parasweep

How you sign your post

-T
"The Defense Department regrets to inform you
that
your sons are dead because they were stupid."
-Goose

I think this is the most insensitive way to sign your post as I can imagine. Just because you are a dipshit that dosen't like the current war we're in ( I don't either) dosen't give you the right to speak about those that answer the call to duty in such a demeaning way. You are truly an Asshole Supreme.
I will gladly sign my post with my full name.

Pete Luter D 763

I'm proud of those that answer the call even when they don't like the war they are sent to.
If you ain't tried it , don't knock it.

I must step in to defend someone I dont even know. The sig line has nothing to do with the war. It is a quote from what the Navy felt was one of the best recruiting things they ever recieved from Hollywood. Its from TOP GUN and its 20 years old.

Who is the dipshit now.

Flydog is right. It's from a 1984 movie called Top Gun. It's a great movie you should really see it. The sig line is attempting to draw a parallel between parachuting and dogfighting F-14s by saying that you should stay on your toes if you want to live a long and healthy life in sport parachuting. I have nothing against veterans, in fact I'm proud to be a veteran myself with multiple overseas tours. What any of this has to do with wingsuiting is beyond me though.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

There is a movie where Quentin Tarantino makes a cameo and discusses the underlying homo-erotic themes of Top Gun. I've not seen it, but I would like to. A trustworthy source tells me that it is the funniest diatribe ever captured on film. Does anyone know the movie?

FallRate

I think this is the most insensitive way to sign your post as I can imagine. Just because you are a dipshit that dosen't like the current war we're in

The fact that you take everything as an attack on the motives behind the current war the US has got going says more about you, then it does about someone signing his posts with a 20+ year old quote from a movie...

People getting upset and screaming at other people (for the wrong reasons) is what starts wars..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Re: "The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."

The fact that you take everything as an attack on the motives behind the current war the US has got going... someone signing his posts with a 20+ year old quote from a movie...

Well, for anyone that doesn't remember that one-line 20-year-old movie quote, it does sound a lot like the recent John Kerry quote which slandered everyone in the U.S. military, inferring that they were stupid for being stuck in Iraq.

Given that interpretation, I don't blame him for jumping to their defense.

Well, for anyone that doesn't remember that one-line 20-year-old movie quote, it does sound a lot like the recent John Kerry quote which slandered everyone in the U.S. military, inferring that they were stupid for being stuck in Iraq.

I think I may have to disagree with you on that one, I appreciate the original posters candor in sticking up for those who serve, but I had to stretch the meaning quite a bit to relate it to Kerry's word in my mind. Of course I know the movie quite well so I guess it was easy to see the difference for me.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Re: "The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."

The fact that you take everything as an attack on the motives behind the current war the US has got going... someone signing his posts with a 20+ year old quote from a movie...

No, Kerry's comments did not slander everyone in the U.S. military. It wasn't even close. If you bothered to follow up on the comments he made both in interviews and on paper media, it was clear that he fucked up, he admitted it, and it was a comment directed at Bush. Kerry's recent interview on Larry King put that deadhorse beyond beating.

I got the reference to the sig line right away (yeah, I'm old enough :P). I can see how it got misunderstood, with the Iraq war. I also figure that the OP gets it now, and it can lay.

Of course, this is SC. ;)

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

I'm one of the young(est) posters on these forums and even I got the reference.

And since when was John Kerry known as "Goose"???
LOL:D
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."