floridadiver81

Dont buy gas may 15th!

Im carrying this over from myspace. I dont repost often...but this one doesnt hurt! I filled up my tank and it took me 42 friggin dollars...and i have a honda with a 15 gallon gas tank!

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.
Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all myspace members are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now well over $3.00 a gallon.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the myspace network, and the average car takes about 30 to 40 dollars to fill up.

If all myspace members did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets for just one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldnt) repost this bulletin repost it with Don't Pump Gas on May 15th
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

If all myspace members did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets for just one day.

....and puts the cash right back in their pockets the next day.

If you really wanted to make an impact you'd suggest that people don't drive for a day, otherwise this is just a no-op.

You have a valid point....but i...myself..normally only fill up once every 8-10 days. Everyone needs to be like me B|

"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie

It would help if the government wastn spending billions of dollars on pointless shit *cough cough* pointless wars *cough cough*

this is approximately the 70,0000000000,00,0,0,0,0,0,21341234123k90 afdjvasdnfga lfghadif hsdfhaoth time I have seen this stupid ass protest.

It's stupid. First of all, protests piss me off in the first place (most of them) as the only people they are truly going to reach and affect are those who are either already fully aware of and/or fully ignorant of the problem being protested. In a sense such as this. Although I will also admit there being a few, not necessarily protests, but demonstrations I guess(?) I support.

This is probably the most idiotic idea that anybody could possibly come up with. All these people are going to do is avoid purchasing gas for one day, which in turn will motivate the oil companies to hike their prices knowing that everybody is not giving up driving for good. That way, the next day when all those people who needed gas go buy it, they pay 10% more than they would have had they just not been a complete and total dumbshit about the whole idea in the first place, therefore costing 97% of the population of America another $2 that they wouldn't have needed to spend had they fueled up the day before.

Think this through people. It f***ing retarded.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Here is a myspace bulletin I just posted about this subject. Feel free to copy and paste it into another bulletin, assuming you are on myspace. Maybe even add your name to the bottom, to further stress the point of how retarded it is.

Myspace: www.myspace.com/cashmanimal (sorry for no clicky, too tired/lazy)

Posted at 1:15 AM (pacific time), Cashman wrote:

I would like to add before hand that I did not copy and paste this, it is simply a late-night rant that exploded out of my fingers and onto a keyboard due to my outrageous level of fatigue. Please read this and think it through. It is not stupid myspace spam. It will take 3 minutes. Plus, once you are done, I encourage you to point out flaws in my logic.

Don't pump gas on may 15th? Please, seriously. If any logical person sat down and crunched some even half-assed, semi-logical numbers they would realize how much they really are screwing themselves and the purpose they think their protest serves.

This is probably the most idiotic idea that anybody could possibly come up with. All these people are going to do is avoid purchasing gas for one day, which in turn will not only motivate the oil companies to hike their prices, but it gives them a perfectly logical reason to do so from a business standpoint, which is all they care about.

The oil companies know better than anybody else that everybody is not giving up driving for good. For one day, yes, the act of NOT purchasing gas costs the fat cats millions, upon millions, upon billions, blah blah blah. But put a few seconds of logic into this idea and you will realize how much money you are putting STRAIGHT back into their pockets. If you are trying to hurt big oil, don't do it a favor.

The next day, week, and possibly month after May 15th when all those people who needed gas that day go buy it, they pay 10% (don't hold me to that) more than they would have had they just not been a complete and total dumb ass about the whole idea in the first place, therefore costing the better majority of the population of America another $3 (average) that they wouldn't have needed to spend had they fueled up the day before. Therefore, taking the (billions??) of dollars they claim they cost the oil companies on May 15th, and throwing in quite a HEFTY tip on top as everybody hands it straight back to big oil for the next month afterwards makes this worthless protest.

Of course, there is no guarantee that I am right. It's just logical.

