watchdog2

Bases on the moon?

Ya know, that would be a smart thing to do...just in case like a huge meteor was heading this way. Would the goverment tell anyone, no!! It would cause mass hysteria...

SO yeah..secret bases...gotta be going on right now....

HEY!! What about all the probes we sent to Mars years ago that suddenly stopped working??

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Didn't you see the teaser trailer for the transformers movie? the mars probes didnt crash, they were killed by giant robots! :o

Damn it Tomas! You're ruining everything!

No one is supposed to know about the secret moon bases we're building to protect us from the giant robots that destroyed Climate Orbiter and Global Surveyor.

/edited to add: just watched the Transformers preview, haha. That's hilarious.

[Singing...]

"Why does Michael Bay... Get to keep on making movies?"

>No one is supposed to know about the secret moon bases we're building
>to protect us from the giant robots that destroyed Climate Orbiter and
>Global Surveyor.

Curses! Now they will discover that all the money that the UN has been embezzling from the food-for-oil program is going to fund the Transformer that is secretly causing our planet to warm up, thus supporting their minions (the democrats, environmentalists and filthy commies) here on earth while simultaneously embarrassing the GOP! It's all coming apart! Aaaahhh!

Ya know, that would be a smart thing to do...just in case like a huge meteor was heading this way. Would the goverment tell anyone, no!! It would cause mass hysteria...

SO yeah..secret bases...gotta be going on right now....

HEY!! What about all the probes we sent to Mars years ago that suddenly stopped working??

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

The US might be wanting to beat the Chinese to THIS STUFF>;) Helium-3 (He-3) is an isotope of Helium with two protons and one neutron, which is rare on Earth; it is sought after for use in nuclear fusion research. More abundant helium-3 is thought to exist on the Moon (embedded in the upper layer of regolith by the solar wind over billions of years) and the solar system's gas giants (left over from the original solar nebula), although still in low quantities (28 ppm of lunar regolith is helium-4 and 0.01 ppm is helium-3).[1] It is proposed to be used as a second-generation fusion power source
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I don't know about the relevance of moon bases but the US government has openly stated that they wish to control space and that space belongs to them and is rightfully theirs.

Bwahahahah.

"All your base are belong to us."

You're getting funnier by the post.

I don't know about the relevance of moon bases but the US government has openly stated that they wish to control space and that space belongs to them and is rightfully theirs.

It's remarkably difficult to stake a claim to something in the absence of matter. Just look at how otherwise questionable boundaries are written into language here on earth... airspace... international waters... In these cases there is, at the very least, stuff to which one may tie a small baggage tag, complete with a name and address, so when it comes around on the turnstile, one can proceed to shove everyone nearby aside to get to it, and feel completely justified in doing so.

With space, things get more complicated. This is strange, as you'd think in the absence of everything, simplicity would prevail.

"No, no, no! We don't wish to fly objects over your country in space! Don't be silly! We are going to fly them in a region corresponding roughly to an irregular helical tube curved into an ellipse, of which one focal point will be referenced to the center of the sun. If your pesky little chunk of earth gets in the way, that's certainly not our problem now is it?"

What can be more easily defined and understood is access to space. Ensured access is something the US is very interested in maintaining for itself, and I believe she has every right to do so. As I said before, it's just a bunch of nothing. As for the desire of nations to limit the access of others, well, that's a whole other matter.

Bwahahahah.

It's been stated publicly by several US administrations why is that funny

When I was a kid in grade school in the sixties I was enthralled with books about the space program. NASA was into the Gemini program by then and Apollo was on the drawing boards as we were seriously on track for putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade. Which we did by the way, for you younger kids out there.

These same books also predicted that by the 1990's we would have permanent lunar colonies. In "2001: A Space Odyssey" the guy flies to the moon (on a Pan Am spaceship...sigh...), and encounters the black monolith that made the apes bonk each other on the head with bones. I believed ALL of it, just like I knew that someday I would skydive.

I am so disappointed that none of it has ever happened. Everybody lost interest in space after we reached the moon, that the Apollo program got scrubbed with even one complete Saturn V assembled and ready to go. What a waste.

Bush told one of his bullshit lies about returning to the moon and going on to Mars, but it won't happen under his inspired leadership. He's screwed the pooch and the money's not there. Maybe someday we will return, maybe with a permanent colony. I'd still like to go, even if I have to wait 'til I'm ninety. Hell, I'd go just to sweep the fucking floors up there, long as I can get to go outside for walks.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Bwahahahah.

Their wording didn't exactly correspond to your version.

LOL, I really wonder if you believe that shit.

Bwahahahah.

Their wording didn't exactly correspond to your version.

Yeah because power structures like the US government use the same language. No clearly they will mask it with perfume but essentially when you analyze the wording and plans of action in national security documents militarization is the obvious goal. The Clinton years were about the militarization of space and when Bush arrived it was extended further to control of space for military purposes.

LOL, I really wonder if you believe that shit.

The military domination of space by the US government? They have already and openly stated this is an objective.

Meaning, as they have said, the possibility of instant engagement anywhere, with highly lethal offensive weapons, which can strike anywhere on earth without warning. The US are not trying to build magical-last resort “missile defense” systems, their policies in space reflect their “defense” policies on the ground, “missile defense” systems are first strike weapons and that is understood by everyone including US analysts and potential targets like China.

Its why when Europe and much of the rest of the world want a strong reaffirmation of the 1967 Outer Space Treaty which bans militarization of space the US continuously try to derail the process.

Here's what you wrote w.r.t. their thoughts/beliefs:

space belongs to them and is rightfully theirs

But if you'd rather forget you wrote that shit, I don't really blame you.

Belongs to them? Certainly, and it is reflected in their process of trying to militarize it. By their thinking it is also rightfully theirs, that is by the right of being the most powerful and most technologically advanced.

Clinton or Bush may not have held a press conference and said "space is rightfully ours!" but this attitude is clearly reflected in policies and action.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

The US might be wanting to beat the Chinese to THIS STUFF>;) Helium-3 (He-3) is an isotope of Helium with two protons and one neutron, which is rare on Earth; it is sought after for use in nuclear fusion research. More abundant helium-3 is thought to exist on the Moon (embedded in the upper layer of regolith by the solar wind over billions of years) and the solar system's gas giants (left over from the original solar nebula), although still in low quantities (28 ppm of lunar regolith is helium-4 and 0.01 ppm is helium-3).[1] It is proposed to be used as a second-generation fusion power source

isn't Google great!

Actually, it'll be a secret Al Qaeda base.....those sneaky bastards!

Ineffective backpedal

Your categorical summarization is so ... so ... AUTHORITATIVE! We're sure lucky to have you here telling us what's effective and what isn't. It saves us the effort of having our own opinions.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

isn't Google great!

Actually, it'll be a secret Al Qaeda base.....those sneaky bastards!Actually I read an article about it awhile back and couldn't find it so that's how I knew where to look on google.:P Google is great. If you don't mind them wanting to know everything about you.>http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c3e49548-088e-11dc-b11e-000b5df10621.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.