warpedskydiver

Military Shows Off New Ray Gun

Military Shows Off New Ray Gun
Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:27 AM EST
The Associated Press
By ELLIOTT MINOR

MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. (AP) — The military calls its new weapon an "active denial system," but that's an understatement. It's a ray gun that shoots a beam that makes people feel as if they are about to catch fire.

Apart from causing that terrifying sensation, the technology is supposed to be harmless — a non-lethal way to get enemies to drop their weapons.

Military officials say it could save the lives of innocent civilians and service members in places like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The weapon is not expected to go into production until at least 2010, but all branches of the military have expressed interest in it, officials said.

During the first media demonstration of the weapon Wednesday, airmen fired beams from a large dish antenna mounted atop a Humvee at people pretending to be rioters and acting out other scenarios that U.S. troops might encounter in war zones.

The device's two-man crew located their targets through powerful lenses and fired beams from more than 500 yards away. That is nearly 17 times the range of existing non-lethal weapons, such as rubber bullets.

Anyone hit by the beam immediately jumped out of its path because of the sudden blast of heat throughout the body. While the 130-degree heat was not painful, it was intense enough to make the participants think their clothes were about to ignite.

"This is one of the key technologies for the future," said Marine Col. Kirk Hymes, director of the non-lethal weapons program at Quantico, Va., which helped develop the new weapon. "Non-lethal weapons are important for the escalation of force, especially in the environments our forces are operating in."

The system uses electromagnetic millimeter waves, which can penetrate only 1/64th of an inch of skin, just enough to cause discomfort. By comparison, microwaves used in the common kitchen appliance penetrate several inches of flesh.

The millimeter waves cannot go through walls, but they can penetrate most clothing, officials said. They refused to comment on whether the waves can go through glass.

The weapon could be mounted aboard ships, airplanes and helicopters, and routinely used for security or anti-terrorism operations.

"There should be no collateral damage to this," said Senior Airman Adam Navin, 22, of Green Bay, Wis., who has served several tours in Iraq.

Navin and two other airmen were role players in Wednesday's demonstration. They and 10 reporters who volunteered were shot with the beams. The beams easily penetrated various layers of winter clothing.

The system was developed by the military, but the two devices currently being evaluated were built by defense contractor Raytheon.

Airman Blaine Pernell, 22, of suburban New Orleans, said he could have used the system during his four tours in Iraq, where he manned watchtowers around a base near Kirkuk. He said Iraqis constantly pulled up and faked car problems so they could scout out U.S. forces.

"All we could do is watch them," he said. But if they had the ray gun, troops "could have dispersed them."

That's cool sh*t! No pun intended...;) Although, I would wonder how that would change rules of engagement in some scenarios. For example, restricting ROE with this technology, when far more aggressive measures need to be taken.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I could easily see this becoming the the modern equivalent to the fire hoses of the civil rights movement. Imagine police quelling protests with this thing in the USA.

I wonder if some tin foil would defeat this? I'll bet it would.....

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

A rifle with a 4X scope would suffice. Some AP 7.62.. or a 50 cal to really f that thing up.

I'm not sure that 'non-lethal' is the way to go in Iraq. "Evtremely fucking lethal" is my suggestion.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Non Lethal Directed Energy Weapons is a positive step forward. I believe when combined that they will provide an efficient first defense.

And where is this "Large Dish" going to go? Do we remove the lethal weapon system from one truck to make room for it in an already cramped turret? Im not going to go into the headaches this would cause. This thing will get destroyed pretty quick by IED shrapnel, then what are you left with? Besides our trucks are grossly over weight as it is by several thousand pounds. Do I sacrifice a counter IED system, an armor panel, extra water to accommodate it? hummmmm.

"Hey sergeant why the hell did you kill that guy digging in the mortar tube, don't you know that you're supposed to zap them with the ray so they can run off and try again later":S<------And trust me this will happen. I shot and killed a dog that was inches from digging into my leg. The squadron commander was pissed I didnt: Yell at the dog first, then shoot it with non-lethal, then ask the owner for permission to kill it. Sworn statements had to go all the way to Division over a fuckin rabid dog. That is whats happening over here.>:( And this is why after 11 years service I will be leaving the Army.

I can see it coming in handy for riot control on FOB perimeters and MOOTW operations. But keep it away from combat operations, at least until its not described as Large.

I tihnk its a great step forward, hope they can deploy these soon and maybe casualties in war zones could decline and it might improve the image of the West if we are being shot at with lethal weapons and retailitng with non lethal weapons.

"While the 130-degree heat was not painful, it was intense enough to make the participants think their clothes were about to ignite." ___________________________________________________Hope they ban turn up the thermostat. Them arabs/persians (whatever) been living in that kinda heat for centuries
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Look where you live dude. I work in the deserts of Southern Ca. sometimes. I've recorded 140F in the sun on my thermometers, 120F in the shade. All in the dress. (A Klinger special helps:P) I'm sure a sustained blast would fuck you up tho. Kinda like standing out in that kinda heat too long.

I see it as part of site hardening

I agree, I already said that.

stops anyone from studying the target directly

How so? with any weapon, Lethal or LTL there are rules to follow. You can't shoot it at someone standing on a street corner 300M away talking on a cell phone. Could he be studying you, yes. Do his actions show hostile intent, No.

Na. I already ordered some of THIS stuff to make a suit w/. One of hundreds of sites I found in a few mins. >PBI
• Trade Names Highly flame resistant
Outstanding comfort factor combined with thermal and chemical stability properties
Will not burn or melt
Low shrinkage, when exposed to flame.
Suitable for high-performance protective apparel such as firemen's turnout coats, astronaut space suits and applications where fire resistance is important ;) More waste of govt. money. No military application. They want to use it on the masses when the rebellions start.. Some of those WACO people needed some shit like this>:(