akarunway

Windows Vista

SUCKS>:(. So does Dell and HP tech support[:/] That's all.B|

I have to disagree with your statement, because for me Vista is really cool and looks really nice, but I know my way around a computer and I have to admit, I had to do a lot of tweaks and upgrades to make it run smooth. So for the average person I can see how you feel like this. I tell most people to wait until a service pack or two comes out to address the problems and just stick with XP for now. But I'm telling you, Vista is nice after you work all the bugs out! --Not that people should have to work bugs out of an OS, MS did rush this out.
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

Maybe you should have seen these first?

I may get a Mac for general internet use. With unix under the gui, I should be able to add any other programs that I need.

If Vista requires that much care to get working right now, why not run solaris or linux instead? It won't require the hardware upgrade either.

If I were to buy another dell, I would opt for the WinXP choice that they have given customers again.

I'm liking Vista quite a bit - though I don't see the big deal, most of the interface stuff is just cosmetic.

It just took a couple weeks to get it (my new computer and rolling it into our home network) dialed in for my home use. Most of the issues were home networking (nothing to do with Vista), and Norton (which I've dumped and use something else) iincompatible with Vista. Though I now think Norton is likely incompatible with computers in general.

And, for me, the HP tech support has been fantastic. They helped me trouble shoot issues that were clearly the responsibility of either my internet provider or software package providers. For Norton, they even found me some call in numbers that bypass all the usual crap and got me straight in with the nice crowd of people in India.

HP quickly refunded my cost for Norton and also one program (Roxio) that only gliches in one area (Videowave) but worked great in all the other modules. I was able to use the money to buy a better video editor.

One thing to try is working with the help desk. Unloading your frustration on a technician who's trying to help you only pisses him off unfairly.

Norton and Vista don't get along yet. I think Norton sucks (though, even their support team bent over backwards trying to help - the program sucks, the people were decent).

Just bought an HP laptop - docking station - 500G backup Seagate HD - etc, etc, etc. I'm liking it a lot.

Vista - Cool - a monkey can transition from XP to Vista if they just keep their eyes open and stay cool
HP - Good
Tech Support in general - Good
Norton - Bites
Roxio - ack
Adobe - Good

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I never left 2000Pro, and I can't think of a reason to. I used to enjoy geeking out on the computer and I've built all of my machines. But I don't like being forced to geek on things that Microsloth should have figured out already. My next move may be towards a Mac. I've got too many friends who use both but only bitch about their Windoze machines. Windows security is an oxymoron.

never built a machine
I'm only an application user
Not a computer geekophile

So I only know enough to get it up and going, but not enough to screw it up by being "clever"

Guess that's a good level to be at for this kind of stuff

I have no issues, but I'm not really pushing the limits of any application or system

Though, I would like the application you must have gotten from Mad Magazine that takes normal words and converts them to clever made-up words. That is cool. Where'd you get it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This month's patch cycle from Microsoft included 17 fixes, 4 marked as critical. 6 of the 17 were for Vista.

Sitting behind even a primitive NAT dsl modem and not using outlook/outlook express removes most of the danger, but if you had to maintain hundreds of these, you'd resent the whole product in a hurry.

Maybe you should have seen these first?

Or these:

Government Agency Bans Windows Vista

In a memo to his staff, the DOT's CIO Daniel Mintz says he has placed "an indefinite moratorium" on the upgrades as "there appears to be no compelling technical or business case for upgrading to these new Microsoft software products. Furthermore, there appears to be specific reasons not to upgrade."

and of course, we can't forget the infamous Microsoft Memo regarding the development of Vista, sent by Microsoft Vice President Jim Allchin to Bill Gates, stating: I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft.

Some other highlights from the same memo: "I am not sure how the company lost sight of what matters to our customers (both business and home) the most, but in my view we lost our way. I think our teams lost sight of what bug-free means, what resilience means, what full scenarios mean, what security means, what performance means, how important current applications are, and really understanding what the most important problems are customers face are."

You can read the whole thing here in .pdf: http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_7264.pdf

I keep telling people not to make the move yet.

Microsoft has really screwed the pooch with Vista.

It's pretty sad, maybe they'll fix the mess at some point but it could be a while.

Remember "Windows me (Millenium Edition)"?

Nobody else does either, they followed that up with Windows XP which was pretty darned good, hopefully they'll follow Vista up with an overhaul that gets back to a functional OS.... hopefully. XP was based on 2000 not "me" so they basically completely canned "me" as a bad idea.

My favorite Apple ad so far:

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/apple-getamac-chooseavista_480x376.mov

All about charging you more for less shit...... with more bugs[:/].

Though, I would like the application you must have gotten from Mad Magazine that takes normal words and converts them to clever made-up words. That is cool. Where'd you get it?

Sorry, it's part of my genetic BIOS. The one in Mad Magazine is crap. Works just as well as those x-ray glasses that I bought.

