lawrocket

What's your ecological footprint?

I got 1.6 Planets being totally honest.:)
Now. When's Dubbie going to invade and get me the extra 0.6 planet that I need to maintain my lifestyle!!?

I mean. It's only an extra half planet or so... Get yer finger out Bush!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I believe this survey is flawed. I answered honestly and came out with 6.1 planets.:o While my home is much larger than 2500 sq. ft., it is extremely energy efficient. The house is very well insulated, has top quality windows, heating/ac is managed very well with 8 zones all on timers. Electric usage is kept to a minimum. All but one car gets over 30mpgs. There is no public transportation in my area. I don't understand the question regarding meat usage. I eat meat, but only organic (is that the right word?). Animals are a renewable resource. The only factor I can see that would be excessive is the size of the house in comparison to the number of residents. There it would be much higher than average. What the questionnaire does not ask is how much land my family has purchased simply for the purpose of conservation. I believe the questionnaire is flawed and does not serve its intended purpose.

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 4.2

MOBILITY 1

SHELTER 10.9

GOODS/SERVICES 10.9

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 27

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 6.1 PLANETS.

Chris

I believe this survey is flawed.

no it's not, it does exactly what it is designed to do....

give a fake answer to poke at those with liberal guilt, then solicit donations.

I bet it really is designed to use the questions against income correlations and then boost the score proportionally.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> I don't understand the question regarding meat usage. I eat meat,
>but only organic (is that the right word?). Animals are a renewable resource.

?? That's right, but they take more land. That 4.2 acres is the number of acres needed to support the cows/chickens/corn/potatoes you are going to eat. Generally, you need 10 acres of land to produce X calories worth of meat; you need 1 acre to produce X calories of vegetables/fruit. That's why vegans/vegetarians require less land.

I believe this survey is flawed. I answered honestly and came out with 6.1 planets.:o While my home is much larger than 2500 sq. ft., it is extremely energy efficient. The house is very well insulated, has top quality windows, heating/ac is managed very well with 8 zones all on timers. Electric usage is kept to a minimum. All but one car gets over 30mpgs. There is no public transportation in my area. I don't understand the question regarding meat usage. I eat meat, but only organic (is that the right word?). Animals are a renewable resource. The only factor I can see that would be excessive is the size of the house in comparison to the number of residents. There it would be much higher than average. What the questionnaire does not ask is how much land my family has purchased simply for the purpose of conservation. I believe the questionnaire is flawed and does not serve its intended purpose.

Acknowledging rehmwa's answer (and ignoring it) I believe you are correct. In the USA and western Europe we make very productive use of our land. So how is it our fault if Zimbabwe or Myanmar totally screws its agriculture?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 4.9

MOBILITY 9.9

SHELTER 7.2

GOODS/SERVICES 11.6

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 34

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 7.6 PLANETS

DAYUM I thought I needed many more planets.. BUT they did not ask about my boat;)

But I love my SUV, Harley, skydiving and 2600 sg ft brick home!

4x4 Diesel 3/4 ton PU No Harley.. lots of flying and skydiving....and 4 bedroom 3000Sq Ft home on acreage..32ft boat with twin 350's( they did not ask about that)
Beef its what is for lunch and for dinner.

I do have all the fun little flourescent bulbs that are 10 Watt to 20 Watt that put out far more light... use my wood stove for heat... Electric furnace is set at 55 and the wood makes up the difference well with the south exposure most of the year I dont even need that... no AC... luckily its a mild climate here..they make a big deal out of 45 days or more when its above 75 degrees.

I'm at 8.6 planets. It has to be the 100 hours flying a year - that's around 300 loads in our Porter including (hot) refuels.

I don't think many people have counted their skydiving - or I don't think most people on this site skydive much..

Edit to add - I also live in Africa, so relative to the people around me, my 60 sq m home and tiny car are the mutz nutz!

t
It's the year of the Pig.