SO, if you wanna make your point and follow through on May 15th by not pumping gas, go for it. I am just sick of seeing this crap posted on myspace every day, forwarded to every internet forum, posted on walls and pillars around college campuses and advertised on the radio as well as through word-of-mouth. Especially since most of the people doing the talking, on this website at least, are teenagers who, assuming they drive at all, are putting gas in their car once a weeks at the most, and that is assuming that mommy and daddy still aren't paying for it.

I myself own a car that gets such terrible gas mileage, it should be illegal (and in most states, it is). I hate paying for gas just as much as the next guy. But perhaps instead of "Don't pump gas on may 15th," you could title this whole operation:

"Take it up the ass from big oil for a month AFTER May 15th."

The best part about this whole rant that has now wasted 10 minutes of my life, is I really don't even care. I'm tired, and sick of stupid ideas. Maybe this one will work. Perhaps I am completely wrong. But I am betting no, in case you haven't guessed.

Hope everybody had a wonderful weekend!

-Cashman

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

This sh*t doesn't work. The only way to reduce prices is to reduce consumption on a mass scale, for a long term.

This spike has nothing to do with the commodity price, it has to do with the refineries.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Agreed. ..... Supply and Demand.

Also the original premis is wrong... not filling your tank on a certain day does nothing, it wont stop people driving on that day in large numbers (they'll simply top off their tanks the day before.)

Need to reduce you fuel bill? - Reduce waste, get a smaller car or drive less (Walk, car share, public transport etc..).

In the west we use way too much fuel and with the Eastern industrial nations growing, they need fuel too and have as much right as us ... Supply & Demand will push the price up.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Exactly. It would permanently reduce gas prices, but that's really due to the reduction of the need for gas. A cheaper (or even a same-priced) alternative would definitely reduce the need therefore price of gas.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Supply and demand doesn't apply to gasoline. They artificially control supply with all of their refinery 'outages'. The supply is more than adequate, given the falling price of crude. The problem is greed, resulting in no new refineries, and bullshit outages that drive up the price.

I'll get on board. Fuck it- what can it hurt? What I remember is that when I pump gas, I am making a futures investment. If I feel the price will fall, I put in less. If I feel gas will go up, I fill the tank.....

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I have one idea that I THINK could have some effect, but maybe not. About 90% of the gas stations in the Tulsa area are Kum N Go, Quik Trip, Fiesa Mart & Star MArt. All of them have convenient stores.

We all need gas most every day and what we don't buy on May 15th wil be made up on May 16th. What we don't need is over priced pop, beer, snacks, etc.

What would happen if we only bought gas and refused to buy anything from the convenient store for a month?

steveOrino

What would happen if we only bought gas and refused to buy anything from the convenient store for a month?

According to the supply and demand folks, Snickers shoulc fall back to 25cents each.

Im carrying this over from myspace. I dont repost often...but this one doesnt hurt! I filled up my tank and it took me 42 friggin dollars...and i have a honda with a 15 gallon gas tank!

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.

On May 15th 2007, all myspace members are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now well over $3.00 a gallon.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the myspace network, and the average car takes about 30 to 40 dollars to fill up.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldnt) repost this bulletin repost it with Don't Pump Gas on May 15th

I usually reply with a virtual bitch slap to anyone who forwards me this crap. Of course, the last person to forward it to me was my grandmother, so I do make exceptions. :S
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

This is conveniently old enough to make verification (or personal memory) difficult. There have been many pointless chain letters since then about gas outs, but I don't recall anything of 1997 that would prompt such a thing.

Even in California, gas was in the 1.00-1.50 range. It wasn't until 1999/2000 that the first big jump past 2 dollars happened. Gas won't drop 30 cents in a day at those prices.

Just going along with the premise that gas stations, err, I mean oil companies, would change their prices instantaneous based on sales, don't you think they'd do a weekly average over a single day, esp when that day is a Tuesday? You're not the only person that fills up weekly.

That week is the ride your bike to work week (with the key day typically being Thursday, the 17th). If a significant number of people biked that week, and continued to ride, you would see a modest decrease.