I previously worked in publishing, so I learned the old Mac systems. When I left my job I bought a pc so that I would be on the same plane like everyone else. Four years later, I think my pc laptop would be most useful as a doorstop. I bought a new Mac & I love it. The only way I will use a pc again is at a job where I would get paid to use it.

This month's patch cycle from Microsoft included 17 fixes, 4 marked as critical. 6 of the 17 were for Vista.

Sitting behind even a primitive NAT dsl modem and not using outlook/outlook express removes most of the danger, but if you had to maintain hundreds of these, you'd resent the whole product in a hurry.

ooooh, I get rid of Outlook and Outlook Express at my first opportunity no matter what system I'm in. I hate that thing.

When I was looking at buying a new laptop for surfing/email etc my natural choice was for a Windows one. Went to the dealer and looked at a few most were ugly expensive and came with Vista BETA edition :P. In one corner of the shop was a gorgeous little black MacBook had a play liked it, bought it and never looked back. I never shut it down, just open the lid and surf in a matter of seconds, battery life is good as well.

It can't run games very well, but I have my big desktop for that.

ooooh, I get rid of Outlook and Outlook Express at my first opportunity no matter what system I'm in. I hate that thing.

Outlook bad. Mozilla Thunderbird good.
Internet Explorer bad. Mozilla Firefox good.

M Firefox good. Razor phones suck too!. Just threw that one in the garbage
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Norton (which I've dumped and use something else) iincompatible with Vista. Though I now think Norton is likely incompatible with computers in general.

All you have to do is go to the Norton website and download the Vista version and use your cd key to activate it, works great, no complaints here.
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

All you have to do is go to the Norton website and download the Vista version and use your cd key to activate it, works great, no complaints here.

Yup - now go get the Add-on pack - that's where the next round of trouble got me over the edge

anyway, it was too much work to even get the base working for me

your mileage may vary

I have to disagree with your statement, because for me Vista is really cool and looks really nice, but I know my way around a computer and I have to admit, I had to do a lot of tweaks and upgrades to make it run smooth. So for the average person I can see how you feel like this. I tell most people to wait until a service pack or two comes out to address the problems and just stick with XP for now. But I'm telling you, Vista is nice after you work all the bugs out! --Not that people should have to work bugs out of an OS, MS did rush this out

Have to agree with everything you just said. Just got a new HP 9000DV with awesome docking station - took six hours from opening the boxes to configuring everything. Had to develop workarounds for the printer drivers.

P.S. for them what use Filezilla.... not ready for Vista yet. That one kinda tossed me... backed my files up to the webserver and then... well, shit... had to go to the XP computer to download them to a flash to upload to the new laptop...

All in all - Once it's tweaked; it's pretty good. And, it was kinda fun to get my head back in the IT game for a little while and see that my skills were just rusty and not gone. I like the new MSOffice 2007 environment. They have some really good features in it.

The network wizard isn't... use the manual configuration.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Six hours!?!? And you obviously know what you are doing.....

F*** that. On my one remaining PC, I'm sticking with XP
(although the f***ing Windows Genuine "Advantage" shit has just started causing issues again - and yes mine is a legal copy! [:/]>:()

Never try to eat more than you can lift

(although the f***ing Windows Genuine "Advantage" shit has just started causing issues again - and yes mine is a legal copy! [:/]>:()

It's nice to know where the "scheduler" is and how to use it. It's on thing I REALLY hate on new computers is all the timed notifications they give you - it's forced advertising.

We had one that came on after one week (asking us to check out internet providers) and it popped up every hour regularly. When you click "Don't show me again" it would show us again. Nice to disable all that crap and leave in the useful stuff.

I cannot remember how long it's been since I've actually had a problem with a MS product.

I cannot remember how long it's been since I've had to do anything to rebuild my computer that wasn't caused by something I consciously did that I was aware could be potentially destructive.

Why, after 5 years of never running virus protection or "open-source" applications like Firefox or Thunderbird, have I never had a problem like those "everyone" seems to be having with MS products?

I'm of the camp that people bash on whatever it's popular to bash on. The reality is that MS is a big company, and it's immensely successful. If they make a mistake, they are pretty quick to fix it. They also support their products better than any other software developer that is even competitive with them.

Ugh, I just get sick of people talking about MS as if they only make devil software that is out to destroy your computer or leave it vulnerable. They are the best at what they do, or else over 80% of household desktops wouldn't be MS-based.

I know what really sucks about windows after 2000 is the noncompatibility with old games..couldnt play my Monty Python Meaning of life.
Maybe somone can help me with a problem i just got. I recently got a adventure game crystal key circa 2001 that needed me to put on the older version of quicktime (4.1) to run. i needed to remove the current version. Now I cant get the little wmv movies on internet to work, like off of steakncheese..jujst a greenscreen and audio in the box. I even reloaded quick 7..still nothing..did i destroy some kind of active x? Im not very computer litterate. just sucks i cant watch any videos on internet now