steveorino

Honest questions for God

I'm reminded of the Apsotle Peter's admonishment to always be ready to give an account for our faith, but to do so with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15)

So we don't get bogged down on the word "respect", perhaps it would be productive to focus on the concept of "gentleness".
I'm in the business of persuasion for a living. I've found that while stridency may very well draw a clear line in the sand, gentleness - even though it can be a bit fuzzy - is sometimes more effective at persuasion, or at the very least holding one's audience.

I agree with Steve and I'm not trying to be offensive. However, I do feel the need to warn people of what's ahead. Romans didn't sugar coat reality and neither will I. If you saw a blind man walking toward a cliff unaware that he was about to die a horrible death, would you try and warn him? Would you take the time to befriend him before explaining to him that he's about to go over the cliff? Would you speak softly so you'd be sure an not offend him. Maybe you'd give him a set of headphones and a radio so he'd just enjoy his walk better and hope he'd make a course correction. Or, if you knew he was about to die a horrible death, would you shout at him, shake him by the shoulders to get his attention, and plead with him not to continue on his path of destruction? If you know that there's a hell, how could a person who cares at all about others not pass along what they know? One should always be respectul and as gentle as possible, however, the truth has to be told as it is. If Jesus, Peter, and Paul expressed it in this way, so should we all.

Jesus taught differently to different people because people learn differently. By limiting the way in which you preach, you are limiting the people that will learn from you. (This same principle goes for teachers.)

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul.
Psalm 19:7

The purpose of the Law is to show the sinner of his sinfulness. The Law is like a mirror that you look into which shows you a reflection of your soul. Paul said he didn't know what sin was before he was shown the Law.

But we know that the law is good if it used lawfully for the purpose for which it was designed.
1 Timothy 1:8

What purpose is that?

The law was not made for a righteous man but for sinners.
1 Timothy 1:9

It appeals to the conscience. Those who leave out the realities of hell, judgment, and punishment should be charged with malpractice just like a physician. Until a person is convinced of the sickness, they will not appreciate or appropriate the cure. The Law brings about this realization.

Jesus taught differently to different people because people learn differently. By limiting the way in which you preach, you are limiting the people that will learn from you. (This same principle goes for teachers.)

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul.
Psalm 19:7

The purpose of the Law is to show the sinner of his sinfulness. The Law is like a mirror that you look into which shows you a reflection of your soul. Paul said he didn't know what sin was before he was shown the Law.

But we know that the law is good if it used lawfully for the purpose for which it was designed.
1 Timothy 1:8

What purpose is that?

The law was not made for a righteous man but for sinners.
1 Timothy 1:9

It appeals to the conscience. Those who leave out the realities of hell, judgment, and punishment should be charged with malpractice just like a physician. Until a person is convinced of the sickness, they will not appreciate or appropriate the cure. The Law brings about this realization.

It does a person no good to know the rules if they don't believe in the rule maker. That is what this country is founded upon.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Christianity is radically and completely different from any other religion on the planet that you might follow or even make up for yourself.

Are you serious?!? Christianity is no where near different from any other religion on the planet. The Mormon religion is based on Christianity. Islam is practically based on the Old Testament, they even believe Jesus was a prophet, just not the son of god. Christianity is not special in any way. The Jewish religion was even based off origianl Christianity, they just didn't believe Jesus was their savior, they wanted a warrior not a passovist. P.S. If Chuck Norris was Jesus, he would have kicked ass for our sins, not died like a pussy.B|
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread but how many are part of Christian Skydivers Association? Quite a few that I know that display the patches on their gear or fly the flag.....just curious.

My random 2 pennies is that this world and day to day is filled with so much negativity....why not strive to be positive and look for the good things out there...and if believing in God and proclaiming your faith in God makes you feel complete then DO IT! and if it makes a difference in the life of another...DO IT!

Christianity is radically and completely different from any other religion on the planet that you might follow or even make up for yourself.

Are you serious?!? Christianity is no where near different from any other religion on the planet. The Mormon religion is based on Christianity. Islam is practically based on the Old Testament, they even believe Jesus was a prophet, just not the son of god. Christianity is not special in any way. The Jewish religion was even based off origianl Christianity, they just didn't believe Jesus was their savior, they wanted a warrior not a passovist. P.S. If Chuck Norris was Jesus, he would have kicked ass for our sins, not died like a pussy.B|

OOOhhh nooo !!! you are soooo lost son...what happened ? Poor thing :(
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

I think humans have religion wrong for the most part.

I believe all the paths lead to the One God in their own way.

As long as you believe in the One God, whatever way you believe in him, and thank him for everything bestowed upon this earth, then you are following the correct path(s).

I also believe that teaching against other religions, and speaking hate against other religions, is not the proper way.

I visited my Grandparents Freewill Baptist Church once, and the pastor was preaching against Islam (saying Islam was what was wrong with the world, and needed to be stopped). You can't tell me that wasn't preaching hate.

I am experiencing and reading about hate against Christianity everyday that I am here in Iraq.

Who are we as humans to decide which path is the correct path? We can believe our path will lead us to heaven, but cannot tell others their path will not...if we tell others that, we are trying to judge them and their ways based on our own beliefs (the exception being intentional crimes against others).

The Bible and Koran are both written by humans, and translated by humans, which means they are both fallible due to the human touch (although make good GUIDES).

Just my opinion on the subject.
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil...For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
SR-71 hangar entrance sign at Kadena AFB, Japan

Because sin is "exceedingly sinful" in the eyes of God. If I raped and murdered your mother or wife, would you consider that to be wrong and deserving of punishment? How much punishment? How much more so do you think even what you would consider a minor infraction offends an infinitely holy & just God? Whether you agree with it or not, it is there. It is where God will send all lawbreakers. It's reasonable and just.

If someone harmed my wife then yes I would personally wish to inflict tremendous suffering and would act upon that wish if I could. But that is probably because I am a mere human subject to our petty flaws like the gut desire for vengeance when wronged. I expect that god to be able to act with more restraint.

“It is because God’s wrath is real that His mercy is relevant. Unless you have a real wrath, a real anger, the Biblical concepts of long-suffering, of mercy, and of grace are robbed of their meaning.”
--Ravi Zacharias

You are losing me on this. I appreciate your willingness to try to explain this but the rationale is going over my head. Maybe if you could try to explain to me in laymens terms why some of the lesser sins (gluttony, jealousy..etc) might deserve hell. I guess I cannot get over the bit about the suffering being eternal. I do not undertsand scripture so please explain in simple terms why he needs to keep a soul suffering for an eternity. If hell is actually a lake of fire then obviously every second is horrific agony. After five trillion centuries of suffering (for acts committed during 65-85 years of life) is there not an argument that a loving god might simply end the suffering? If he still will not let them into heaven than can he not simply end thier misery after having made his point by torching them for a few millenia?

why is it that the suicides are the only ones guaranteed to go.

There is no Biblical basis for this. The Bible is very silent on the issue. I believe there are instances where one could possibly be forgiven suicide.

Rather glad to hear this. I know 2 people who have done this and while neither one was a saint they were genuinely good people who were always kind to others and who just made a tragic choice at a time of tremendous suffering. I hate to think that they are suffering right now in pain when it was unbearable pain they were trying to escape.

What criteria would have to have been met for them too have committed suicide and not get sent to hell?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I'd ask him why he was such an attention seeking egotistical fucktard.

God created us so he could love us and for us to love him back. He's only asking to receive the same love that he's giving you. That's a fair trade!

"Ooooo look at me, i'm God, everyone must believe in me and do things my way or else."

God only expects one thing out of you. To believe that his Son is your Lord and Savior, that he died for your sins, he was resurrected 3 days later and to ask for forgiveness. He's not asking you to pull a rabbit out of your ass or something that will take years of your life to accomplish. That's actually 4 things but it's said in one breath. :ph34r:

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Having read many of your posts in many threads it appears as though more people are turned away by your preaching than are turned towards.

Paj means very well. His heart is in the right place. He really does care enough about you to go the extra mile. Believe it or not, even though Paj doesn't know you, he loves you enough to share God's love for you.

There is more to your God than judgement, Heaven, and Hell

You couldn't be more right my friend. Most Christians preach too much about Judgement, heaven and hell. There's not enough discussion on his love and forgiveness. I prefer to focus more on the latter.

The Jewish religion was even based off origianl Christianity, they just didn't believe Jesus was their savior, they wanted a warrior not a passovist.

Which is exactly why God sent down his only Son to be a passovist. People were killing eachother, hating eachother, and stealing from one another.

P.S. If Chuck Norris was Jesus, he would have kicked ass for our sins, not died like a pussy.

It's more to it than dying like a female private part. It was his calling. It's the reason why he was sent to earth. His blood and his blood alone would symbolically wash away our sins. He died for you and me, before he even knew us. Now, that's LOVE!

I visited my Grandparents Freewill Baptist Church once, and the pastor was preaching against Islam (saying Islam was what was wrong with the world, and needed to be stopped). You can't tell me that wasn't preaching hate.

Non-denominational churches which the people have a "Relationship with Jesus through their hearts would never say such things. I'm not going to judge other religions out there or other Christian denominations. Jesus wants us to love one another. Everyone around the world is loved by God. Christian or not, to hate someone or a group for what they believe in or what religion they are is a no no. Don't you worry friend, people who have hate in their heart will have an unpleasant surprise waiting for them come judgement day.

I doubt it but you have my permission to carry on believing as you wish.

You are way too kind Sir. You're a blessing from your Atheist God.:S

Oh, and as for the Rabit... I'm quite happy to leave it there

IMHO if you pulled that rabbit out of your ass, you could change your :o to an :)

OOOhhh nooo !!! you are soooo lost son...what happened ? Poor thing :(

Sorry, I was a little drunk when I wrote that:$
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How could you possibly know if I'm doing God a disservice? Where do you get your information from?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having read many of your posts in many threads it appears as though more people are turned away by your preaching than are turned towards. If the goal is to turn more people towards than away then your preaching would be considered a disservice.

If the message from Christ, as written is the Gospels, doesn't convince people to follow him, how can the message, delivered by mere humans, regardless of their personality, accomplish the task?

The fact is that the message of Christ isn't about being a mealy mouthed, nice guy.

It's about you[ all mankind] not standing a sinner's chance in hell of making it into heaven on their own accord. You need a savior, a mediator, an advocate.

So here's my question to Jesus. If you went back to earth and spoke to every unbeliever face to face, would they believe in you then?

God only expects one thing out of you Christians. that his Son is your Lord and Savior, that he died for your sins, he was resurrected 3 days later

Fixed it.
Christianity certainly isn't the only religion that believes that its particular theology is The One And Only True Religion, but it is certainly among those that do.

Which is exactly why God sent down his only Son to be a pacifist. People were killing eachother, hating each other, and stealing from one another.

Good thing that's been taken care of so much better than all the other religions do.

It's about you[ all mankind] not standing a sinner's chance in hell of making it into heaven on their own accord. You need a savior, a mediator, an advocate.

What do ya’ll think of this –

I have heard it said that if you have 2 persons, 1 an Atheist and 1 a Christian and both of them come across someone in need of help and both of them render aid:

If the Christian rendered aide just to earn more brownie points to get into heaven and the Atheist rendered aide just because it is the right thing to do, then the Atheist is the better person.

What do ya’ll think of this –

I have heard it said that if you have 2 persons, 1 an Atheist and 1 a Christian and both of them come across someone in need of help and both of them render aid:

If the Christian rendered aide just to earn more brownie points to get into heaven and the Atheist rendered aide just because it is the right thing to do, then the Atheist is the better person.

That would presume that the religious motivation for good works is principally mercenary. I don't believe that's the case.