TypicalFish

Religion: Why do you care?

I am always FASCINATED by the way any faith based discussion in SC always seems to end up:

Aetheists: You're all sheep if you believe in God with no proof.
Non-Aethesists: That's why it's called faith.

I am ALL for intellectual discourse for its own merit, but it always seems to go WAY beyond that. The question I am asking is; why do YOU care what others believe? Isn't that their business, just as your own personal beliefs are your own?

Just curious. Discuss. :)
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

I am always FASCINATED by the way any faith based discussion in SC always seems to end up:

I am ALL for intellectual discourse for its own merit, but it always seems to go WAY beyond that. The question I am asking is; why do YOU care what others believe? Isn't that their business, just as your own personal beliefs are your own?

I have a problem with those who call themselves 'Christian' yet don't follow the words of their bible.

I have a problem with those who want creationism taught in schools and evolution removed.

Other than those, I don't really care what they think or what they believe in.

The only reasons I care are when somebody tries to make me behave according to their views or they are taking advantage of somebody else.

As long as a person keeps to themselves and doesn't interfere with me or other people, they can believe anything they want.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

As long as a person keeps to themselves and doesn't interfere with me or other people, they can believe anything they want.

I totally agree. Don't try to tell me that there was a huge explosion in the middle of nowhere that caused everything to operate like clockwork.

why do YOU care what others believe?

I don’t.
The one thing that does agitate me is when others criticize my religion when it is so obvious that their fait has the same things they are criticizing in my faith.

Isn't that their business, just as your own personal beliefs are your own?

Yes it is.
I don't think anything is worst then passing judgment on others. We all live our life the way we choose, and faith or no faith is a very personal decision.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Perhaps because there are the two extremes:
a-the world came together in a big bang that began all life, and evolution has brought us here.
b-A deity built the earth in 6 days complete with all life forms.

Those that accept exclusively "a" or "b" are people that cannot have a rational dialog with those accept exclusively "b" or "a."

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth, IMO. However, until both parties can acknowledge that, we cannot begin to have a rational discussion.
Therefore, the discussion becomes irrational.
Couple that with the fact that we currently live in a theocracy and the US is pretty f$@#! up as a result, it tends to polarize individuals.

I personally care for two reasons:

1 - A lot of 'God-botherers' (as my Grandmother used to call over-enthusiastic christians) feel it's their duty to save\convert\enlighten the rest of us.

This interrupts my life. If it didn't, I wouldn't care.

2 - Many people are dying every day (Palestine is the first example that comes to mind) which might not be as bad if people hadn't based so much of their lives on their Religion (both sides, in this example).

This makes me feel sad, angry, helpless, frustrated. Feelings I wish I didn't feel as much whenever I read the news. Therefore I care what some people believe, because it sometimes affects me, and many others negatively.

I have a problem with those who call themselves 'Christian' yet don't follow the words of their bible.

I have a problem with those who want creationism taught in schools and evolution removed.

So you're indifferent on the gay marriage, abortion, prayer in school, or separation of church and state?

I totally agree. Don't try to tell me that there was a huge explosion in the middle of nowhere that caused everything to operate like clockwork.

That's fine with me.

I also won't try to tell you that lightening hit a rock millions of years ago and a bacteria appeared.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So you're indifferent on the gay marriage, abortion, prayer in school, or separation of church and state?

Gay marriage? Why not? Why should straights be the only ones who suffer?

Abortion? I don't have a uterus, so I don't have a dog in that fight.

Prayer in school? Well, the Supreme Court already shot that down.

Separation of Church & State? That was written into the constitution. You may have been around back then but I wasn't born yet.

Care to divulge what your views are on these?

>a-the world came together in a big bang that began all life, and evolution has brought us here.
>b-A deity built the earth in 6 days complete with all life forms.

>Somewhere in the middle lies the truth, IMO.

One is a religious belief, the other is a n (incorrect) description of a scientific approach to things. There is no "middle" - they are different areas of study. It's like saying:

a - Joe is a carbon based organism whose phenotype is based on expression of the DNA he inherited from his parents, and modified by the environment he was raised in.

b - Joe is a devout catholic.

Is the 'truth' between those two extremes, such that neither one is 100% true?

Why did you single out Christians?

What about a Jew who doesn't follow the Torah....
A muslim who doesn't follow the Koran.....
A Buddist who doesn't follow the teachings of Budda...
A Hindu who doesn't follow......

.....and ad infinitum.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

The only reasons I care are when somebody tries to make me behave according to their views or they are taking advantage of somebody else.

What he said.

The only reasons I care are when somebody tries to make me behave according to their views

I'm guessing that if you think the universe operates like clockwork, that you probably haven't studied it much.

I totally agree with your first post. I'm even on the "No thanks, I'm not desiring any religion today" side of the coin.

Your next post shows you REALLY meant that you want people who disagree with you to leave you alone but you still want to pick at THEM.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you have to care - many of those rabid Christians, esp the Mormons, spend a lot of effort to make sure gays of any faith can't marry. They try to keep up from booze and sex. Then you have some whack job Muslums warring against us.

In other countries, the religious folks have had to worry about sanctions/death from the fervent atheist dictatorships, esp in the communist regimes.

The question I am asking is; why do YOU care what others believe? Isn't that their business, just as your own personal beliefs are your own?

Because if you look through the history, you will see that those guys have NEVER been able to keep it only as their own business.
They always tried to make it everyone's business.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Don't try to tell me that there was a huge explosion in the middle of nowhere that caused everything to operate like clockwork.

So you prefer to think there was something else in the middle of nowhere that created that powerful Higher Intelligence, who was capable to create the universe operating like clockwork?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

The question I am asking is; why do YOU care what others believe? Isn't that their business, just as your own personal beliefs are your own?

Because if you look through the history, you will see that those guys have NEVER been able to keep it only as their own business.
They always tried to make it everyone's business.

Like what the atheists do now, you mean?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Like what the atheists do now, you mean?

When was the last time an atheist told you what to do in the bedroom, or what books you can't read, or which area's of science you aren't allowed to learn about, or what day of the week you can't go to work?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?