jakee

Problems I have with The Sacrifice and symbolism in christianity.

:D Happy Birthday, Steve! :D

I read the blog entry you referred to and found it enjoyable. I wanted to add a cross-reference (Heb. 1:3 !!!!!!!!!! :)

I have a "space" at LiveJournal.com. Very neat place, too.

Thanks for the good read.

Cannie
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

since we are bringing up Job..

WHO exactly tormented him??

please provide citations for your answers.. (of course Biblical references are allowed I AM asking in the context of the TEXT itself)

Who do you think? Job 2:7 So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head

might want to look at a few more translations prior to answering.... ;)

I guess you better enlighten me. I read 11 different translations including the Septuigent, and they all pointed to Satan (adversary)

steveOrino

they all pointed to Satan (adversary)

closer... now go look at the actual word(s) used.. then compare where/when and how it is very liberally interpreted to mean a "Title" (specific entity aka Satan for the Western need of a Dichotomic universe ) vs a 'position' (one who fulfills a duty/required task)

a fine example of how translators fit the words to the meaning they wish to express and ignore other equally valid options that might disrupt the orderly alignment of meaning they desire..

but of course there is 'no bias' in translators :S

look closer... now go look at the actual word(s) used.. then compare where/when and how it is very liberally interpreted to mean a "Title" (specific entity aka Satan for the Western need of a Dichotomic universe ) vs a 'position' (one who fulfills a duty/required task)

Do you really equate ancient Jewish writings with western thought?

steveOrino

no, but I do equate Western interpretations of those writings.

"Satan" (as an individual entity) is a relatively new interpretation...

So what did the eastern mindset of the Jew writer mean when he wrote "satan" (accuser). And how do you know that?

If you are referring to some Roman Catholic teachings that say Satan was an angel created by God for the purpose to temp man and give him a choice between good and evil, then I see your point, despite how invalid I believe that particular part of Roman Catholic theology to be. [:/]

steveOrino