> Supply and demand doesn't apply to gasoline.

Of course it does. Demand goes up, so does price. Supply goes down, price goes up. Since no one is making any more oil, expect to see gas prices continue to climb. And of course since very few people are willing to reduce their gasoline usage - don't expect demand to drop either.

Want to see market forces in action? Have a MONTH where no one buys gasoline, and uses alternate fuels/public transportation/bicycle/walking instead. Gas prices will drop precipitously.

Of course, that would require effort. Much easier to just not buy gas on one day. Won't do a damned thing, of course, but it gives people who perceive themselves as victims a way to "get back at The Man."

Of course it does. Demand goes up, so does price. Supply goes down, price goes up. Since no one is making any more oil, expect to see gas prices continue to climb. And of course since very few people are willing to reduce their gasoline usage - don't expect demand to drop either.

Want to see market forces in action? Have a MONTH where no one buys gasoline, and uses alternate fuels/public transportation/bicycle/walking instead. Gas prices will drop precipitously.

Of course, that would require effort. Much easier to just not buy gas on one day. Won't do a damned thing, of course, but it gives people who perceive themselves as victims a way to "get back at The Man."

I generally fill up about twice a month. Of course, I drive a Chevy Tahoe, so a fill-up is about 25 gallons. Working from home is a great way to reduce gas consumption. Unfortunately, it's not an option for most people.

Of course, later this month my dad and I are driving to Vegas for a convention, so my monthly consumption will be up a little bit. Flying might be more ecologically friendly, but it's just too much of a pain in the ass these days.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Of course it does.

Not in the traditional sense. Supply. in the oil market, is artificially controlled - specifically the gasoline supply, through bogus outages and purposefully lacking refining capactity.

>Supply. in the oil market, is artificially controlled - specifically the gasoline
>supply, through bogus outages and purposefully lacking refining capactity.

ALL supply is artificially controlled. In general, industry builds artificial stuff according to their own (artificial) forecasts and plans. If they build too much, and demand goes down (or they cannot get enough raw material) then they make less money. If they build too little, and demand is higher than expected, then they make less money. That artificial planning is one part of what determines whether a company succeeds or not.

In terms of the oil industry, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are putting off building more capacity because they see the oil peak coming, and they know that a multi-billion dollar refinery will end up sitting idle in ten years if they are foolish enough to build one.

Imagine a DZ next to a military base; 75% of its clientele is military. The military base is going to close in six months. They have eight student rigs, and sometimes they are short on busy weekends. Is that DZO going to buy another four brand new rigs, or is he going to try to keep those eight rigs working until the base closes - at which point he will have too many rigs?

Now, you could call that "bogus rig shortages" and "purposeful lack of gear" but most people would call it a good business decision - even if it inconveniences the people who want to go through AFF on busy weekends.

Of course it does.

Not in the traditional sense. Supply. in the oil market, is artificially controlled - specifically the gasoline supply, through bogus outages and purposefully lacking refining capactity.

I'm with you there, I've mentioned these here before. We haven't seen this kind of manipulation since Enron reamed CA. They went bust for other reasons and the real billion dollar robbery went unpunished, despite smoking gun tapes of market manipulation by laughing employees.

It has emboldened the oil companies.

In terms of the oil industry, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are putting off building more capacity because they see the oil peak coming, and they know that a multi-billion dollar refinery will end up sitting idle in ten years if they are foolish enough to build one.

Possibly, but it's more likely that they're not interested in building any new refineries.
Here's a link pertaining to the last time this was in the national discussion.
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/energy/pr/?postId=5110

>Possibly, but it's more likely that they're not interested in building any new refineries.

Right, that's another way to put it. They have enough capacity now to make record profits, and building more would a) cause greater supply (thus reducing profits) and b) give them capacity they will soon not be able to use. What's the financial incentive for them to build more refineries? To save consumers money? That's not why they're in business.