SpeedRacer

A question for the Pro-Iraq-War people:

I don't have a desire for us to stay there, but our presence will remain in that area for decades.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

How long would you like us to stay in Iraq?

And exactly what do you visualize would be the situation in Iraq that would allow us to leave?

I'm bumping this up again to see if I can get a few more responses.

I've been wondering what specifically people have in mind when they talk about "winning" in Iraq, or not leaving "until the job is done" or whatever.

What exactly would Iraq look like the day before we bring at least the majority of the troops home?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

any particular reason why would we want to stay there for decades?

The same reason we've remained in other parts of the world for over half a century.

We also drew our presence down in Saudi Arabia. While we have good relations and operations in Qatar, Kuwait and Dubai, etc., circumstances will require our presence for quite a while longer.
Make light!

I recently saw the movie "the quiet american". According to me, the movie describes the Iraq situation pretty well. It`s a crusade. The only possible outcome I see in this, is the us troops returning home after enough blood is spilt, and they finally realise there is no-one to "liberate". Then the UN stays and cleans up the crap. As usual.

Then the UN stays and cleans up the crap. As usual.

You mean in places like Rwanda, Somalia, and the Balkans? Yeah, bang-up job so far...nothing done in Rwanda, or Somalia (are they even still there?), and NATO still commands the situation in the Balkans.
Make light!

Still, noone has anwered the question, apart from saying we'll have some presence in Iraq for decades. I assume he meant not the full force we have there now.

So what specific milestone must be passed for us to bring some or most of our troops home?

I think it's important to have this nailed down in specific terms if we are to make decisions about how to proceed from this point forward.
Speed Racer

So what specific milestone must be passed for us to bring some or most of our troops home?

IMO from the military standpoint the milestone would be the Iraqi military being self sufficient in terms of operational capabilities, at the moment there are quite a few units that have reached this point, logisitcally our help is still needed but they can operate successfully on their own, probably about 50%, then there are others that still need a boot in rear. Even after a major drawdown though there will still be teams in country continuing to help the units develop and further their training. From the political standpoint, wel.... that ain't my bag baby:P I'll let the politicians work that one out;)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Holy shit! I just realized I posted this exact same question a little over two years ago, in December 2004: clicky

Reading the other thread, it seems not too much has changed.

Here's a quote from tunaplanet in that thread:

"Of course there's a plan. The US doesn't commit troops without an exit strategy. Just because they haven't came out and said verbatim what it is doesn't mean there isn't one."

Speed Racer

Then the UN stays and cleans up the crap. As usual.

You mean in places like Rwanda, Somalia, and the Balkans? Yeah, bang-up job so far...nothing done in Rwanda, or Somalia (are they even still there?), and NATO still commands the situation in the Balkans.

Still there, still getting busted for raping the locals... [:/]
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Still there, still getting busted for raping the locals...

I knew the US would have something in common with the UN. [:/]

Yeah, why don't you do a rate comparison between the two and get back to us on that.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How long would you like us to stay in Iraq?

And exactly what do you visualize would be the situation in Iraq that would allow us to leave?

Well we invaded other countries durning WWII and to this day, have never left. Military bases were established in Europe and the rest is history. I predict that we will never leave and that someday Baghdad will just be another billet to get filled when us service members are on the phone with the detailer, chosing orders!

What do you think sounds better???

Fort Baghdad

Naval Air Station Baghdad

Baghdad Air Force Base

Camp Baghdad

;)

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

A separate question. A co-worker of mine who I interact with on a daily basis (and actually like) lost his son in Iraq yesterday. My department is collecting donations to put towards a currently unknown gift for the family (something meaningful). Any good suggestions for a gift? And how about for reducing the awkwardness of working with him while he deals with his grief?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm sure sorry to hear that. I sure don't know what kind of gift would even come close to easing that kind of grief. My heart goes out to your co-worker and his family. As for easing the awkwardness, just let him know that you are there for him to help in any way I suppose.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I don't have a desire for us to stay there, but our presence will remain in that area for decades.

Thereby insuring that we'll be in a perpetual state of undeclared war.

(e) Your forces occupy our countries; you spread your military bases throughout them; you corrupt our lands, and you besiege our sanctities, ......
OBL (2002)
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/worldview/story/0,11581,845725,00.html