Zipp0

Study Confirms Gas Companies GOUGING

>so what makes you think rising prices will curb growth let alone reduce consumption?

Because if gas was $100 a gallon most people could not afford it. It is now $3 a gallon and people still can (as evinced by how many people buy it, and how demand is growing.) Between those two numbers is a price that will reduce demand to the point where a reduced supply can meet demand. In a free economy, the price per gallon will naturally gravitate to this balance in the absence of external forcing.

>Obviously there is a price at which people will reduce consumption
>but I don't believe we are anywhere near that point.

Estimates I've seen put that price at between $5 and $6 per gallon in today's dollars.

Thanks, but I just want a cheap scooter, not a motorcycle. I don't want to have to get an M license. And spending $3500 would sort of eat in to the savings in gas......

because scooters are almost bulletproof, they tend to be more expensive than cheap used motorcycles. But they may still have their place - I've found that the mechanical costs for the motorcycle (shorter maintenence cycles and more expensive short lived tires) erases most of the savings at the pump. Scoters might do better on this, but personally the little ones seem like death traps.

In California, you still need a M2 endorsement to ride scooters.

His point Bill is that there are no new diesel options in California, the rules are too strict. Not even Mercedes can develop their engines to meet all 50 states.

Honda has developed a diesel engine that will pass emissions in all 50 states. They will first launch a four-cylinder diesel engine by 2010 and a V-6 will soon follow.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

In Europe, where gas has been well over $5 a gallon for years, there are tons of tiny cars (like the SMART car), and people actually take public transportation.

Because there IS public transportation system.
The only place in US I've seen so far which had something that could be called a public transportation system was NYC.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/23/news/economy/bc.usa.congress.gasoline.reut/

House passes gas price-gouging bill
The profiteering bill aims at preventing gas stations from running up prices that are 'unconscionably excessive.'

[reply}
The profiteering bill aims at preventing gas stations from running up prices that are 'unconscionably excessive.'

Whatever the hell that means......

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

[reply}

Whatever the hell that means......And I reply to that w/ THIS>http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=610122 We won't have to worry. Maybe there will be no REAL gas stations left. What ever happened to FULL SERVICE? Oil checked, windows cleaned, gas pumped. I must be getting old. (sigh)[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

A new house bill is aimed at breaking up the big-5 oil companies into 10-12 smaller companies. The theory being that they will become more competitive. I doubt that there is a cause-effect relationship there.

The basic problem was identified as too many companies being allowed to merge. e.g. Exxon-Mobil in 99. They made astounding profits afterward.

A new house bill is aimed at breaking up the big-5 oil companies into 10-12 smaller companies. The theory being that they will become more competitive. I doubt that there is a cause-effect relationship there.

The basic problem was identified as too many companies being allowed to merge. e.g. Exxon-Mobil in 99. They made astounding profits afterward.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

My only problem with it is this: I don't see any competition between the current 5. I don't think that it follows that more companies would mean competition.

We have inelastic demand for the product.
They could essentially charge what they wish (and are).
Two companies would just mean another clump of management. One more CEO multi-millionaire.
No value added.

Gas station profit is usually on the order of 7-11 cents per gallon even where gas is selling for $3.50! Limits on their markup is going to do nothing to gas prices although it does give voters the illusion that politicians are doing something about high prices.

Gas station profit is usually on the order of 7-11 cents per gallon even where gas is selling for $3.50! Limits on their markup is going to do nothing to gas prices although it does give voters the illusion that politicians are doing something about high prices.

Did you read my post? They are losing money after the credit card co's are getting their cut. Or so they say.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.