Mike111

Boozing Britain

Fair? (must admit the name is quite funny!!!!):ph34r:

Film warns about binge drinking

The film is designed to make young people think before binge drinking
A group of teenagers in Dorset have made a film to warn others about the dangers of binge drinking.
The short movie will be shown to school children in Weymouth in the hope they will respond to seeing people their own age discuss the issue.

The youngsters involved in producing the piece all had first-hand experience of the consequences of excess drinking.

Mark Foy, one of the actors, said he hoped the film would help teenagers think before they drink too much.

Mako Harriott, also in the film, told BBC News: "Everyone's going to try drink at some point, but it's just stupid some of the stuff you can get yourself into under the influence of alcohol."

Christine McIntyre, producer, said: "It's very powerful, it's just a great way to actually get kids involved and get them addressing issues.

"They very often don't even realise they've addressed it, they've just done it through taking part."

Excessive drinking by young people led to a 20% rise in hospital admissions in England over the last five years, according to a BBC investigation last year.

Quite funny in some respects to see most countries view us Brits as bunhc of drunken boozers, yet disappionting our other cultural heritage and antional treasures we possess./

But ever since Caesar said we drank too much, i guess we aint changed.

Fair?

I have to say it's fair. I grew up there and left for Colorado when I was 20. When I go back ALL my friends and family do is go to the pub or crack open a tin at home. When they come visit me here my friends here can't keep up with their alcohol tolerance. Fraid to say that the Brits drink a lot....whether it is too much is a different issue. ;)

Fair? Yes, I'm afraid I think so. I grew up in South Africa and moved to the UK 6 years ago, and two differences have been apparent to me since; There's always a pub nearby ... or three, and drinking usually seems to be a rush to get your evening's worth before the closing time (although this doesn't apply everywhere anymore I believe).

- Citizen of the World -

Something I notice paticularly is in Europe people will happily go out and have dinner really late in the evening with a few beers and its a social thing. In the UK, you have your dinner, then off down the pub for the evening with your mates with the sole purpose of drinking. Not surprising really!