SBS

Falwell's Dead - Is it wrong to celebrate?

> I will celebrate when William Jefferson Clinton leaves this Earth to join his creator.

I think it's sad we have so many people who take so much joy in someone else's death. Clinton was an idiot, but I will take no joy in his death, whether by an assassin's bullet or by cancer. Likewise, Bush is a terrible president who has done us a lot of harm - but I'd stop an assassination attempt against him if I could, and I will not take his death as a cause to celebrate.

I think there are times when you can be a democrat or a republican (or a christian, or a muslim, or whatever) but there are times when it is more important to be a human being.

So much for leaving me in the dark, ya'll!!:P

My new life philosophy is to not return hate with hate. Some of his statements are so hateful they're nearly laughable. Stupid, but laughable.:S

Oh, I agree. Few see the irony of, "I hate him. He's SOOOOOO hateful and intolerant."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

How did I get into this minefield known as SC?

(Evil laughing in the background) >:(
Welcome to Motel Hello
Where even a misspelled word can get you body slammed against the rocky floor!
Where there are no gentlemen or ladies...only tormentors!
lol! >:( lol! >:( LOL! >:( (evil laughing fades away)

...but there are times when it is more important to be a human being.

It's very human to be happy when harmful situations end or dangerous men die. It's idealistic in a way (but hardly human) to revere individual people who cause massive destruction.

Without intending to make a comparison with any current world leaders, but rather to test the extent of your conviction, do you believe you would

A) stop an assassination attempt against hitler?

B) catch a man who had just shot your wife but was knocked down a cliff by the recoil of his gun?

C) donate blood to save a someone who swore his next act would be to blow up a city?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Nah just the ones I agree with!
you know the intelligent comments!;)
But here maybe you're onto something!
Secret recipe, don't give it away! :D:DB|:S:S;)

*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

But here maybe you're onto something!
Secret recipe, don't give it away! :D:DB|:S:S;)

Ah I see, well more power to your elbow sir!

And the recipe is safe with me, a wink's as good as a nudge to a blind horse, as they say!B|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>A) stop an assassination attempt against hitler?

Back when he was leading the Axis powers? No. When he was holed up in his bunker? If I could do so with little risk to me, yes.

>catch a man who had just shot your wife but was knocked down a cliff by the recoil of his gun?

Yes, again if there was little risk to me.

>donate blood to save a someone who swore his next act would be to blow up a city?

This may well be happening. I don't know who my blood goes to. It may well be someone who's a suspected terrorist.

One of my favorite chinese sayings is..... May you live in "interesting" times

Falwell and Robertson and the Right Wing Moral( except behind closed doors) Majoroity have created a self fullfilling prophesy.. trouble is they have dragged the rest of us who do not believe as they do into "Interesting Times"

I wonder what the percantage of Jerry and Pats followers really want as much tribulation as possible... so that they can feel the end times are on us.

"I never saw a person so mis-guided or put his foot in his mouth as much as he did."

Two words....

Pat Robertson.

Bobbi

Pat Robertson is such a nutcase that he makes completely loony claims that no one can take seriously, so he is pretty harmless while also providing comedic entertainment. Example: His recent video "proving" that he could leg press 1000 lbs.

Falwell was never dumb enough to make such wild-ass claims, so he held a lot more credibility. That made him more dangerous than Robertson.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>catch a man who had just shot your wife but was knocked down a cliff by the recoil of his gun?

Yes, again if there was little risk to me.

I find these answers very interesting. You might have a strong understanding of your own reactions, or perhaps you just have an ideal that you'd like to believe you'd live up to.

Either way, I wouldn't categorize these behaviors as "human" the way you did. They're interesting and you could argue they're superior to the opposite answers in some way, but they're not at their core "human" values.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I think we can celebrate the fact that he is not here to encourage intolerance without the celbrating the manner in which it happened. I certainly feel sympthathhy for his family and their loss. But I will not mourn the person who gave us comments like this:
"I really believe that the Pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians, ... the ACLU, People For the American Way - all of them who have tried to secularize America - I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this [terrorist attack: 9/11] happen."

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."

The fact that the likes of GW Bush and John Mccain can pay tribute to such a man that said things like that is something I find amazing.

Falwell's Dead - Is it wrong to celebrate?

No.
If it was OK for someone to start a thread gleefully celebrating the death of Jack Valenti - simply because the OP didn't like the inconvenience of not being able to easily copy his CD's - there's surely good reason to celebrate Falwell's demise.

That being said, wishing someone dead just because you think he's a bonehead is pretty childish. Except for the principal of the school I went to in the 2nd grade. Fucker. Good that he's dead.

> I will celebrate when William Jefferson Clinton leaves this Earth to join his creator.

I think it's sad we have so many people who take so much joy in someone else's death. Clinton was an idiot, but I will take no joy in his death, whether by an assassin's bullet or by cancer. Likewise, Bush is a terrible president who has done us a lot of harm - but I'd stop an assassination attempt against him if I could, and I will not take his death as a cause to celebrate.

I think there are times when you can be a democrat or a republican (or a christian, or a muslim, or whatever) but there are times when it is more important to be a human being.

Well said, and my point exactly.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

We are each entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. Just because someone dies doesn't automatically make what they did in life any more acceptable.

We are each entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. Just because someone dies doesn't automatically make what they did in life any more acceptable.

Not what I am implying at all; I happen to agree with you. I just think that there are very few deaths of any human being that are cause to celebrate. I don't think a difference of opinions (as opposed to a serial killer or child molester) is cause for me to dance on someone's grave.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Not what I am implying at all; I happen to agree with you. I just think that there are very few deaths of any human being that are cause to celebrate. I don't think a difference of opinions (as opposed to a serial killer or child molester) is cause for me to dance on someone's grave.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be out in the streets hoopin' and hollerin'. I'll just pour a shot of tequila, hold it in the air and say, "Here's to (fill in name). Good riddance" , drink my shot and that will be that.
Of course it will be in the privacy of my own home so as not to disrespect others who do not feel the same way.

>Just because someone dies doesn't automatically make what they
>did in life any more acceptable.

It doesn't change what they did during their lives _at_all._ But I find that I can hate what someone does without hating them. Like I said, I think Bush has done this country a lot of harm, and has caused the needless deaths of at least tens of thousands. But for all I know he could be a nice guy, and would have made a good middle manager somewhere.

Likewise, I think Falwell did a lot of bad things, and said a lot of things I disagree with. Doesn't mean I hate HIM. I'm glad he's not saying those things any more, but if it were up to me, I'd prefer that to happen by his conversion to a less-venomous form of chrisitanity, rather than through his death.