quade

Guns don't kill people! It's them damn little bullets!

Not much in the way of smarts there, is he?

The loaded ammo (if usable) is worth a lot more than the scrap brass.
If the brass was reloadable it again was worth more than scrap.
Shooting the ammo in a rifle is much more fun than smacking it with a hammer and stopping the bullets with your belly. (I would assume so).

It takes about 75 .223 cartridge cases to make a pound - that's a lot of work for $1.70.

Shooting ranges rake the stuff up and put in in 50-gallon drums, and sell it in bulk. That's the only way to make significant money off of it. Most ranges forbid you to pick up any brass except your own - they want that recycle value for themselves.

Without a chamber to contain the explosion, bullets just pop out and don't have much force - lucky for him.

I'm surprised that it took 100 rounds before one fired off on him. Primers are fairly sensitive to crushing - that's what they're designed to do, when hit with a firing pin.

The proper way to remove loaded rounds is with; 1) a reloading press with a bullet-puller die, or; 2) a kinetic "hammer" bullet puller, which uses the mass of the bullet to pop it out of the case.

Attached: Kinetic bullet puller
You put a loaded case in one end, whack the hammer on the ground to pop out the bullet, then remove the bullet, powder and case. They're handy for undoing things when you realize you've made a mistake. Or for recovering components from old ammo. For example, I have some WWII .303 British ammo with unreliable cordite in it. So I unload it, throw away the cordite, and reuse the cases and bullets with fresh powder and primers.

OK, no one died, so the who "kill people" thing is a strange choice for a title. As far as shooting himself, anyone who has seen was a .223 does to living tissue knows that 1/2 inch or less of penetration is not getting shot.

The "idiot" comment, well, you'll get no argument on that one. ;)

What people need to understand, that John alluded to, is that a casing (the brass 'container' part of ammunition) is not strong enough to contain or direct the force or the powder going off. The chamber or a firearm (steel walls where the ammunition sits before being fired) are what make the gun function. They contain the force of the combustion (there is no explosion in modern firearms), meaning that the path of least reisistance is forcing the bullet (the projectile) through the barrel.

When a round of ammunition goes off outside a chamber (or in the wrong size chamber) the force is not contained or directed, so the brass is forced out of shape, peeling open along weak points, and the bullet tends to land four or five feet away (or in the case of incorrect caliber firearms, the bullet can lodge in the barrel - a big problem).

In this idiots case (no pun intended) the vice may have contained some of the force, but the brass is still too weak to direct to bullet. Hence the pop, minimal penetration, and Darwin failing to do his duty.

I think it was the NTSA who did a study with SAAMI's help in regards to shipping ammunition in 18-wheelers and what warning if any, they should carry. They basically set an 18-wheeler container full of ammunition on fire. It sounded like popcorn on the stove. Not a single round penetrated the walls of the trailer (which bullets do quite easily when fired from a gun).

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

OK, no one died, so the who "kill people" thing is a strange choice for a title.

The subject line is a quote from comedian Jake Johanson.

Not EVERY post in SC has to be 100% serious. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

OK, no one died, so the who "kill people" thing is a strange choice for a title.

The subject line is a quote from comedian Jake Johanson.

Not EVERY post in SC has to be 100% serious. ;)

Jake is my father in law's cousin. He's funny.

I believe the quote is really a version of a cartoon cat's statement "It's not the guns I'm afraid of. It's the bullets"

can you name the cat?

Edit: Superman is the only character I've ever seen that was more afraid of the gun than the bullets. He'd stand there letting bullets bounce off his chest. But when they threw the gun at him....... (of course, throwing bullets at someone is a lot less effective than shoot them.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

A guy I knew in high school dropped a box of .22 ammo, one went off and hit near his armpit. Screwed up some nerves in his arm.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG