skydemon2

Imigrunts...

From the L.A. Times

1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County ( L.A. County has 10.2 million people)
are working for cash and not paying taxes. This was because they are
predominantly illegal immigrants, working without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal alien
Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by taxpayers.

5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers
are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles
are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L.A. County 5.1 million people speak English.
3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L.A. County).

(All the above from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops,
but 29% are on welfare.

Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth
(and over 90% of California , Florida , and New York )
results from immigration.

The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was,
(after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), a NET $70 BILLION/
year, [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University ]. The lifetime
fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average
adult Mexican immigrant is a NEGATIVE number.

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

If they can come to this country to raise Hell and demonstrate by
the thousands, WHY can't they take charge over the corruption
in their own country?

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue.

THE U.S. VS MEXICO

On February 15, 1998, the U.S. and Mexican soccer teams met at the Los Angeles Coliseum. The crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Mexican even though most lived in this country. They booed during the National Anthem and U.S. flags were held upside down. As the match progressed, supporters of the U.S. team were insulted, pelted with projectiles, punched and spat upon. Beer and trash were thrown at the U.S. players before and after the match. The coach of the U.S. team, Steve Sampson said, "This was the most painful experience I have ever had in this
profession."

Did you know that immigrants from Mexico and other non-European countries can come to this country and get preferences in jobs, education, and government contracts. It's called affirmative action or racial privilege. The Emperor of Japan or the President of Mexico could migrate here and immediately be eligible for special rights unavailable for Americans of European descent.

Corporate America has signed on to the idea that minorities and third world immigrants should get special, privileged status. Some examples are Exxon, Texaco, Merrill Lynch, Boeing, Paine Weber, Starbucks and many more.

DID YOU KNOW?

Did you know . that Mexico regularly intercedes on the side
of the defense in criminal cases involving Mexican nationals?

Did you know . that Mexico has NEVER extradited a Mexican
national accused of murder in the U.S. in spite of agreements to do so?

According to the L.A. Times, Orange County , California is home to 275 gangs with 17,000 members, 98% of which are Mexican and Asian.
How's your county doing?

According to a New York Times article dated May 19, 1994, 20 years after the great influx of legal immigrants from Southeast Asia, 30% are still on welfare compared to 8% of households nationwide. A Wall Street Journal editorial dated December 5, 1994 quotes law enforcement officials as stating that Asian mobsters are the "greatest criminal challenge the country faces." Not bad for a group that is still under 5% of the population.

Is education important to you? Here are the words of a teacher who spent over 20 years in the Los Angeles School system. "Imagine teachers in classes containing 30-40 students of widely varying attention spans and motivation, many of whom aren't fluent in English. Educators seek learning materials likely to reach the majority of students and that means fewer words and math problems and more pictures and multicultural references."

WHEN I WAS YOUNG

I remember hearing about the immigrants that came through Ellis Island. They wanted to learn English. They wanted to breathe free. They wanted to become Americans. Now, far too many immigrants come here with demands. They demand to be taught in their own language. They demand special privileges ... affirmative action. They demand ethnic studies that glorify
their culture.
------------------------------------------------------------
I wrote none of this but it is interesting
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was,
(after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), a NET $70 BILLION/
year, [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University ]. The lifetime
fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average
adult Mexican immigrant is a NEGATIVE number.

The net effect of immigration is hugely positive. http://www.nap.edu/books/0309059984/html/index.html explains it, and the trappings of how the numbers can be tabulated.

Looking at 1st gen adults includes the elderly / infirm and discounts the effect of children and families continuing to grow and thrive in the country past the 1st generation.

Looking at the initial points of ingress is also misleading (such as LA), for it overrepresents the costs and underrepresents the benefits--most immigrants have tended to move on past the initial point of ingress after the 1st generation, and the 1st generation is where most of the temporary cost imbalance arises.

Think about it for a second, the vast majority of the country is of immigrant stock. Unless you're claiming that native americans drive the economy, you cannot escape that immigrants drive this country and its economy. What's left is to suggest that future immigrants are any different from the old ones...and I see no reason to believe so.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

From the Public Policy Institute of California, 2005 figures, www.ppic.org

1. Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the United States.
With just over 10 million residents, LA County has almost twice as many people as second-place Cook County, Illinois, and almost three times as many as third-place Harris County, Texas. Its population exceeds that of 44 states.

2. LA County has one of the most diverse populations in the world.
Latinos are the largest racial/ethnic group in the county, comprising 47 percent of the population in 2003. Whites comprised 30 percent of the population, Asians 12 percent, African Americans 9 percent, people of more than one race 1 percent, and all others 1 percent. In 2003, LA County was home to 3 percent of the nation’s population, but 17 percent of the nation’s Koreans, 14 percent of Mexicans (12% of all Latinos), 14 percent of Filipinos, 13 percent of Chinese, and 13 percent of Japanese. Over half of the county’s residents (56%) speak a language other than English at home.

3. After a decade of slow growth, LA County population growth rates have rebounded.
The county gained over 600,000 residents between 2000 and 2004, growing at an annual rate of 1.5 percent. In the 1990s, the county grew at an annual rate of less than 1 percent (0.7%), due primarily to large outflows of the county’s residents. During that time, the Asian population had the fastest growth rates and Latinos the greatest numerical increase, while the non-Hispanic white population declined substantially. The 1990s were the first decade since the 1850s in which New York City experienced higher growth rates than Los Angeles.

4. Immigration and natural increase account for LA County’s population growth.
In 2003, more than one in every three LA County residents (36%) was foreign-born. The majority of those residents were not citizens of the United States (41% of the foreign-born were naturalized citizens). Between 2000 and 2004, natural increase – the excess of births over deaths – added 374,000 new residents to LA County, and immigration led to an increase of 366,000. The county continued to lose people to other parts of California and other states, with a net loss of 139,000 people due to domestic migration.

5. Poverty and income disparity are high in LA County.
The county is home to 28 percent of California's population but 34 percent of California's poor. With 16 percent of its population living in poverty, LA County has substantially higher poverty rates than the rest of the state (12%). At the same time, 4 percent of LA County families have incomes of $200,000 or more, a share similar to that of the rest of the state.

6. LA County has the most registered voters in the state but ranks average in voter turnout.
Nearly 4 million of LA County adults are registered to vote – over 2.5 million more than the counties with the next largest numbers of registered voters (San Diego and Orange). Seventy percent of eligible adults in LA County are registered to vote. Among California’s 58 counties, LA County’s voter turnout in the November 2004 general election ranked 33rd as a percentage of registered voters (78%), a higher level of participation than in San Diego (76%) and Orange (73%) Counties.

7. LA County is one of the most Democratic in the state.
About half of registered voters (51%) are Democrats, 27 percent are Republicans, and 18 percent are decline-to-state. In November 2000, 53 percent were Democrats, 28 percent were Republicans, and 14 percent were decline-to-state. In the November 2004 general election, LA County voters favored Democratic candidate John F. Kerry over George W. Bush (63% to 36%), while voters in the rest of the state favored Kerry over Bush by a smaller margin (54% to 44%).
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I'm reading a book now about the history of beer brewing in America. Interesting stuff. When the first german brewery pioneers came over (Schlitz, Best, Anheuser, Blatz, Busch) they were vilified. Some of them didn't even speak english! And they were selling this lager crap. It's a MELTING POT! Why the hell didn't they melt? Americans drank whiskey, not lager! They even had the nerve to name one of their early products after a german village - Budweis. Can you imagine anything less american than a bohemian lager, brewed by germans, named after a german town, that went contrary to what every other brewer and distiller of the time was making? No wonder all germans were drunks and spent all their time in beer gardens (and making the vile stuff) instead of working for a living!

Every generation wants to be the last ones in. Fortunately every generation fails in their efforts to slam the door.

(Schlitz, Best, Anheuser, Blatz, Busch) they were vilified.

As they should have been! We should have sent them away and encouraged Samuel Smith or that beautiful genius who invented Guinness to immigrate! Maybe then we'd have Taddy Porter on tap in every bar in the country instead of Budweiser. :D

FallRate

Budweis is actually the German name for the Czech city of Budejovice. The region has been in both German and Austrian hands but is Czech. The town has had a significant German minority since the middle ages until the Adolf with the funny moustache came around. The original Budweiser beer is brewed here. The American version is actually just a copy. I don’t know about supply in the US but anyone interested in beer (that probably means everyone ;)) should test some Czech lagers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cesk%C3%A9_Bud%C4%9Bjovice

Think about it for a second, the vast majority of the country is of immigrant stock. Unless you're claiming that native americans drive the economy, you cannot escape that immigrants drive this country and its economy. What's left is to suggest that future immigrants are any different from the old ones...and I see no reason to believe so.

I agree. What most people fail to note is that up until about 15 years ago, the overwhelming majority of immigrants who became citizens, did so through the proper chanels! That's the kicker. Legal immigrants and illegal aliens are two distinctly different groups... the later being criminals by their presence in this country.

I'm reading a book now about the history of beer brewing in America. Interesting stuff. When the first german brewery pioneers came over (Schlitz, Best, Anheuser, Blatz, Busch) they were vilified. Some of them didn't even speak english! And they were selling this lager crap. It's a MELTING POT! Why the hell didn't they melt? Americans drank whiskey, not lager! They even had the nerve to name one of their early products after a german village - Budweis. Can you imagine anything less american than a bohemian lager, brewed by germans, named after a german town, that went contrary to what every other brewer and distiller of the time was making? No wonder all germans were drunks and spent all their time in beer gardens (and making the vile stuff) instead of working for a living!

Every generation wants to be the last ones in. Fortunately every generation fails in their efforts to slam the door.

Holy crap! I think my mother bought me the same book for my birthday!:o Ambitious Brew or something like that.

It talks about how they began to brew Bohemian Pilsners using adjuncts (corn and/or rice) as early as the 1870s.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

through the proper chanels

I can remember a number of illegal alien amnesty programs beginning in the 1970's (when I worked for the food stamp office, and it was a significant issue for us). Maybe because I'm in Houston, but I think that illegal immigration has been with us as long as the long border and unequal standards of living and opportunity.

But now with increased security, people can't go back and forth as easily, so they stay, hunker down, and bring family up, instead of just working and sending money home.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

through the proper chanels

I can remember a number of illegal alien amnesty programs beginning in the 1970's (when I worked for the food stamp office, and it was a significant issue for us). Maybe because I'm in Houston, but I think that illegal immigration has been with us as long as the long border and unequal standards of living and opportunity.

But now with increased security, people can't go back and forth as easily, so they stay, hunker down, and bring family up, instead of just working and sending money home.

Wendy W.

IMO, the reason this is such a big issue has to do with the number of illegals entering the US each year. These numbers have dramatically increased in recent years.

Although I admired Reagan, his Amnesty program was a major screwup.

The history of beer is quite interesting. Those that brought their brews from Germany were 'Legal' immigrants. I keep seeing a confusion between 'legal' and 'illegal' immigrants. Noone's picking on the 'legals'.
Just a note and you probably knew this... Anheuser-Busch, was the first brewery to use referigerated rail cars to ship their product to the Western States.
FWIW

Chuck

I keep seeing a confusion between 'legal' and 'illegal' immigrants.

What you have is confusion over the statutory and actual incidence of immigration. Statutory distinctions are not particularly helpful, imo, because they obscure the actual effects of immigration (legal or otherwise) on economics, on demographics etc.

Before the 1920s there was much less restriction on immigration. There was very little legal or illegal, there were just people arriving on the shores. The laws that have been passed since then don't preempt the reasons that people come here, they just interfere with figuring out cause and effect. That makes the period up until the 1920's very attractive to study, because the laws weren't getting in the way as much.

Historically and presently, imo, most of the anti-immigration tripe you see is patent xenophobia. It's unpatriotic, it demonstrates ignorance of our country's history and active malice towards factors that directly contribute to our country's future greatness.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Historically and presently, imo, most of the anti-immigration tripe you see is patent xenophobia. It's unpatriotic, it demonstrates ignorance of our country's history and active malice towards factors that directly contribute to our country's future greatness.

What a gem. :)

There was very little legal or illegal, there were just people arriving on the shores.

This one's also a beauty. Perhaps you should read up on the history of immigration. Ever heard of the "anti-coolie act"? Are you familiar with Castle Garden or Ellis Island?

Once again, I see the use of 'immigrant' rather than 'illegal immigrant'. I am in favor of legal immigration. Yes, it's good, it's great! I'm just tired of the sneakin' illegals who cross our borders and we don't know shit about them. They join gangs, they damage property getting into this country they take good jobs away from U.S. Citizens for lower pay and etc. They are stealing 'legal' immigration and they need to be dealt with. I know many, 3rd., 5th. generation people of Mexican descent who are citizens of the United States, who feel the same way I do and who are mad about the fact that more isn't done about 'ILLEGAL' immigrants! Those folks are mad because of the insults 'they' recieve because of the 'illegal' immigrants. I've been around the situation and have seen it first hand. Whatever happened in the 1920's, was a different time in our history. We also, weren't getting as crowded as we are today. This, is a whole new ball game.

Chuck

You missed the point. He made a couple statements and then started vigorous name calling to avoid any constructive debate.

It's much easier than arguing the merits of today's context vs the appropriate and inappropriate forms of immigration and its positive and negative tradeoffs in today's world.

Today, that means he won because you are supposed to back down to the potential threat of being misrepresented as a 'bad person' by the name calling tactic.

You forgot the back down portion. Please attend a social sensitivity session and come back when you are ready to play by the new rules.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

they take good jobs away from U.S. Citizens

Case in point, that's an ill-informed remark. When hordes of laborers throng across the border, who do you think gets hired to manage them?

This paper analyzes the effect of immigrant nannies on wage income on natives.

Brush up on your Spanish. B|

mad about the fact that more isn't done about 'ILLEGAL' immigrants

Many of the problems are caused by the laws themselves. Our immigration laws are damaging to our economy and to our society. Illegal immigrants are people too, much the same as people who already live here. They suffer many of the same trappings of crime and poverty as existing residents. Would you favor deporting the poor?

Whatever happened in the 1920's, was a different time in our history.

That's an unsupportable conclusion. Economics applies the same to that time period as today. There are different demographics, different incomes, different politics and different technologies today, but that does not disqualify the economics. Well I suppose the politics will cause some people to just shut off their minds, but such people are ignorant.

You missed the point. He made a couple statements and then started vigorous name calling to avoid any constructive debate.

It's much easier than arguing the merits of today's context vs the appropriate and inappropriate forms of immigration and its positive and negative tradeoffs in today's world.

Today, that means he won because you are supposed to back down to the potential threat of being misrepresented as a 'bad person' by the name calling tactic.

You forgot the back down portion. Please attend a social sensitivity session and come back when you are ready to play by the new rules.

Aw, crap! I'll report back!:D

Chuck

they take good jobs away from U.S. Citizens

Case in point, that's an ill-informed remark. When hordes of laborers throng across the border, who do you think gets hired to manage them?

This paper analyzes the effect of immigrant nannies on wage income on natives.

Brush up on your Spanish. B|

mad about the fact that more isn't done about 'ILLEGAL' immigrants

Many of the problems are caused by the laws themselves. Our immigration laws are damaging to our economy and to our society. Illegal immigrants are people too, much the same as people who already live here. They suffer many of the same trappings of crime and poverty as existing residents. Would you favor deporting the poor?

Whatever happened in the 1920's, was a different time in our history.

That's an unsupportable conclusion. Economics applies the same to that time period as today. There are different demographics, different incomes, different politics and different technologies today, but that does not disqualify the economics. Well I suppose the politics will cause some people to just shut off their minds, but such people are ignorant.

I don't know where you get your information but, come down here and live for awhile on the Southwest Border! That bullshit about 'illegals' taking only minnimum wage jobs is just that... bullshit! Big business has bought-off the politicians to get what they want and make their wallets even fatter and the hell with the rest. Check-out the big auto makers up North where you are. Check-out the good paying jobs, such as construction and the like. Then, come-back and tell me how many of those high-paid workers are Hispanic! The way it works is, they get a ride across the border and straight to Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago, Millwaukee and etc. They don't want the veggi-picking jobs... they want what you and everyone else wants... the big bucks. Many of the supervisors are Spanish speakers so, no problema. If, you'd quit reading the biased crap that is written on the subject and get out into the 'world' and see for yourself, you just might see, how it really is.

Chuck