Calvin19

What Is Religion?

I'd have to disagree with the poster above, but I'd also want to have the option to have multiple answers. Because, well, more than one of those is true for some folks.

And there are more answers out there.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd have to disagree with the poster above, but I'd also want to have the option to have multiple answers. Because, well, more than one of those is true for some folks.

And there are more answers out there.

Wendy W.

If you disagree with me, what's your choice? So far, the only ones answered are options 1 & 2.

I've viewed it as a code of ethics one chooses to follow to lead a good life, and depending on faith, get into heaven.

Of course there is plenty of intrusion from the other factors you noted.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'd only disagree with you in that "none of the above" is the right answer. Is there a single answer? Nope, not to me.

It is a way that people use to assert domination over others; it is a good way (but not the only one) to teach civil values. It can give you the knowledge of God and Christ (which is pretty important for Christians). So those options (somewhat reworded) are true to one degree or another.

I don't really think it's a joke (although Scientology comes close :ph34r:), nor do I think it's a disease of mankind (but, again, when misused, it's not a good thing). So those options I disagree with.

When I keep it to the concept of "religion" and not "the church I go to" it's a little easier to abstract the whole discussion to a higher level.

What other things is it? It can be a way for people to fulfill their need to serve others; for people to build groups, support each other in positive ways, to incite others to violence, to build fortunes -- lots of things.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>I've viewed it as a code of ethics one chooses to follow to lead a good life . . .

I'm not so sure about that. Atheists have codes of ethics as well.

>and depending on faith, get into heaven.

If it includes "to get into heaven" (supernatural reward) then I'd agree.

Personally, I see spirituality as personal faith, and religion as all the rituals and trimmings that people attach to their faith.

I think that oftentimes people become overly focused on the ritual (religion) and forget entirely about the meaning (spirituality). Religious rituals enable some people to feel righteous even if they're doing awful things. Religion, to some people, provides a checklist of "do this and enjoy the afterlife". Without spirituality/faith, simply going through the motions accomplishes nothing except allowing the person to feel better.

Example: (a conversation I overheard in a coffeehouse a few weeks ago)
I'm not sure what was said between these two before I sat down at the table behind them, but this is approximately what was said while I was there...

Girl 1: But to get to heaven, you need to be saved, like me.
Girl 2: But how can you possibly be saved if you're sleeping with your sister's husband? What about the whole sanctity of marriage thing?
Girl 1: (shrug) Christians are forgiven.
Girl 2: Doesn't that mean you're supposed to stop?
Girl 1: As long as I've accepted Jesus as my personal lord and savior, I'm saved and forgiven.

At this point, I took my coffee and left.

I'm not prone to respond to threads with bible quotes, but I can't imagine I can say it better than Jesus did.

Matthew 7:21-23

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

steveOrino

Religion is man's effort to make himself pleasing in God's sight. In other words, if I keep doing what I consider to be the right thing I'll get to heaven.

That's a bit egocentric - are you God?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That's my point. The girl in the coffeehouse was treating her religion as a checklist instead of as a guide for living.

Go to church... check
spread word to others... check
accept jesus as lord... check
accept jesus as savior... check
ask forgiveness... check
go to heaven... check.

unmotivated?? What planet are you from? ;)

what would be the motivation to claim such stuff
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

>I've viewed it as a code of ethics one chooses to follow to lead a good life . . .

I'm not so sure about that. Atheists have codes of ethics as well.

I didn't say they didn't. I was simply pointing out that one's faith, guided by religion happens to be one way to live life.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

what would be the motivation to claim such stuff

Religous con men: money
Mother Teresa: love
Islamofacist: lots of virgins
some christians: reward
other christians: community
even other christians: love of God
Buddhist: one more chance to get it right
witches: sex
mormons: polygomy

just kidding on some of them. ;)

steveOrino

Religion is man's effort to make himself pleasing in God's sight. In other words, if I keep doing what I consider to be the right thing I'll get to heaven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. That's mankind's purpose for religion.

Christians, on the other hand, know that they wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it into heaven without the finished work of Christ.

That's my point. The girl in the coffeehouse was treating her religion as a checklist instead of as a guide for living.

Go to church... check
spread word to others... check
accept jesus as lord... check
accept jesus as savior... check
ask forgiveness... check
go to heaven... check.

Maybe it was the twelve step program.;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. That's mankind's purpose for religion.

Christians, on the other hand, know that they wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it into heaven without the finished work of Christ.

Oh. When you wrote "I", I thought just maybe you meant "I" and not "all of mankind". Silly of me.:S

Christians, of course, don't "know", they have faith (belief without any proof).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.