akarunway

USA days as THE superpower are numbered. There IS strength in numbers

So if the US forms an alliance with, for example, European democracies, will that counter it?

Donno. I would think that would be up to the powers that be. I pretty much think they are sick of our imperialist attitude themselves. Time will tell;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I think it could be really good.

The foreign ministers, Pranab Mukherjee, Li Zhao Xing and Sergei Lavrov, emphasised that theirs was not an alliance against the United States. It was, “on the contrary, intended to promote international harmony and understanding”, a joint communiqué stated.

Their formal agenda covered issues ranging from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Middle East and North Korea to energy security, nuclear non-proliferation and trade. The subtext, however, was clear: how to use their growing economic and political muscle to prevent Washington from tackling such issues alone.

Mr Mukherjee said: “We agreed that cooperation rather than confrontation should govern approaches to regional and global affairs. We also agreed on the importance of the UN.”

About the only thing I disagree with is the UN bit. I think the UN could be important, but with events like food for oil and Darfur....Well I don't think they do squat that is good.

Ha.

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I think this article reconfirms international concern over America's behaviour in light of the actions taken in Iraq, Afghanistan and the 'threat' many international communities feel prevails from America, in their actions towards the so called ending of terrorism and promoting democracy, and world peace.

This isn't an America bashing post in the slightest, despite the fact the greatest destabilising nation in the world today is America.

The greater your power, the greater responsibility you have in how you conduct yourself. The greater your responsibility towards the effect's of your actions on 'lesser' individuals.

Certain national leaders may well love to see a beaten and humiliated USA. In some regards, where conceit and arrogance have been demonstrated in abundance, this is understandable.

But ultimately, the global ramifications of such a situation would cause everybody to suffer. That's not to say China as the only international superpower would be a sorry state of affairs. Nobody can really say. What is important is that America will fight to the bitter end to protect it's status.

And we're witnessing the struggle now. Not good is it? The eventual outcome doesn't exactly fill one with optimism does it?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Looks like a hidden first step toward a global tax[:/]

I know I am stretching it but anymore I look at most everything in the "it is all about money" light
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hmmm... Perhaps.

But what I think the article misses is that India & China's economies are tied to serving the demands of North America & Europe. In effect these economies are being fed from the first-world fat.

Can North America and Europe survive without offshore call centres, cheap clothing, textiles & consumer goods? I think the answer wold be a slightly uncomfortable Yes.

Can India & China continue to thrive as they have without "First World" trade surpluses? I think that's a very definite No.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

But what I think the article misses is that India & China's economies are tied to serving the demands of North America & Europe. In effect these economies are being fed from the first-world fat.

Can North America and Europe survive without offshore call centres, cheap clothing, textiles & consumer goods? I think the answer wold be a slightly uncomfortable Yes.

Can India & China continue to thrive as they have without "First World" trade surpluses? I think that's a very definite No.

Mike.

Your arguement seems to hinge on Europe acting in lockstep with the US. They will not precisely because they do not benefit from US hegemony.
During the cold war there was no question western Europe's interests feathered well with America's. Now it is not so clear. For example the US invaded Iraq and removed a government that owed France a lot of money. Not only is France not going to be repaid but much of the trade that existed has vanished or has become US-Iraq trade.

I pretty much think they are sick of our imperialist attitude themselves. Time will tell:P

I wonder how sick of a Chinese imperalism they would get... and how quickly the nausea would set in. The old saying about the devil you know comes to mind. So does the one about being careful what you wish for.

Then again, many people are only against things and don't really know what that makes them for.
Oh, hello again!

I pretty much think they are sick of our imperialist attitude themselves. Time will tell:P

I wonder how sick of a Chinese imperalism they would get... and how quickly the nausea would set it. The old saying about the devil you know comes to mind. So does the one about being careful what you wish for.

Then again, many people are only against things and don't really know what that makes them for.

That's the best response I've seen all freakin day....:)

Don't be daft! I'm amazed at how people can't see how much the current American Governments foreign policy is fucking up the world.

If it continues, you might be eating your radioactive chicken noodles sooner than ya' think!

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Ask Hong Kong. They seem to be doing OK after the transition.

I'd rather ask the people China isn't using as a PR piece... you know, Tibetans, Taiwanese, hell... ask people in Beijing. I have. I don't think you'd like their brand of governing, Bill. But hey, I guess I can't assume to know how you like your oppression. The US must be much worse because you don't seem to like the president this time around.
Oh, hello again!

I see that the world is a fucked up place, yes. Is it solely generated by the US? fuck no....

For most, it's just easy to point fingers, jump up on their peace wagon, and yell that the US is responsible.

One big ass dirty bomb going off "anywhere" on the European continent, and they'll be screaming at that bad boy US to come help.....yeppers...

Don't be daft! I'm amazed at how people can't see how much the current American Governments foreign policy is fucking up the world.

If we avoid being daft, will you avoid being ignorant? What specific policy is fucking up the world? Is it worse than the policies of the Romans, the British, the Japanese, the Germans? When hasn't someone been fucking up the world? You think that someone like China would be a better superpower to deal with? Daft, indeed.
Oh, hello again!

If we avoid being daft, will you avoid being ignorant? What specific policy is fucking up the world? Is it worse than the policies of the Romans, the British, the Japanese, the Germans? When hasn't someone been fucking up the world? You think that someone like China would be a better superpower to deal with? Daft, indeed.

Other than being rather partial to chicken noodles, I'd prefer them not to be the worlds only superpower. You've misunderstood me. Whilst history is important, I find the present times more of a concern. Funny that, isn't it?:S

The current US Government's deployment in the Middle East has caused destabilisation through mistakes made, poor judgement and sometimes, complete stupidity.

If you fail to see or recognise these rather obvious facts, who's ignorant?

If it continues, you might be eating your radioactive chicken noodles sooner than ya' think!

There will never be a government without corruption because governments are made of men and there will always be corrupt men.

"Of two evils we must always choose the least." Thomas Kempis
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Hmmm... Perhaps.

Mike.

This is a great point! In the media we here about people/countries complaining about the US and our power and influence in the rest of the world, but we could end the globalization idea and do everything within our own borders and survive while still maintaining our military and worldwide superiority. Then what would the rest of the world be saying? "Please come back and SAVE us" or "The US left us with our thumbs up our butts" People can complain all they want about the US, but in the end, you all need us and we don't NEED you.

(but eventually the US will topple, but not yet....)

PS. The UK will always be our brothers and is there for the long haul
Swoop and Poop....my favorite things to photograph

Other than being rather partial to chicken noodles, I'd prefer them not to be the worlds only superpower. You've misunderstood me. Whilst history is important, I find the present times more of a concern. Funny that, isn't it?:S

The current US Government's deployment in the Middle East has caused destabilisation through mistakes made, poor judgement and sometimes, complete stupidity.

If you fail to see or recognise these rather obvious facts, who's ignorant?

Are you saying that the middle east was stable prior to the current war in Iraq?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch