CameraNewbie

Why do Atheist/Unbelievers always clash heads with Christians?

Is it me or is it just the people here in SC that love to expend their energy, more like waste their energy, in debating with Christians about their bibles, belief in jesus, god, heaven and hell? IMO I stand strong in what I don't want to/wish to not believe in. I don't go around wasting my time/energy asking inane questions or debating with those that have blind faith.

I work in the city and I encounter hundreds of emotionally disturbed individuals in the street. Do I start asking them why they believe that they're from Mars or why they believe that the world is coming to an end today? NO. What do I do? I simply walk across the street to avoid them and go about my business.

Therefore, why would anyone here that is an Atheist/Unbeliever want to be curious or argue points about things that don't exist or things that they don't believe in? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I'd rather stand strong in what I don't want to believe in and concentrate in what I do believe in this life such as, money, beer, skydiving, picking up chicks every night and getting laid!
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

Atheists also clash heads with orthodox Jews and devout Muslims. It's just that the majority religion in the world's English-speaking countries is Christianity.

Yes, I know that doesn't fully address what you're asking, but I thought I'd mention it.

OK, so why clash heads with any theist? Well, in this particular forum, it’s a forum for debate, so this is a logical place to do it in. Thus, you’ll see it a lot in here, just as you’ll see debates over politics, guns, etc.

In the real world, most atheists would simply like to be left alone, not debate religion, and not have theism be in their sight-lines and earshot; but the way society is, the practical reality is that one is bombarded by theism constantly, even if people don’t really mean to do it. Atheists tend to be more hyper-aware of it than others, just as, for example, vegetarians tend to be more hyper-aware than meat-eaters of how few palatable meatless offerings there are on the menus of restaurants.

concentrate in what I do believe in this life such as, money, beer, skydiving, picking up chicks every night and getting laid!

so if this thread ISN'T a faith-bash, then what is it intended to be, a thread about the objectification of women and people that believe in really shallow and self serving goals?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Atheists also clash heads with orthodox Jews and devout Muslims. It's just that the majority religion in the world's English-speaking countries is Christianity.

Yes, I know that doesn't fully address what you're asking, but I thought I'd mention it.

OK, so why clash heads with any theist? Well, in this particular forum, it’s a forum for debate, so this is a logical place to do it in. Thus, you’ll see it a lot in here, just as you’ll see debates over politics, guns, etc.

In the real world, most atheists would simply like to be left alone, not debate religion, and not have theism be in their sight-lines and earshot; but the way society is, the practical reality is that one is bombarded by theism constantly, even if people don’t really mean to do it. Atheists tend to be more hyper-aware of it than others, just as, for example, vegetarians tend to be more hyper-aware than meat-eaters of how few palatable meatless offerings there are on the menus of restaurants.

Additionally, one doesn't come across any Evangelical Jews trying to thrust their religion down the throats of others or to get their hang-ups enshrined into law.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Atheists tend to be more hyper-aware of it than others, just as, for example, vegetarians tend to be more hyper-aware than meat-eaters of how few palatable meatless offerings there are on the menus of restaurants.

You can have an omellette, or maybe the vegetable soup. I think the soup's got chicken stock in it though:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Additionally, most Hindus and Buddhists are quite humble regarding their beliefs. They don't feel the need to tell the world what they believe or, better yet, to save them.

I think most of any religion are - and that includes christians. My christian housemates (even the really devout one) have never felt the need to try and convert me, neither has my catholic gf.

The outspoken christian fundamentalists are still just a small minority of the faith as a whole. I'm sure if I lived in India there would be plenty of high profile devout Hindu's trying to tell me how to live.:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Additionally, one doesn't come across any Evangelical Jews trying to thrust their religion down the throats of others or to get their hang-ups enshrined into law.

Persecution Complex / Victimology mindset?

I will second that (about just fundies being evangelical).

I don't think you're apt to find many evangelical Hindus as the religion doesn't really promote that. However, they do have some truly retarded concepts and the way they tried teaching me when I was fifteen is what drove me away from religion in the first place.
This ad space for sale.

guys - I thought this thread was about childish self gratification, and expressly not about faith bashing....:S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd rather stand strong in what I don't want to believe in and concentrate in what I do believe in this life such as, money, beer, skydiving, picking up chicks every night and getting laid!

I think, you're on the right track!:D
Seriously... I have my beliefs and I don't care to have some zealot try to shove their ideas down my throat. Christian, atheist or otherwise. I believe in treating others the way I would like to be treated. I don't believe that the wealthy can buy their way into heaven. It's true... you can't take it with you! Ever see a hearse with a luggage rack? I Think, folks should be allowed to have their beliefs... just don't try to convert me. If, I want to be converted... I'll look you up! I believe in the satisfaction of a hard day's work and earning your keep. I believe in treating folks fairly and 'you reap what you sow'. It works!:D

Chuck

I'd rather stand strong in what I don't want to believe in and concentrate in what I do believe in this life such as, money, beer, skydiving, picking up chicks every night and getting laid!

Seriously... I have my beliefs and I don't care to have some zealot try to shove their ideas down my throat. Christian, atheist or otherwise. I believe in treating others the way I would like to be treated. I don't believe that the wealthy can buy their way into heaven. It's true... you can't take it with you! Ever see a hearse with a luggage rack? I Think, folks should be allowed to have their beliefs... just don't try to convert me. If, I want to be converted... I'll look you up! I believe in the satisfaction of a hard day's work and earning your keep. I believe in treating folks fairly and 'you reap what you sow'. It works!:D

Chuck

Good way to live. You might consider "treat others the way they would want to be treated". Of course, that's very hard with some people.

Chuck

Good way to live. You might consider "treat others the way they would want to be treated". Of course, that's very hard with some people.

Yessir! I would think, most folks would just like to be treated decently and fair and square. I just ain't into no kinky shit! :D:D

Chuck

Well, good luck with that. But making Christian-bashing posts in SC probably won't help you with any of those things. ;)

Personally, I like to know what others believe and why - that's why I read and participate in some of the religion threads.

I believe in the satisfaction of a hard day's work and earning your keep.

Nicely stated.

of course, the irony there is you are responding to a poster who's occupation is listed as "unemployment collector"

I admit, I did kneejerk to his rather childish list of beliefs instead of 'live and let live'. I'll assume it's a kid and I wasn't much different then either.

Why is it that either you're a Christian or an athiest/unbeliever?
Jews, Druids, Bhuddists, Muslims, Native Americans, Hindi's, Confucians, Jains, Taoists, Sikhs, Wiccans, Druzists, Gnostics, Zoastrians, don't fall into the category of "Christian,"and they certainly aren't athiest. Not to mention that they represent by FAR the greatest slice of world population. Christianity's numbers are significantly down the list from many of these religions.

Why is it that either you're a Christian or an athiest/unbeliever?
Jews, Druids, Bhuddists, Muslims, Native Americans, Hindi's, Confucians, Jains, Taoists, Sikhs, Wiccans, Druzists, Gnostics, Zoastrians, don't fall into the category of "Christian,"and they certainly aren't athiest. Not to mention that they represent by FAR the greatest slice of world population. Christianity's numbers are significantly down the list from many of these religions.

Was that reply "in reply to kallend" directed to me specifically? Or to the forum in general?