jumper03

I'm all for allowing hunting and guns...

What is the point? The same joy can be established by setting up a range in the middle of the woods, setting up the rifle in the right direction, and when the blind person pulls the trigger, exclaim that he/she "got it" and drag a pre-shot animal infront of him and make em' and let them think they shot it.

At least that way they wont have the possiblilty of shooting something that may pop up at the last second after the "sighted compainion" decided its OK to fire.

I seriously hope this bill gets shot down.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Isnt there a special discipline for people with impaired vision in the, erm, special olympics? (is that the right term - I dont mean to sound patronising)

I think it is a pretty competitive sport, not so sure of hunting though :S Target shooting yes, hunting animals. I think not

setting up a range in the middle of the woods, setting up the rifle in the right direction, and when the blind person pulls the trigger, exclaim that he/she "got it" and drag a pre-shot animal infront of him and make em' and let them think they shot it.

you're not thinking cheap enough.

Since they are that dumb, you have more options

1 - just meet them in their living room
2 - hand them a broom handle and tell them to squeeze the handle when you say go
3 - say 'go', yell "BANG" in their ear and punch them in the shoulder. Exclaim "nice shot"
4 - have the store deliver a case of dog food in 6 to 8 weeks

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

JohnRich looked up the actual statute (as a hunter and gun person in Texas, of course he would :)Bonfire thread. The statute allows legally blind who can be assisted by a laser sight to use them, when appropriate assistance is also provided by a sighted person (no Jim-Bob, that's a cow, not a deer).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

JohnRich looked up the actual statute (as a hunter and gun person in Texas, of course he would :)Bonfire thread.

Thank you for inserting the reference, dear Wendy.

But you're going to spoil everyone's fun, who are having their way saying how blind people, Texan's, and hunters are so stupid.

Allowing a laser for people with poor vision is a good idea. I think lasers should be OK for anyone. If it means less chance of an off target bullet, it's a good thing.

But my lighted crosshairs are good enough for me....

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

JohnRich looked up the actual statute (as a hunter and gun person in Texas, of course he would :)

I nominate your post for the Dropzone.com Understatement Of The Year Award.:P

Actually, I've only rarely gone hunting in my life. Mostly I'm an active target shooter. And shooting is just one of about five hobbies upon which I spend my spare time, where skydiving is primary. So it's really not much of a so-called "understatement" after all.

I've seen a whole lot more "where I went hiking" than "where I went hunting" or "what I shot and ate" threads from John.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've seen a whole lot more "where I went hiking" than "where I went hunting" or "what I shot and ate" threads from John.

Wendy W.

stop it - they are all very comfortable with the pigeonhole they've place JR in

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

no skydiving or scuba or (insert anything) for the blind then, eh?

I think it would be challenging to learn to shoot accurately without the visual feedback. The laser pointer doesn't make up for drift caused by how the trigger is pulled or the recoil badly handled.

If it means less chance of an off target bullet

Sight alignment (or in this case a laser dot or other optic help) is only 1/4 of the battle for a shot to be on target. The rest of the shot is in breath control and trigger control.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

no skydiving or scuba or (insert anything) for the blind then, eh?

Sorry Kelp, but I remember when I first started in 2001, there was this lady that was blind and they radioed her in flare and all in Richland WA. I was on the plane with her.
There also is the Beagle skydivers club in Medford, who one of the guys talked about "blind John" and an honor to jump withand be trusted. same deal..and these are guys that have been around since the 70s. Ive never met John but the stories are't bullshit.

The feeling of freefall I can understand..shooting not, other that shooting a high power pistol for the feel of power???

If it means less chance of an off target bullet

Sight alignment (or in this case a laser dot or other optic help) is only 1/4 of the battle for a shot to be on target. The rest of the shot is in breath control and trigger control.

Right, but only critical at long ranges, or very small targets.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

The title is "I'm all for allowing hunting and guns"

that's nice of the OP to give permission :S

I thought it was a right