for disrupting the ceremony. The parents actions caused a consequence that directly affected their child.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I still think my Sniper with Rubber Bullets Idea would be better but at least now parents may realize.. Oh Shit, They mean that.

Nah... paint balls... embarass them as badly as they embarassed their kids, having to walk out with day-glo chartreuse splotches all over them.... :)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The Rules were Broken.

Who broke the rules?

Who got punished?

It's really simple, this cannot stand up in court.

Anyone who thinks this is remotely fair needs to reset their compass.

the High School Diploma (The piece of Paper) is not for the Kids, It is for the Parents.

So in US you basically won't need this diploma anywhere, and only suppose to use your transcripts, is that correct? And it's fine to put it directly to shredder as soon as you receive it, if I (the parent) have no intention to frame it or keep it?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

So in US you basically won't need this diploma anywhere, and only suppose to use your transcripts, is that correct?

To the best of knowledge, that is true.
I know that mt HS Diploma (and that of both my siblings) has been sitting on Moms Mantle in a frame since the day we got them (almost 20 years ago for me). never once has that paper left that mantle that I know of.

And it's fine to put it directly to shredder as soon as you receive it, if I (the parent) have no intention to frame it or keep it?

Absolutely. It is just another piece of Paper.

The Rules were Broken.

Who broke the rules?

Who got punished?

It's really simple, this cannot stand up in court.

Anyone who thinks this is remotely fair needs to reset their compass.

The time to protest it was well BEFORE the graduation ceremony. By attending the ceremony, they implied consent to the school policy.

These kids are having to pay the consequence of their parents' fuckwittery. Is that fair? No - but it's the PARENT'S fault for acting like fuckwits, not the school for enforcing a policy that the students and parents both agreed to by attending the ceremony.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706